All Pilot Layoff

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

All Pilot Layoff

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

It has happened.

I am so sorry to all of you who are going through this difficult time.

May you have a quick return to work :)
---------- ADS -----------

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: All Pilot Layoff

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

Very sorry to hear this, I suspect this is the first of many. Hopeful you will all be back to work soon.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hoping that we get this thing rapidly behind us and for a quick return to the line for all of you guys.

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

Sad times, best of luck to all, this will pass.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

There’s no more sun destination flying. Countries are closing borders. This is inevitable. It’s going to happen to every Canadian carrier. Get ready for it.

Sunwing isn’t out of business. Just on pause until this crap passes.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I’m more worried about the economic damage rather than the virus. It will pass but people are going to take a massive financial hit in the pocket book and not going to take leisure vacations when they’re more worried about keeping food on the table and a roof over their head.

Let’s Go Brandon
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 pm I’m more worried about the economic damage rather than the virus. It will pass but people are going to take a massive financial hit in the pocket book and not going to take leisure vacations when they’re more worried about keeping food on the table and a roof over their head.
Interest rates are dropping. They'll just put it on credit like they always have until eventually the system collapses and then it will be my fault because I'm OK because I stayed clear of debt.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Or - we could all hope this happens....revenge shopping!:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ti ... li=AAggNb9

After being couped up for months - some may just want to get away and forget it all.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

How many SW pilots are active for the November schedule?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

rudder wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 am How many SW pilots are active for the November schedule?
Recalls haven’t begun yet for the few scheduled flights that will start operating Nov 6th. They will happen shortly, with any associated training to be completed as well.

There’s 7 round-trip flights per week on the November schedule, so maybe 20 pilots total would need to be recalled?

That’s just a guess though.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Any updates on recalls or increased flying?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I believe there are only 5-10 pilots recalled out of 450 on the list.

Currently there are only 3 or 4 flights per week to the biggest destinations (Cancun, Varadero and Punta Cana).

Sunwing is trying to be proactive while dealing with the new requirement for passengers to have a negative PCR rest prior to returning to Canada, and so they are attempting to have lab testing done at the resort rather than have passengers try and find a lab off-site at their own expense.

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/tour- ... w3pbHAuki0

The airline executives will be conducting an employee virtual town-hall next week that should give some more clarity to what the coming months look like.

I'd bet that with Ontario and now Quebec going into lockdown and the additional requirement for a negative test prior to returning to Canada, that it will only further deter people from voluntarily travelling south. We are fast approaching the busiest month of our yearly schedule. If we can still only fill 3 flights per week when normally we have hundreds, that doesn't bode well for passenger numbers once March break is over and the slow summer season begins.

In only a few months once it starts to warm up in Canada and people can get outside again and enjoy the weather, heading to Cancun or Varadero will be the last thing on their mind.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Sadly, the SWG head shed is probably focused more on winter 2021/2022 than 2020/2021. This winter is a write off.

It isn’t just about the virus and vaccination in Canada (which will remain an issue until then end of Q3 2021), it is about what is happening elsewhere.

Hope for an 80%+ operation next winter.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

Airline will be concentrating on a proper measured start up. Possibly summer flying in Europe. The hotels, where the money is made is already in full swing. Canadians might not be traveling but lots of other countries are.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

I’m curious on what percentage of the pilots are laid off from our Canadian carriers big and small? I know that 100% of Porter pilots are home and it’s sad to see but curious on the other carriers.

Sad indeed

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Civic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm I’m curious on what percentage of the pilots are laid off from our Canadian carriers big and small? I know that 100% of Porter pilots are home and it’s sad to see but curious on the other carriers.

Sad indeed
Just make note that there are two different types of layoff right now. There are those that are "laid off" in the true sense of the word and are on EI or having no income at all. At Sunwing, we are "laid off" but still receive CEWS, health and dental benefits (if we chose to continue in the program), etc.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Sunwing is taking delivery of 2 Max jets at the end of Jan - so there must be some hope.....

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:34 pm
Civic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm I’m curious on what percentage of the pilots are laid off from our Canadian carriers big and small? I know that 100% of Porter pilots are home and it’s sad to see but curious on the other carriers.

Sad indeed
Just make note that there are two different types of layoff right now. There are those that are "laid off" in the true sense of the word and are on EI or having no income at all. At Sunwing, we are "laid off" but still receive CEWS, health and dental benefits (if we chose to continue in the program), etc.

And in terms of actual flying an airplane there must be a lot of pilots not doing it. Trying to think how that feels. It flying for the time being and who knows when we’ll bounce back. I assume most are trying to at least instruct just to be active. There must be a lot of them out there now!

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 pm Sunwing is taking delivery of 2 Max jets at the end of Jan - so there must be some hope.....
These are the 2 that we’re supposed to be here in August. We delayed delivery as long as possible.

Return to “Sunwing”