Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Porter Airlines complete temporary shutdown

Post by pelmet »

Temporary suspension of service

To our valued customers,

The speed of developments related to COVID-19 is shocking. It is having an unprecedented impact around the globe on businesses, economies and people.

Porter supports the efforts of the Canadian, U.S. and global authorities in their responses. Government actions make it apparent that restricting activities by people in all communities is what’s required to keep everyone healthy, and ultimately to end this fast-spreading pandemic.
As a result, we are doing our part by temporarily suspending flights at the conclusion of the operating day on Friday, March 20. We will resume service on June 1. This time period allows the COVID-19 public health crisis to diminish and then time for us to effectively restart operations.

We intend to operate a schedule through Friday, to ensure all customers have an opportunity to complete trips or make last-minute travel arrangements. This will occur as long as aviation and public health infrastructure allows us to do so safely.
To assist our passengers in returning home on short notice, we’ve waived change and cancellation fees for all our flights. Changes and cancellations can be made online. If you have an upcoming flight booked with us during our temporary suspension, we will email you or your travel agent with information specific to your reservation. It isn’t necessary to contact us at this time while we assist passengers with travel requirements between now and Friday.

These are very challenging times for people. Let’s all do our part to take care of each other.

Sincerely,

Michael Deluce
President and CEO
Porter Airlines Inc
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Porter Airlines complete temporary shutdown

Post by co-joe »

I'm surprised they didn’t keep their domestic machines running.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 am I'm surprised they didn’t keep their domestic machines running.
Rumour has it that they only had 12 seats booked in April.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

My brother just flew back from YQT on Porter a week ago, before the emergency was declared. Even then, the plane was only 1/3 full.

On the bright side though, I'm training out of YTZ currently. No more of those pesky Dash 8's hogging the apron!
(Well except that one AC flight)

[EDIT]
I truly apologize - this was meant as a joke, and it was clearly in bad taste. I realize that now. I have a morbid sense of humor and this isn't the first time I have insulted people with it while meaning no ill will. Please believe me when I assure you that this apology is sincere.

I understand - hundreds of people are facing layoffs at Porter right now (and many other companies), and mere hours after the news is announced, in I walk with this admittedly cavalier attitude. Please know this is not the case.

I have been laid off - twice. I too have been faced with the prospect of being unable to pay my bills and support my family. I understand (at least somewhat) the situation the aviation industry is in right now. I was working in IT during the dotcom crash of the early 2000's. Nobody could find work. I'm not saying this to draw attention to myself, but to hopefully demonstrate that I have both sympathy and empathy for everyone affected by this, and that I do not take your troubles lightly.

For what it's worth - it is my opinion that the people at Porter run a fantastic airline. For over ten years now, I have flown no other airline to any destination that Porter serves. Porter is truly a gem of an airline that we're lucky to have here. My heart goes out to all of you. You don't deserve this.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by RedAndWhiteBaron on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
departure24four
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by departure24four »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm My brother just flew back from YQT on Porter a week ago, before the emergency was declared. Even then, the plane was only 1/3 full.

On the bright side though, I'm training out of YTZ currently. No more of those pesky Dash 8's hogging the apron!
*EDIT* I certainly understand how hard humour can be to construe across the internet. I'm appreciative of your clarification and take back my original reply after some time to reflect. Best wishes to all during these times.

Last edited by departure24four on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm My brother just flew back from YQT on Porter a week ago, before the emergency was declared. Even then, the plane was only 1/3 full.

complete arrogance. many people in this industry are going to be faced with life altering decisions..... what a joke of a comment.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Sorry, I'm not trying to make light of that. It's my morbid sense of humor coming through. Clearly my attempt at humor was in ill taste. I apologize.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 pm

complete arrogance. many people in this industry are going to be faced with life altering decisions..... what a joke of a comment.
So is yours.

Losing a job, while not pleasant, is NOT permanently life altering. It's a JOB.

You sound like you're in your 20's. Just starting out. FFS you have no clue what is LIFE altering. Try growing up.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm Losing a job, while not pleasant, is NOT permanently life altering. It's a JOB.
yeah, only a job, only like, a primary source of income. Good thing there are so many other job opportunities out there right now (sarcasm)

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

[EDIT]
I truly apologize - this was meant as a joke, and it was clearly in bad taste. I realize that now. I have a morbid sense of humor and this isn't the first time I have insulted people with it while meaning no ill will. Please believe me when I assure you that this apology is sincere.

I understand - hundreds of people are facing layoffs at Porter right now (and many other companies), and mere hours after the news is announced, in I walk with this admittedly cavalier attitude. Please know this is not the case.

I have been laid off - twice. I too have been faced with the prospect of being unable to pay my bills and support my family. I understand (at least somewhat) the situation the aviation industry is in right now. I was working in IT during the dotcom crash of the early 2000's. Nobody could find work. I'm not saying this to draw attention to myself, but to hopefully demonstrate that I have both sympathy and empathy for everyone affected by this, and that I do not take your troubles lightly.

For what it's worth - it is my opinion that the people at Porter run a fantastic airline. For over ten years now, I have flown no other airline to any destination that Porter serves. Porter is truly a gem of an airline that we're lucky to have here. My heart goes out to all of you. You don't deserve this.
[/EDIT]
Thanks for editing your post. There are real people behind our user names. I guess sometimes we forget that on the internet.

The industry is small. Bridges are easy to burn. These are emotional times for many of us.

Looking forward to having you back on board as a passenger when we resume operations; come say hello up front.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm
172ReliefPilot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:37 pm

So is yours.

Losing a job, while not pleasant, is NOT permanently life altering. It's a JOB.

You sound like you're in your 20's. Just starting out. FFS you have no clue what is LIFE altering. Try growing up.
No wonder we have a shortage in this industry, most people here seem to a hardon for shitting on anyone who wants to come into it!

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Vermont, you can ignore RookiePilot.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is not the time to be a twat to other people. Things are hard enough.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

No one is being a "twat". The comment about Dash 8 traffic was made in jest without malice, and the poster apologized (unnecessary in my opinion) to the few who seemed slighted. If you're pissed off at the recent turn of events, take it out on your industry, not innocent bystanders who mean no harm. This ain't the first time society has stared into the black abyss, and clawed their way back to recovery. FFS.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

ayseven wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm It is not the time to be a twat to other people. Things are hard enough.
No one is saying it isn't.

I take real exception to the term (permanently) life altering.

It's offensive to those who have had far more serious things happen in their life, than being laid off in your 20's. The entitlement out there pisses me off.

Do you know how many restaurants out there are blowing up, people will lose everything they worked for, the last 20 years.

And there are far worse things that can happen to you than that.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:27 pm
ayseven wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm It is not the time to be a twat to other people. Things are hard enough.
No one is saying it isn't.

I take real exception to the term (permanently) life altering.

It's offensive to those who have had far more serious things happen in their life, than being laid off in your 20's. The entitlement out there pisses me off.

Do you know how many restaurants out there are blowing up, people will lose everything they worked for, the last 20 years.

And there are far worse things that can happen to you than that.
Who said they are in their 20's? It is easy to throw your life off track at that age as well. How many older people in the GTA or really any other major city would've been fucked had they waited 2 or 3 years more to buy a house due to job losses? It's not the worst thing that can happen to you but in one month house prices went up 100k near Toronto.

Imagine 1 month being the difference between if you own or rent for life?

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Teeg »

Everyone who held short 08/26 in a Qcumber waiting for damn circuit traffic always swore "when the fu$k is GA gonna get kicked out of ytz." #jokesonus

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I wan't referring to anybody in particular. I don't mind jokes.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

All of those with the delicate sensibilities who got offended by a really vanilla, harmless joke or think things are "hard enough" better buckle up. Chances are good things are going to get way tougher. Try to respond in kind if you hope to survive. Now would be a good time to forget all the BS your parents told you about being special, unique, chasing your best life, insert inane hashtag here, etc.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

shimmydampner wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm All of those with the delicate sensibilities who got offended by a really vanilla, harmless joke or think things are "hard enough" better buckle up. Chances are good things are going to get way tougher. Try to respond in kind if you hope to survive. Now would be a good time to forget all the BS your parents told you about being special, unique, chasing your best life, insert inane hashtag here, etc.
For sure. People are told to stay home for a few weeks, and it's a bloody meltdown on social media.

Better buckle up for things to get much, much tougher in the next few years.

Practice your toilet cleaning skills....a marketable skill in any economy.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”