What next?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What next?

Post by twa22 »

I'm just throwing a random 2 cents here, but if the skydive center wants you, and they can't find anyone else then given the situation that 6 months may be flexible or waived... on the other hand, I don't foresee them having trouble finding people given half the pilot workforce will be out of a job in the coming days/weeks, throw in low timers looking to get their foot in the door, and the skydive center can be dangling the golden carrot in front of hungry pilots so that 6 months could easily be used to their advantage. Then, there's also the fact that with this social distancing, will people even want to skydive? Will the center even be opened?

All of these things are just off the top of my head and it doesn't mean that the scenarios I presented will happen, but it's food for thought... there are so many variables and question marks at this point in time
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

At this point you really should just be looking for any job that pays you money.

And if it involves flying airplanes, count your blessings.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Take the 'sure' seat now at the 'dive centre. If you get the call at the regional later, then go. It's a 206, not the Space Shuttle - they can find a replacement low-timer in less than a week...
I'm beginning to think that 6 months is optimistic - I'm already telling my kids that they might be off school to September.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

+1 on "take the Skydive job". If you're lucky, you will be flying for a living this summer, building those hours and all that. B1900 experience will always be a part of you, and you will go back to something like that eventually.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

If you already live near to the Skydiving gig, that’s probably what I’d do. If you have to relocate for it, I wouldn’t chance it. No job is safe right now. It would be costly to move to a different location, and then find out you’re getting laid off there too.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

happyflying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm If I do the Skydive pilot for another season I would have to commit to the job for the full 6 months which would be an issue since if either I get recalled to my B1900 position or the regional airline I applied to during those 6 months I would want to leave the Skydive job.
What you're really trying to ask is: "How long will this current situation last?" Well, your guess is as good as anyone else's. Personally, I think it'll take at least 6 months until we get back to the point where low time pilots are in demand. Potentially much longer, given what a massive disruption to the previous "new normal" this is proving to be. So it's up to you to place your over/under bet. How bad do you want to be employed as a pilot for the next 6 months? How bad do you want a regional job that may or may not materialize in the short term? I'd say take the dive job. Don't worry, regional airline McJobs will come back and you'll be even more qualified than you were before.
North Shore wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm Take the 'sure' seat now at the 'dive centre. If you get the call at the regional later, then go. It's a 206, not the Space Shuttle - they can find a replacement low-timer in less than a week...
Don't do this. If your former employer is being good enough to you to save your ass when you're out on the street, don't repay that by bailing on them after you've committed. Frankly I'm shocked that an experienced, well respected poster would suggest this. That shit is bad karma and not how an honest adult conducts themselves. This is also how ridiculous bonds happen

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If this is your level of motivation to do the job, I suggest you do the skydive place and another pilot a favor and leave it to someone else.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bradley Tucker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bradley Tucker »

happyflying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:48 pm Thanks for all the replies. I understand that doing the skydive pilot job is better than being unemployed however will the extra 200 hours or so of flight experience on the 206 be of any benefit to me? The regional airline was already interested in me with my 800 total hours however with this huge change in the industry I'm not sure if that time will cut it anymore. If I don't do the skydive job I can also collect EI so financially I am no better off.
I think your being a bit self centered and arrogant to be honest. it you were lucky enough to get the opportunity on the B1900 and invite to a SIM eval for a regional you should 1 be thankful. 2. it was a sim eval no guarantee of a job. 3. if you have a chance to be employed as a pilot during these trying time you should take it be thankfully and not screw over the person that may give you the chance to continue getting paid to fly. The reason companies get bonds is because of people that take a job make a commitment then bail when something better comes up. Have some integrity!!

You have just posted on a public form that the Skydive operation may be part of and when they read this you may have just screwed your chance to go back.

I wish you well and hope that you make the right decision not just the one that benefits you.

P.S 800 hours with 400 PIC is not that much experience that will allow you to be pick, when things turn around as it will not change overnight

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

happyflying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:48 pm Thanks for all the replies. I understand that doing the skydive pilot job is better than being unemployed however will the extra 200 hours or so of flight experience on the 206 be of any benefit to me? The regional airline was already interested in me with my 800 total hours however with this huge change in the industry I'm not sure if that time will cut it anymore. If I don't do the skydive job I can also collect EI so financially I am no better off.
Don't worry some 1500 hour regional FO will gladly take that job if you're too good cause you flew a 1900 for a minute.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

happyflying wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:48 pm I understand that doing the skydive pilot job is better than being unemployed however will the extra 200 hours or so of flight experience on the 206 be of any benefit to me? The regional airline was already interested in me with my 800 total hours however with this huge change in the industry I'm not sure if that time will cut it anymore. If I don't do the skydive job I can also collect EI so financially I am no better off.
Your post makes absolutely no sense. Will a year of EI be of more benefit to your resume than 6 months and 200 hours of PIC time? You don't know if your current resume will be enough in the aftermath, so you think you should NOT ENHANCE YOUR RESUME!?!? Get lost man, you're trolling us.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

You can't just live off of EI until this blows over. If you are going to claim EI, you have to be actively looking for jobs during that time as well, and the government is going to ask to see proof that you are actively applying for work. That means applying to jobs that you may not necessarily like... Pumping gas, cashier, etc. If you think you can just claim EI, then sit on your rear end waiting for a flying job to open up, you're in for a rude awakening.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

The name of the game is "Survival" - take whatever you can get imho.

PIC time is Golden - will be useful when you apply for the ATPL. PIC time is also a requirement for Insurance at some places.

More PIC time = good.

This isn't a short term event - don't see anything recovering this year. There is still a big Economic Shock coming. We are in uncharted territory.

The World has changed - we all need to adjust to the new reality.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:34 pm You can't just live off of EI until this blows over. If you are going to claim EI, you have to be actively looking for jobs during that time as well, and the government is going to ask to see proof that you are actively applying for work. That means applying to jobs that you may not necessarily like... Pumping gas, cashier, etc. If you think you can just claim EI, then sit on your rear end waiting for a flying job to open up, you're in for a rude awakening.
Is that what your experience was with EI? Pretty sure any airline guys or anyone with a salary more than the 55k that EI considers insurable income, will not be required to accept "any job."

For your reference, specifically the clause
the wage would place you in a less favourable financial situation than you are currently experiencing
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... yment.html

Pretty sure any job out there doesn't normally pay 70-100k plus unless you're somehow licensed or educated for a said job market.

On top of that, given the circumstances of the entire economy, I have a hard time seeing how the government can really give anyone a hard time for finding work when everything is shut down.

I am however interested to read about your experience, and if you did indeed have to accept any job while on EI? Thanks!

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

I was on EI about 8 years ago before I became a pilot. I don't remember every detail about how it went, but I do remember having to keep a log of all the jobs I applied for, and all the efforts I was making in finding work.

This link describes what responsibilities a person who is applying for a claim has:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... iving.html

You'll want to read the "Rights and Responsibilities" section about halfway down. You'll also see a Hyperlink "Suitable Employment" that gives examples of jobs that would not be suitable.... Pay, commuting time, conditions, etc.

Again, I have not had to claim EI under these sort of circumstances. There could very well be exceptions being made during these tough times, but that was my experience, and it seems to match pretty closely to what's outlined on the Canada website.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that you had already found the suitable jobs link. Maybe I'm just interpreting it differently, but I read that paragraph and say that its referencing your situation AFTER layoff, not pre-layoff.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

who did you get the layoff notice from? Wasaya, Westwind??

Also, which skydive outfit?

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

This coming from a 10 year 5000 hour float guy. I’ll gladly take your options away by taking that 206 job. Just pass on the contact. I’m currently looking at warehouse work for the next year to make ends meet. I wouldn’t spend a lot of time sitting by the phone waiting for the call to come back to the 1900. Might be a while.

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

You might be too optimistic that the skydive gig is even really there to begin with.

Who's going skydiving right now?

The whole tourism and recreation industry is toast. I suggest you check that place again.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:34 pm You can't just live off of EI until this blows over. If you are going to claim EI, you have to be actively looking for jobs during that time as well, and the government is going to ask to see proof that you are actively applying for work. That means applying to jobs that you may not necessarily like... Pumping gas, cashier, etc. If you think you can just claim EI, then sit on your rear end waiting for a flying job to open up, you're in for a rude awakening.
LOL

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Oh my I am worried. You must work for the guberment.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Huh...what happened to the user and his posts? they just disappeared... haven't seen that before

Return to “Employment Forum”