Corona virus and flight training

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Corona virus and flight training

Post by Civic »

Are flight schools still doing flight training side by side , or are still things normal in the cockpit?
Curious
---------- ADS -----------

Namttej
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Corona virus and flight training

Post by Namttej »

Just heard from a former student of mine that the school I used to instruct at has shut down for 14 days.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

it seems CAE in Montreal is operating normally this week.

We have a pilot there doing his recurrent training on the Global.

They even supplied boxed lunches to the crews in class.

Ruckus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ruckus »

I know the flight school that I am associated with is still flying, both dual and solo flights. There is no way of social distancing in our two seat trainers. I took the personal decision to stop flying, since I don't want to be a part of spreading the virus and I am also at the age where I don't want to risk catching it. I am also a PE and I have made a personal decision to not conduct any more flight tests until this situation is past. At my stage of life this is a much easier decision than it is is for the class IV's living pay cheque to pay cheque, but it does concern me to see them continue to fly.
I have several instructor candidates on the go, and we have decided not to come in for the ground work either. We are going to try it on line, but I am not too sure how that will work out.

TWSC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TWSC »

I was told schools in the lower mainland had shut down...not 100% sure if that’s accurate info

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

TWSC wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am I was told schools in the lower mainland had shut down...not 100% sure if that’s accurate info
That is accurate, One of the larger operators just laid off a significant number of people. I suspect they were not the only one.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

TWSC wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am I was told schools in the lower mainland had shut down...not 100% sure if that’s accurate info

How long do you think this will last? when will one on one in-flight instruction resume on a normal basis?

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

How long do you think this will last? when will one on one in-flight instruction resume on a normal basis?
:cry:

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Our local flight school has stopped all training, but is still allowing renting and is selling avgas and jet fuel, but during limited hours

TWSC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TWSC »

Civic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:47 am

:cry:
Who knows. Depends how long this whole thing lasts and how long the effects are felt on the industry as a whole. It’s possible that flight schools won’t be hit as hard, but only if there’s still enough people that want to learn to fly. Time will tel

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Vital Aviation and Vanderhoof Flying club have closed, and all flights schools in Alberta have apparently been told to close.

Return to “General Comments”