AC8839 CRJ900 SFO-YVR

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

crj_705
Rank 2
Rank 2

AC8839 CRJ900 SFO-YVR

Post by crj_705 »

---------- ADS -----------

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: AC8839 CRJ900 SFO-YVR

Post by ant_321 »

Any word on if there was actually any smoke or just a smoke detector going off?

Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk »

Well done to the crew. Looks like they got on the ground immediately. It would have happened fast, glad for a good outcome.
On the other hand, if you watch the video of the evacuation, it looks like a bag hits the ground first on the left side of the plane. People care more about their bag than their life? How disappointing, even after accidents like the Russian crash that highlighted the need to avoid doing this...

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

I would guess 95% of the population doesn’t know about the Russian accident and the rest have long forgotten about it.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I've had lavatory smoke detectors go off in the middle of the night over the Indian Ocean a long way from anywhere.

It certainly gets your attention.

AvHerald is reporting the crew smelt smoke - sounds like a well handled event.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:06 am I've had lavatory smoke detectors go off in the middle of the night over the Indian Ocean a long way from anywhere.

It certainly gets your attention.

AvHerald is reporting the crew smelt smoke - sounds like a well handled event.
It should get your attention no matter when or where it goes off.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

ant_321 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 pm Any word on if there was actually any smoke or just a smoke detector going off?

C-FNJZ a Jazz Aviation LP CRJ900 was conducting flight AC8839 from San Francisco Intl.
(KSFO), CA to Vancouver Intl. (CYVR) BC. Just after take off and gear retraction, the crew
received a forward and rear smoke indication from the lavatories followed by reports of smoke in
the cabin. Pilot declared an emergency and returned to KSFO. The passengers were evacuated on
taxiway and there has been an initial report of a minor injury to a passenger. A bus was dispatched
to pick up the passengers.

Grumbler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Grumbler »

It was the aft lav fan. It overheated and then seized.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

If you were a passenger on this flight and evacuation was being delayed by a passenger struggling with their carry-on baggage, how much force would you use to get that passenger to move along. Would you grab them by the scruff of the neck and toss them out the exit or would you be prepared to die with them in the fire like the passengers of the Air Canada DC9 in Cincinnati years ago.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk »

oldtimer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm If you were a passenger on this flight and evacuation was being delayed by a passenger struggling with their carry-on baggage, how much force would you use to get that passenger to move along. Would you grab them by the scruff of the neck and toss them out the exit or would you be prepared to die with them in the fire like the passengers of the Air Canada DC9 in Cincinnati years ago.
I'd drop kick them so hard out of the plane that they hopefully hit their head hard enough for memory loss, where they can then re-learn how to be a proper person. :D

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

oldtimer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm If you were a passenger on this flight and evacuation was being delayed by a passenger struggling with their carry-on baggage, how much force would you use to get that passenger to move along. Would you grab them by the scruff of the neck and toss them out the exit or would you be prepared to die with them in the fire like the passengers of the Air Canada DC9 in Cincinnati years ago.
An interesting question. I believe that in this case, it was really just some hazy smoke(not desirable for long term health affects although still a concern), but not an immediate life threatening event.

The link below shows an example of the immediate life-threatening event that was discussed recently on this forum. I gave a suggestion on what I would do if somebody was significantly slowing me down to retrieve their fancy shopping stuff(or whatever it is, none of which matters to me) from the overhead bin. The reaction to my suggestion was quite interesting. It is worth reading all the replies...and be ready to be forceful. :smt021

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=131869&hilit=moscow#p1077268

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm
An interesting question. I believe that in this case, it was really just some hazy smoke(not desirable for long term health affects although still a concern), but not an immediate life threatening event.

The link below shows an example of the immediate life-threatening event that was discussed recently on this forum. I gave a suggestion on what I would do if somebody was significantly slowing me down to retrieve their fancy shopping stuff(or whatever it is, none of which matters to me) from the overhead bin. The reaction to my suggestion was quite interesting. It is worth reading all the replies...and be ready to be forceful. :smt021

The real question, is would you change your approach outlined in that thread if you were one of the flight crew, and not a pax......

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm

The real question, is would you change your approach outlined in that thread if you were one of the flight crew, and not a pax......
Looking at it from a pilot point of view can be different and each situation is different. Most pilots in airliners have their own escape route via windows or hatches. With a massive fire, for example at the back of an aircraft as was the Moscow case, one could be directing passengers toward their own cockpit or forward escape route. If stuck behind a pax going for their baggage and seconds mattered, I suspect they would at minimum, get a forceful push from me toward the emergency exit and their own safety. If after pushing them toward the exit, they still insisted on going back into the jaws of death, I guess pass them and let them do their thing.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

would calling the FA confirmed this? they both sit beside said Lavs

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Here is an example of some people that are quite possibly good candidates for the punch to the face.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaGWpdSN9Us

An evacuation should be done within 90 seconds.

"Except for the Commander and the senior cabin crewmember who evacuated after the center wing tank explosion, all of the other occupants evacuated via the operational escape slides in approximately 6 minutes and 40 seconds."

"Approximately 9 minutes and 40 seconds after the Aircraft came to rest, the center wing tank exploded..."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”