schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Are recently laid off pilots hireable

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 am
Hangry wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm

I’m sure they plethora of laid off airline guys would fail miserably at your job.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Apologies if it came across inflammatory, it was a response to tbaylx who made it sound like operators should be climbing over each other for the opportunity to scoop up temporary 705 jet talent, when that is in fact not the case, quite the opposite.

Operating without dispatches direct guidance can be a big challenge for many pilots transitioning back to 704 after a lengthy career at the airlines. Seen it time and time again, with occasional exceptions to the rule. No different than me saying I could do your job tomorrow as it's way easier cause dispatch does everything. We know that's not the case. Two different worlds, requiring two different operating mentalities.
Hangry, don’t take his comments personally, the majority of the lifetime corporate pilots are there for a reason they couldn’t get through step one of being an airline pilot..... passing the interview.
:goodman:
---------- ADS -----------

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am
tbaylx wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:23 am Depends on the company.

Why would Cargojet hire a lower time non jet pilot when they can hire a high time boeing pilot who will have no issues with training or line indoc and can be online in a minimal amount of time? Thye might only get them for 6 months but the spike in demand for cargo might only last that long so they aren't worried that he'll leave when things pick up.....
Well wouldn't you know it, Mr. Sugar was listening and heard your pleads. Hope you've got a fresh 767 type, and enjoy Iqualuit.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138133
I noticed that the other day. We'll probably see a lot more companies asking for type rated contract workers.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 am Operating without dispatches direct guidance can be a big challenge for many pilots transitioning back to 704 after a lengthy career at the airlines. Seen it time and time again, with occasional exceptions to the rule. No different than me saying I could do your job tomorrow as it's way easier cause dispatch does everything. We know that's not the case. Two different worlds, requiring two different operating mentalities.
I still have spent more years figuring it all out on my own in 703/704 than I have spent having my "hand held" in an airliner.

I think the large majority of us did whatever you think you do for a long time before we came here and could adjust without issue.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:11 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:36 am Operating without dispatches direct guidance can be a big challenge for many pilots transitioning back to 704 after a lengthy career at the airlines. Seen it time and time again, with occasional exceptions to the rule. No different than me saying I could do your job tomorrow as it's way easier cause dispatch does everything. We know that's not the case. Two different worlds, requiring two different operating mentalities.
I still have spent more years figuring it all out on my own in 703/704 than I have spent having my "hand held" in an airliner.

I think the large majority of us did whatever you think you do for a long time before we came here and could adjust without issue.
Sounds good.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I think any intelligent person could see that, but people are just scared their resumés won't sound as impressive as yours. We will be back to requiring 2 lunar landings for decent work again. Sigh...

It is a good time to retrain in something else, just for the hell of it, if nothing else - learn a musical instrument, a new language, brush up on old ATPL/INRAT exam subjects online. It will make you more interesting when you go for the big interviews in a couple of years. Not that any of it ever helped me... Invest in yourself.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I think a better question to ask first would be how many jobs are we talking about?

A few thousand laid off pilots...how many jobs! A few dozen maybe.

The second thing is that we are really not talking about a lot of 10000 hour captains being laid off. Some will have taken early retirement or voluntary termination. Those pilots are very hireable if they want to keep flying and a job is available.

The harsh reality though is a 25 year old FO who has only sat in the right seat since they got their License is going to have a rough patch. It is not that some of the skills are not transferable, but the attitudes and entitlement simply don’t work. They see it as a temporary downgrade. Not a morale booster for a small company.
And no CP likes to hear “ Sorry man,I got the recall last night so I won’t be there today..”
It happens far more frequently that one would expect.

As an aside, some things are puzzling. I can recall the. “ Geez, retire already so I can have your seat” days. And now I read about furloughed pilots and solidarity. Well solid in that if they are furloughed they want all the open seats coming up, until they get back to work...then the pilot-rampies can have them. Transfer the pain.

I can not say for certain, but the sense I get over the 6 foot coffee meetings, is there are some smaller operators not willing to forgive the treachery of the streamers in the past.

Guess time will tell.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Small business ideally wants: a) people who can appreciate the company philosophy b) people who are going to stay. But actually, they are interested in getting through that yearly quarter more than anything, and if a high time guy is easy on insurance, requires less babysitting, etc, he is in, loyalty be damned.

It will go back to PIC. Where have I heard this story before? There have been a lot of people who were on a lucky streak, shortcutting the usual ordeal of going somewhere generally unpleasant (no disrespect to the northern communities, who struggle to stay alive themselves). These people will see that the house always wins in the long term. Fair is what you pay to get on the airplane.

There are loads of people who can do the job, otherwise they wouldn't have licenses, which we did not get from cereal boxes. The operators who survive, will now have thousands of CV's of good people, to sort through. Let's hope it doesn't last very long. We have to adapt.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

shortcutting the usual ordeal of going somewhere generally unpleasant (no disrespect to the northern communities,

A great example of the entitlement ayseven?
Looking down your nose at northern 703 operators.
Until you need a temporary job, right?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am Well wouldn't you know it, Mr. Sugar was listening and heard your pleads. Hope you've got a fresh 767 type, and enjoy Iqualuit.

Let me translate that add slightly. If you have the 767 type on the license with a current ppc, and are high enough on the seniority list at AC to be eligible for the early retirement buyout, take it, then while collecting your AC pension, come fly with us for 6 months to a year. You can sunset your career double dipping and make WAY more than staying on reduced blocks at AC for a few more years....

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Been there, and done that, Mr. Kule. As a matter of fact, ALL my paying work was in small communities. Armstrong ON anybody?; how about Pickle Lake? Chapleau? Geraldton? Red Lake? Dryden? You get the picture. I think it is nothing short of amazing that people have been able to avoid bugs, and other dangerous creatures, by working in cities right out of the box. I mean, good for them.

And when things get going, may well do it again. Northern operators are an essential service. We all know that. Please reread my post slowly. I judge nothing.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 am

Why would Cargojet hire a lower time non jet pilot when they can hire a high time boeing pilot who will have no issues with training or line indoc and can be online in a minimal amount of time? Thye might only get them for 6 months but the spike in demand for cargo might only last that long so they aren't worried that he'll leave when things pick up.....
Well wouldn't you know it, Mr. Sugar was listening and heard your pleads. Hope you've got a fresh 767 type, and enjoy Iqualuit.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138133
Good news for the 767 guys. I guess the real question is....when hiring someone for a new type rating, are the recently laid off guys hireable

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Armstrong ON anybody?; how about Pickle Lake? Chapleau? Geraldton? Red Lake? Dryden?

Ah come on now, Dryden does not belong on that list.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Yeah, sorry. They have a nice golf course and everything. They used to have a nice outdoor theatre too. Saw Top Gun there. Actually Geraldton had an amazing little golf course, too, now that I think of it. Ditto, Wawa.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Plus a Wal-Mart, 2 McDonald's and a Starbucks ;)

I lived there for a couple of years. It's actually pretty nice, from May to September. The outdoor theatre was long gone before I got there but I heard it was pretty decent.

Zanzibar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zanzibar »

Anyone on here know what life is like at CJ? Pilots generally happy? How about time off? Any info appreciated.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Zanzibar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:41 am Anyone on here know what life is like at CJ? Pilots generally happy? How about time off? Any info appreciated.
My friend has been there a couple years. He says “it is the best shitty job in Canadian aviation”

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

If you don’t mind a night owl schedule I don’t think it would be bad. I don’t think I could do it for years though. A week of airline stand-ups just about kills me. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm
Zanzibar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:41 am Anyone on here know what life is like at CJ? Pilots generally happy? How about time off? Any info appreciated.
My friend has been there a couple years. He says “it is the best shitty job in Canadian aviation”
the boxes dont complain

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Oxi wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:16 am
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm
the boxes dont complain
You take pax complaints?? You should become a pilot! We have a bulletproof door you know.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

Why would Cargojet hire a lower time non jet pilot when they can hire a high time boeing pilot who will have no issues with training or line indoc and can be online in a minimal amount of time? Thye might only get them for 6 months but the spike in demand for cargo might only last that long so they aren't worried that he'll leave when things pick up.

Why would a turboprop operator hire a low time pilot when they can grab a 10 000 hour airline pilot who has disciplined SOP, IFR and handling skills? Sure they eat the training costs but they aren't that high and sure cheaper than failing out a pilot during training or line indoc.

It's going to largely depend on the operation but most companies would be happy to have the experience and stop having to comb through resumes trying to pick someone who may or may not work out and probably was only going to stay long enough to get the time to move on anyways. At least this way they get an experienced pilot who shouldn't have any issues during training and line indoc.
The laid off guys are already going back to their previous jobs as fast as they can. They wouldn't even have finished groundschool or maybe some would get the type rating and be able to laugh as they tell the story of how they did one flight which was fun. That is why they are not hireable. Any company that is considering such a thing may want to consider how long they will stay.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”