Tips on selling block time?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dodgeram2500
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tips on selling block time?

Post by dodgeram2500 »

Hello all,

I’m considering selling block time on my Cherokee and would like to hear what others have experienced.

I understand I will have to add the person to my insurance policy. Is there anything else that I’d have to do to keep it legal? It’s not considered a business as long as I have less block time income than expenses for the plane, right? I’m not looking to make any money from selling block time, just want to offset some of my expenses.

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Tips on selling block time?

Post by PilotDAR »

Well, it the absence of other comments, and respecting that my thoughts may differ from other people's;

I bought my first plane (which I still own) 33 years ago, specifically so I would not have to share it. Many people before, and since, have been very generous with allowing me to fly their planes, and I have never left anyone stuck because of their generosity to me. But, I've seen things go wrong, and had to help other friends when an airplane they lent had a problem. At best, the problem was something broke at the well equipped home airport. But too often, something went wrong at another place, and getting the plane back was a fuss.

33 years ago, I chose a modest plane, and I have not ever worried about the operating cost. To me, the possible expense of resolving a problem resulting from someone else using it exceeded what I thought the income could be from renting it out. I never worry if my plane has been hard landed or shock cooled, and I do not know about it, and when I put something in the glove box, or seat pocket, it's there next time.

If renting it out is right for you, I'm sure another pilot would be pleased to have it's use. But for the potential income, be sure it's worth the fuss it could be if something went wrong with it...

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

I have had some (good and bad) experience as a blocktime buyer over the years. Through that time I've made some connections with people in the space and the general feedback it that it's a lot of work, for very little return. You may break even at the end of the day, but it will take a lot of your time.

The trouble with blocktime is that each new person needs to be added to the insurance policy and likely receive a "check on type" of some sort from a qualified individual (which may, or may not be you). In addition to the time spent "on-boarding" new buyers, you'll also have the increase risk of damage or other maintenance needs with more people flying your plane.

If you want to offset your operating costs I'd strongly suggest a partnership with a like minded individual before going to the open market selling blocktime. Partnership can be easily accomplished (sell 25% ?) and you can negotiate terms on sharing the fixed costs and pick an appropriate partner.

Your best bet for advice in blocktime however will come from those doing it legally right now. Do some searching for blocktime outfits and give them a call, or try flying clubs (which are sort of the same thing). Try calling COPA (you're a member right?!) too, they might be able to steer you on course.

Good luck.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 am Well, it the absence of other comments, and respecting that my thoughts may differ from other people's;

I bought my first plane (which I still own) 33 years ago, specifically so I would not have to share it. Many people before, and since, have been very generous with allowing me to fly their planes, and I have never left anyone stuck because of their generosity to me. But, I've seen things go wrong, and had to help other friends when an airplane they lent had a problem. At best, the problem was something broke at the well equipped home airport. But too often, something went wrong at another place, and getting the plane back was a fuss.

33 years ago, I chose a modest plane, and I have not ever worried about the operating cost. To me, the possible expense of resolving a problem resulting from someone else using it exceeded what I thought the income could be from renting it out. I never worry if my plane has been hard landed or shock cooled, and I do not know about it, and when I put something in the glove box, or seat pocket, it's there next time.

If renting it out is right for you, I'm sure another pilot would be pleased to have it's use. But for the potential income, be sure it's worth the fuss it could be if something went wrong with it...
Good advice. I basically did the same. People told me i was crazy buying a plane to earn a PPL on. I am not one to share and I believe i am a better more knowledgeable pilot by owning. I do a lot of my maintenance under my AME tutelage. 400 hours almost on my airframe that i flew myself. If something is broken it’s me who did it and me responsible to fix/get it fixed.

Some local yokels asked about “renting” or paying for block time on it. I told them. “ The engine only has so many hours left in it, and I am going to use them myself. That’s why i bought it”.

My dad says in his 90 years of wisdom “ two people who’ll never own anything- someone always borrowing and someone always lending their stuff”. Words i try to live by.

dodgeram2500
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dodgeram2500 »

Good call on contacting COPA...I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Return to “Flight Training”