Coworker Friction

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

Take the "smile and wave" approach... Queitly look for another job... then when you find one, hand in your two weeks notice.

Take solace in the absolute truism in this business that those other two obviously haven't considered:
Be carefull who's fingers you stomp on while you're climbing up the ladder of success, because they'll be attached to the same one wearing those boots at your face when you're on the way back down.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Fantasies of diddling girlfriends while dressed in a pink bunny suit are great, but I'd stick with Mitch and Clunck on this - quietly look for another job, and when you get it, give your two weeks notice and leave. Perhaps a little chat with the boss about his unfairness prior to doing all of this also...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

If you have 500 multi pic and atleast 14-1500hrs send me your resume and maybe you can get on a king air. I hate guys like those two pole smokers who took the easy way..

Oh yeah, as this isnt about "you" tell your buddy...

Cheers,
SplitS

Keep flying till the noise stops.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

when you quit post the operations name, and the 2 schmucks who screwed you

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Hear, Hear!! What rigpiggy said, too!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I'd be pretty pissed off. Those two losers just changed that company forever by offering to pay for training and do free work. Especially when the industry is good...nice F-ing work boys.
What as$holes, and i'd be very inclined to let them both know. And if that mean alittle meeting in the parking lot, so be it.
Time to find another job, and leave.

Just remember what goes around around, comes around (read my signature)

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FREEFALL »

bizjet_mania wrote:personally id go streaking before a major charter is about to depart.... but thats just me.... say who wants to go streaking! i cant believe they have websites and organize group streakings.

From the quad to the gymnasium. Come on, Snoop. Everyone is doing it.

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Definitely warrants a 'morals and ethics' discussion with the two after work, before or after giving notice. Explain to them why it is you are forced to move on from a decent position. Explain to them why it is that pilots are generallly seen by managers as an expense; nothing more than another quart of oil. And by all means, as far as the employer goes, be as honourable as possible. The boss isn't the problem here: your co-workers are. You can be sure that quitting without notice, etc. WILL come back to haunt you. Times are indeed getting better, but employers still have the upper hand and will for a long time the further up the ladder you go. Good luck.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Wasn't Me
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Wasn't Me »

Be classy, get another job and try to leave on good terms. You will find that what comes around, comes in big regostered envelopes. He will get his, either CADORS or registered letters. When he calls for help, tell him he'll have to pay.

I wish I could spell
jll19
Rank 0
Rank 0

suck it up

Post by jll19 »

first off decide if your integrity is more important to u than flying.If not carry on reading the adjacent posts. secondly don't believe a word u hear on this board as, unless they had daddy or uncy sort them out for their first job , they washed planes , and cleaned crappers , helped out the owner with his new porch got payed 3rd world country wages and didn't say a word, and have obviously forgot where they came from. thirdly every pilot pimped out his wife or mother, friend, buddy , sorta friend, co-worker for an hour of flight training. why else would u have to ask these questions if the above wasn't true ? If everyone in aviation before you had the resolve to ask your questions you wouldn't have to.These are the fact of aviation live with 'em or find something else to do

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: suck it up

Post by Mitch Cronin »

jll19 wrote:first off decide if your integrity is more important to u than flying.If not carry on reading the adjacent posts. secondly don't believe a word u hear on this board as, unless they had daddy or uncy sort them out for their first job , they washed planes , and cleaned crappers , helped out the owner with his new porch got payed 3rd world country wages and didn't say a word, and have obviously forgot where they came from. thirdly every pilot pimped out his wife or mother, friend, buddy , sorta friend, co-worker for an hour of flight training. why else would u have to ask these questions if the above wasn't true ? If everyone in aviation before you had the resolve to ask your questions you wouldn't have to.These are the fact of aviation live with 'em or find something else to do
:? Ok , so we just found out who one of those two is, now who's the other guy?

jll19,
That attitude is the reason. It's people who accept BS that make BS reign. I think you'll find there are more pilots than the original poster here who are not willing to accept it than you think. But when people think they'd better screw the other guy before they get screwed, all is lost. If integrity is less important to you than flying, when you've finally lost everything, including your job, because you had no integrity, you'll have absolutely nothing, and nobody will care..

metal overcast
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by metal overcast »

I have been waiting for the " what comes around goes around " to happen many times but nothing yet. :(
Crap seems to keep floating to the top. 8)

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Jill, I'll be proud to tell you that I paid my dues. I did every shitty job there was from washing airplanes, emptying the hunny bucket, helping maintenance, worked 48 hr days w/ the 1.5 hr sleep on the office desk, office reno's "including getting hit with 600 volts from a commercial lighting system" going thru at least 6 companies that didn't make it, "2 that didn't like my attitude"and taking a huge paycut every time I take a step up in the industry. I never sold out my integrity, never fucked a buddy, and still ride tall, shoot straight and speak the truth. I still continue helping people get a leg up anyway I can because of the lowlife scumbags that weasel their way through the system. We all stand together or fall together.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Well put. "At'll do, Pig"!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Hockey Helmet and Bib
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hockey Helmet and Bib »

Kick 'm both in the junk and piss on their cars

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Jll19
I can honestly say that I have never worked with anyone who has lowered themselves that much to get ahead (gone to school with a few). I can also tell with you with a clear conscience that I have also never done anything so cheap. Sure I worked slave wage as an instructor my first instructing gig and was paid below min wage – when I left I threatened to take him to the labour board just to see the look on his face (stupid but sweet). Since that job, I have been paid fairly (sometimes low, but legal).

Its poor attitudes like yours that has, and are continuing to lower the standard of this industry. Acts (and attitudes) like the above mentioned are inexcusable, and should not be tolerated.

Besides, what the hell is the point?
Sure you MAY get ahead (in the short term), but what happens a few years down the road? You piss too many people off in this small industry and you will black list yourself. I know a few. Admittedly some of these a$$holes do make it to where ever it is they want to go. But at the end of the day, they still have to look themselves in the mirror.

Personally, I’d rather take the scenic route and make good friends/times rather than step on and piss off my fellow coworkers.
:drinkers: :partyman: :vom:
ah good times...

Cheers.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

I'll be proud to tell you that I "paid my dues". I did every shitty job there was from washing airplanes, emptying the hunny bucket,
and taking a huge paycut every time I take a step up in the industry. I never sold out my integrity, never fucked a buddy, and still ride tall, shoot straight and speak the truth.
One winds up washing the bosses car and the other does free work on the bosses house.
So, again, how are you any better??? They washed a BMW you washed the plane(free of charge no doubt)...

You took a pay CUT, hurting everyone, making it possible for the owner, to pay the HO drivers 45/hr..

Why didn't you DEMAND a PAY RAISE for every "STEP UP?"
Besides, what the hell is the point?
Sure you MAY get ahead (in the short term), but what happens a few years down the road?
You keep going up, while others stay at the bottom and then you can come here and rant how you "paid your dues."

Go to the air nunavut thread, one of the pilots even says(paraphrased), "don't go man, it's crap, he'll have you do this and this and this and you pay for your bond.... blah blah blah... I should know I was there for 3 years..."
As well he'll have 2 clowns flying his Navajo.
"Clowns??" But he's the one who gave them their multi-ifr ride? Doesn't say much about the teacher...

Guess, it wasn't a problem taking their money and logging the hours when they were your "trainees?"
most seniority
That shouldn't have anything to do with it.... But I guess we should let baggage handlers fly the CRJs because they've been with AC for 20 years so they should get a shot before the new F/O's?
pay for.... 20 hours on the Navajo
So, just like they paid for training they wanted to get time on type... They're now more experienced...

Why didn't you think of getting experience on the aircraft earlier?? Not enough desire, enthusiasm.. Just thought you'd sit there and have the platter fall into your lap after you've done your job. Clocking in training these guys and clocking out....

Seems like they showed initiative...

WJflyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by WJflyer »

There is always that cow-orker that gets on your nerves... I have had them for the past jobs I have been working for. Then again, customers that make unreasonable demands on you are the worst... don't get me started, as I worked in the customer service field for a while.

Edit: Note: I used cow-orker on purpose. I did not make a typo.

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Always take the high road.

In my experience, you will always end up on top.

All I can say here. Good luck.

-Guy

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

Major Bedhead,
Definitely warrants a 'morals and ethics' discussion with the two after work, before or after giving notice. Explain to them why it is you are forced to move on from a decent position. Explain to them why it is that pilots are generallly seen by managers as an expense; nothing more than another quart of oil. And by all means, as far as the employer goes, be as honourable as possible. The boss isn't the problem here: your co-workers are. You can be sure that quitting without notice, etc. WILL come back to haunt you. Times are indeed getting better, but employers still have the upper hand and will for a long time the further up the ladder you go. Good luck.
Airtids knows for real. He's been on both sides of the coin, and is both sides of the coin. I know this for a fact.

Your meal ticket in this industry isn't just who you know. Just as important, if not more, it's your reputation. It's how you handle situations such as this.

Have you talked to the boss? Have you addressed this situation with him/her? Have you been clear in communicating your intentions and goals for your time at the company? Perhaps the boss has something else in mind - he/she sees that these two yo-yos are only around for the quick fix (but then again most of us are at one point or another) and has bigger plans for you?

If they've told you to pound sand, then obviously it would be better for you to search for employment elsewhere.

If you take 'the high road' and conduct yourself with strength of character then you will be far better off later on in your career. Idiots like you've recently encountered do slip through the cracks much to the dismay of the rest of us, but you'd only be sewering yourself by going for the instant gratfication of 'washing' the boss's car or spiking the boyz water bottle with laxatives. In the end, those hosers will get theirs - you just might be preoccupied enjoying wherever it is you're flying to witness the event.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Return to “General Comments”