Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Cargojet stll hiring

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Kaykay wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 am Does anyone know if Cargojet is still considering FOs without a 767 type rating or are only guys with type ratings getting interview calls? Thanks
I don’t know for sure but my assumption would be only the rated folks at the moment. There’s probably lots who are qualified and the current posting implies they want rated people only.
That's, what I'm thinking too, not many other options out there for all the laid off airline guys at the moment.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

RippleRock wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:56 pm When a wide body Skipper position is paying slightly more than —half— the Canadian industry standard.........that’s a garbage wage.

Don’t even try to compare it to US cargo carriers cuz it’s 40% worse than half of garbage.

There comes a financial break point where the responsibility, cost of attaining the position and keeping it doesn’t make financial sense.

Yes, these are extraordinary times, but they don’t justify poor compensation. To do so gauges ones self worth.

I’m entitled to my opinion.
The amusing part is the ones pissing on the job and wage generally don't have the rating or anywhere near the experience to remotely qualify for a DEC widebody position.

Yet, aren't shy to state how it isn't enough for them. Good for you, holding out for the big bucks! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

complexintentions wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:32 pm The amusing part is the ones pissing on the job and wage generally don't have the rating or anywhere near the experience to remotely qualify for a DEC widebody position.

Yet, aren't shy to state how it isn't enough for them. Good for you, holding out for the big bucks! :mrgreen:
I don’t think it’s necessarily bad from an academic perspective to criticize wages. I may not be qualified for said position, but I have an idea of what an appropriate salary is.

Improved wages and working conditions at any company help all of us. I believe that the pilots at my company are worth more than we are paid, but as the overall pay scale is better than most other equivalent Canadian operators, it is difficult to make gains.

People often point to the much better wages south of the border. These came about because each pilot group fought to match or beat the competition’s pay scale.

At a previous company, I worked to make real improvements for the wages for the junior pilots; it didn’t improve my career, but it had a positive impact on the newer pilots, the company, and the industry as a whole. That should be the goal of every pilot!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Wages: companies pay what they can, to get and retain the best people they can. Costs for non-type rated people are very high, hence the low (ish) starting wage - they have to make the money back before they can give it to you. I would assume fairly small profit margins for places that demand training bonds. And later on, the more money the airplane makes for the carrier, the better the pay - size is often part of the equation but not always. Air Canada, and every other carrier in the world does this. One way or another, they have to make money on you before you can get any money from them. It is just simple business math. I always thought this was obvious.

Zanzibar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zanzibar »

As of this morning they are still looking for type rated only from the HR lady.

Gabe_to
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gabe_to »

ayseven wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:08 am Kind of a troll-like question, but here goes: I am only going to comment on my own experiences. People fly because it is too far to walk. Most flying jobs involve some kind of travel - sometimes 1/2 hour away from home base, other times a time zone or two away. I have never had a schedule; when the boss says GO! I said YESSSSS!. Sometimes you get home every night, but it is not 9 - 5, M - F, anywhere I know of, instructing excepted. I always slept well, but apart from the job, I was good at keeping myself busy. Home is wherever you end up. You need to be adaptable, no matter where you end up working, but that probably should go for any job. For myself, I was never bored, not one single hour.
Thanks Ayseven! I hear ya. I have a pretty tight family and it's hard to stay away for too many days but I love flying.
From what I read, in some cargo companies you're home almost everyday but as you said, flexibility is necessary and I'm sure every so often you'll get stuck somewhere!

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Gabe_to wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks Ayseven! I hear ya. I have a pretty tight family and it's hard to stay away for too many days but I love flying.
From what I read, in some cargo companies you're home almost everyday but as you said, flexibility is necessary and I'm sure every so often you'll get stuck somewhere!
There is a variety of flying at most companies. Thankfully not every pilot wants the same flights, but generally the better schedules go senior of course. There is no chance of not paying your dues in terms of lifestyle. You will pay it by being away from home, working or being stuck in a hotel on weekends and holidays, and working very early mornings (up at 3 is common), nights (cargo especially) or split shifts. I happen to love long days because it equals more days off at my company. You WILL miss some birthdays and Christmases. You may find a job that works for you and that is awesome, most of us have. We all know people that have decided to forego an upgrade, better job or bigger airplane because they finally got a livable schedule. Everyone is trying to find a work life balance, and if you have some mental flexibility maybe you can make it work. Your family needs to be supportive because it does take a toll on them. They may learn to love your lifestyle too: big chunks of days off and never have to shop on a weekend again. But you need to wrap your head around paying some dues early in your career.

Jerry Boyle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jerry Boyle »

To each his own. One person's "Garbage" is another person's treasure. There are many reasons we are not all fighting over the same jobs.

If you can mark an X you are my kind of people.
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I understand that initial training is down in Atlanta and those sims are not currently available due to the pandemic.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Hence only type rated flight crew need apply until this pandemic is over.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am I understand that initial training is down in Atlanta and those sims are not currently available due to the pandemic.
Good thing the posting does not ask for initial candidates.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I really hope no type rated people are taking the job at the current rates. You should be paid as short term contractor with your own deal. You are incredibly valuable to them since they are unable to train anyone and you will be leaving when the current glut of cargo flying is over. If they were start offering much more lucrative short term contracts I'm sure more of us would be interested.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

They started a ground school last week actually. Some people don't have a choice when the alternative is EI.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Kaykay wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:35 pm
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 am I understand that initial training is down in Atlanta and those sims are not currently available due to the pandemic.
Good thing the posting does not ask for initial candidates.
I was responding to Ash’s question about non TR applicants

Joepilot76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Joepilot76 »

I am a type rated 76 capt and will most definitely not be submitting an application. It's a slippery slope....

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Joepilot76 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:23 pm I am a type rated 76 capt and will most definitely not be submitting an application. It's a slippery slope....
Could offer yourself as a contract pilot, and set your own rates. If they don't want to pay the rates you require, then that's their problem.

172cptn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 172cptn »

Joepilot76 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:23 pm I am a type rated 76 capt and will most definitely not be submitting an application. It's a slippery slope....
Want to elaborate?

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is closed
Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Do they typically have training bonds for non-type rated pilots?

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

No

Zanzibar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zanzibar »

I see they are looking Again for short term contracts till Dec 31st. Anyone on this site that commuted to YHM for the contract? Wondering about the days off and schedule. In the spring during first contract I heard all reserve in YHM with no scheduled flying? Thx.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”