Aviation Jobs in High Demand?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GoodGuy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Aviation Jobs in High Demand?

Post by GoodGuy »

Given the current state of affairs in the industry, are there jobs/trades in aviation (other than pilot) that are always in demand? I'm thinking of something you could start out as and transition into becoming a pilot easily. What kind of other skill would get you hired easily? Thx!
---------- ADS -----------

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Aviation Jobs in High Demand?

Post by igorcanuck »

GoodGuy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:18 am Given the current state of affairs in the industry, are there jobs/trades in aviation (other than pilot) that are always in demand? I'm thinking of something you could start out as and transition into becoming a pilot easily. What kind of other skill would get you hired easily? Thx!
Dispatch

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

There really are not a lot. There is a world of difference working on the ground for an aviation company and flying for them. I have done both. The only bit that might be transferable is the the "warm body" phenomenon. Early bird gets the worm, etc.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Grocery store clerk

Wal-Mart greeter

Uber eats driver

Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

"Uber eats driver"

That could make quite the headline :P

GoodGuy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GoodGuy »

igorcanuck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:11 am
GoodGuy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:18 am Given the current state of affairs in the industry, are there jobs/trades in aviation (other than pilot) that are always in demand? I'm thinking of something you could start out as and transition into becoming a pilot easily. What kind of other skill would get you hired easily? Thx!
Dispatch
Are these the last guys to be laid off? How about mechanics?

ReliefTube
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ReliefTube »

GoodGuy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:05 pm
igorcanuck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:11 am
Dispatch
Are these the last guys to be laid off? How about mechanics?
My neighbour is a dispatcher for AC. This info is a few weeks old at this point but he mentioned 30 were being laid off (they might be back with the wage subsidy). Three months ago he’d plan 25-30 flights in a given shift. Now it’s 3-5.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

The number of dispatchers is correlated to the number of flights. You bet your butt they’re not immune.
Teal laid off 46 dispatchers.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Maintenance would be the "safer" side of things, for the time being. Like pilots, there was/is a shortage of qualified AMEs, and there will continue to be one after this settles down.

Return to “General Comments”