Passport photo

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Burgerdoor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Passport photo

Post by Burgerdoor »

Anyone know where I can get a passport photo taken in the yyz area?
---------- ADS -----------

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Passport photo

Post by BGH »

If there’s a Real Canadian Superstore in your area try asking if they do passport photos.

Daryl

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Shopper's Drug Mart does them where I am as well. Some Wal-mart's have photo studios that would do them. Independent photo studios with storefronts as well. Where I live they all charge the same amount and have the photo ready a few minutes after taking it.

Burgerdoor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Burgerdoor »

Walmart, shoppers, superstore photo centres are all temporary shut down, in my town outside of the gta at least. I know where to get them on a normal day...I need one in the current covid days.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

London Drugs does (or did - no idea if they are operational during the pandemic) take passport as well as other licence document photos. They're quite good about having the correct templates for sizing specifications; and generally quick to get the photos printed.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I've actually had photos that were taken at Walmart. What a pain that turned out to be. Lesson learned, the fotoshops at walmart are independently run and getting a refund was like pulling teeth. Have a real good at the results and if they don't look OK get them to redo them.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Provided you can meet the lighting and size requirements, any Photographer can take them.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... hotos.html

Get the images printed somewhere that can print on high-quality photographic paper, cut them out yourself, and have the photographer write "[their name] Photography" on the back with "I certify this to be a true likeness of [your name]" and sign and date the back.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Gotta like the 10 year passports now. Saves having to do this as often. Maybe try to find a local studio and call / email. They are probably hungry for work.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

AirFrame wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:46 am Provided you can meet the lighting and size requirements, any Photographer can take them.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... hotos.html

Get the images printed somewhere that can print on high-quality photographic paper, cut them out yourself, and have the photographer write "[their name] Photography" on the back with "I certify this to be a true likeness of [your name]" and sign and date the back.
I believe that the only thing the photographer has to do is print the company name and date on the back. They cannot certify/verify the picture.

For a passport it has to be someone who has know you for at least 2 years and a few other details https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... ntors.html.

If it's for the Aviation Document Booklet (ADB) then the requirements for verification are somewhat different although it is frequently the Authorized Person who's processing the ADB application. https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... oklet.html

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

5x5 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:07 amI believe that the only thing the photographer has to do is print the company name and date on the back. They cannot certify/verify the picture.
You are correct, the photographer cannot be a guarantor for the photo, but frequently they have a stamp with the "I certify this photo to be a true likeness" wording on it. Your Guarantor signs it.

Note that a sole proprietor photographer operating out of a basement studio does qualify. Company name can be "Joe Smith photography," address can be Joe Smith's home.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I did my firearms license renewal recently and you're allowed to take your own photo. I stood up against a white wall and did a selfie, and attached it to my online renewal and it worked fine. Not sure if you can do that with passports now as well?

Let’s Go Brandon
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

There's tons of guys on Kijiji still doing them, even in Ontario. The requirements for a passport photo are "from a professional." So that's a pretty wide criteria.

I'd go to them if you can't get Costco or like another professional studio to do it.

Return to “General Comments”