WS/WO Layoff Mitigation Agreement

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

WS/WO Layoff Mitigation Agreement

Post by JBI »

Announced April 30, 2020 via WestJet ALPA Pilots Twitter Account:

"WestJet and Swoop Pilots have reached a layoff mitigation agreement. May layoffs will continue and June layoffs are rescinded. Details to follow."

Figure it's better to discuss on a new thread rather than something that is over a year old.
---------- ADS -----------

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WS/WO Layoff Mitigation Agreement

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Looks like someone jumped the gun as the tweet has subsequently been deleted...hmmm

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

Still on Twitter and still on ALPA Facebook page! ZERO communication to the pilot group, what a joke!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Blue42 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:53 am Still on Twitter and still on ALPA Facebook page! ZERO communication to the pilot group, what a joke!
What’s the joke!
You have the information, does it fucken matter how you got it, ffs, it’s a dynamic situation clearly. Last communication was 1700 layoffs and obviously since then some further discussions have been ongoing, appears they bared fruit and it will take some time for properly worded information which I believe has to go through ALPA legal before dissemination.
Is it more important to you to get immediate information or correct and thorough information, so far it appears you have some immediate.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:17 am
Blue42 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:53 am Still on Twitter and still on ALPA Facebook page! ZERO communication to the pilot group, what a joke!
What’s the joke!
You have the information, does it fucken matter how you got it, ffs, it’s a dynamic situation clearly. Last communication was 1700 layoffs and obviously since then some further discussions have been ongoing, appears they bared fruit and it will take some time for properly worded information which I believe has to go through ALPA legal before dissemination.
Is it more important to you to get immediate information or correct and thorough information, so far it appears you have some immediate.
No, we don’t have any information. A couple posts 3 hours ago, you can do that but not send a flipping brief email? Ridiculous. Communication can be done a lot better!!! Must’ve been one of the thingS missing from the “tool box”

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

What’s the joke!
Uhhh do you not realize the majority of mainline pilots don’t have twitter and a good number don’t have Facebook either. So no that’s not getting the information. I only found out about it on here, then had to google Westjet alpa twitter to see the post, which at that time was 2 hours old.
How is that communicating to your members?

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

What’s the joke!
No fuckin shit! Seems like guys just want to whine for the sake of whining. The email (with details) is out btw.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

hurtin'albertan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:17 pm
What’s the joke!
No fuckin shit! Seems like guys just want to whine for the sake of whining. The email (with details) is out btw.
That’s why they unionized!!! :lol:

hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

Blue42 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm
hurtin'albertan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:17 pm

What’s the joke!
That’s why they unionized!!! :lol:
Funny. Seems like most of the whining these days is from the "me! me! me!" anti-alpa crowd.

WB capts at top of the scale calling for repeal of YOS, funny how they upgraded in 12-18 months back in the day, and keeping their 77.5mmg to sit at home for the summer while others hit the pogey line or take "one for the team".

Fucking disgusting. But it's aviation I guess and its why this profession will never change cause you will always have some (not all to be fair) old guys who say "I put in my time screw you n00bz"

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Roughly a 10 am tweet ahead of a leak.

1 pm official email from Union after vetted by legal.

Yep - lots of hurt butts from the anti-ALPA crowd.

JJJ

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Why are they laying off 450 on May 1 if CEWS is until June 6th (with talk about it being extended to September 30th)? Seems like a crummy thing to do.

Furloughed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Furloughed »

jjj: I admit I am not pro-alpa. and no, my butt is not hurting. This was never about Pro or Against Alpa, It was about saving jobs. I am very happy that a lot of jobs losses were mitigated and that a lot of my friends and colleagues will be able to pay their mortgages. That's all this was ever about.

I am still laid off and I am fine with that, it's how seniority works and I have zero issue with it, welcome to aviation, not my first time in this position and probably not my last. My issue was the lack of communication and what was in my opinion this childish mantra of "hold the line". In the current Pandemic situation and how the aviation industry around the entire world has literally been decimated, I couldn't grasp the idea of thinking we should give zero concessions. It just was not feasible by a long shot. I also knew there was no way it was acceptable to have the top few pilots keep 100% of everything, and 1700 pilots get absolutely nothing. I knew there had to be a middle ground where the pain was shared by all and most people could still pay their bills. That has now happened, and I thank the NC for overlooking the Survey and coming to an end result that means 850 people should be sleeping easier tonight then they were last night.

Furloughed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Furloughed »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm Why are they laying off 450 on May 1 if CEWS is until June 6th (with talk about it being extended to September 30th)? Seems like a crummy thing to do.
If you are laid off you collect CEWS, WJ announced that a couple weeks ago. It was in all the papers.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

You are thinking of CERB.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm You are thinking of CERB.
No, Furlough is correct.

The wording gets confusing. But every WS/WO/WR pilot "laid off" May 1 becomes inactive but stays on the pay roll and gets paid CEWS, or $847 a week until June 6th (or later if extended). After June 6th it is up to them to apply for the appropriate CERB or EI.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

No, If you are laid off you collect the CERB. If you are still in the employ of the company you get the CEWS. Quite a few differences in this like maintaining little things like your jumpseat access to full benefits.
Furloughed wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:16 pm Why are they laying off 450 on May 1 if CEWS is until June 6th (with talk about it being extended to September 30th)? Seems like a crummy thing to do.
If you are laid off you collect CEWS, WJ announced that a couple weeks ago. It was in all the papers.

AME92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AME92 »

Not a pilot, but part of an employee group that is extremely busy taking care of the Jets while they are not flying.

Here's to hoping other departments do not have to lose more people now that 1000 of you are saved!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:02 pm No, If you are laid off you collect the CERB. If you are still in the employ of the company you get the CEWS. Quite a few differences in this like maintaining little things like your jumpseat access to full benefits.
Yup, those pilots "laid-off" will get CEWS, stay on the payroll and get benefits until June 6th or however long CEWS gets extended for. They will just be inactive.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Hopefully the government will claw back money from WestJet then because that is not really the intent of CEWS.

Rem
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rem »

AME92 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm Not a pilot, but part of an employee group that is extremely busy taking care of the Jets while they are not flying.

Here's to hoping other departments do not have to lose more people now that 1000 of you are saved!
Not a worry, it’s a job-sharing type of deal.

Return to “WestJet”