Coronavirus Numbers

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Coronavirus Numbers

Post by '97 Tercel »

NotDirty! wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 pm
'97 Tercel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am What's the best way to log IFR time?
In a logbook.
What if I'm filed IFR but not in IMC?
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:28 pm Put those awesome research skills to use Pelmet and collate two columns, one for right wing violence and one for left wing. Do bombs and guns first, then knives, then lynchings, then beatings. Don’t forget mowing down innocent people in cars either.

Seriously Pelmet. Do it.

While you’re at it show up at the armed occupations and ask a sampling of dimwits where they sit on the political spectrum and which career criminal they support for President. Shouldn’t be too hard even for someone like you.
Gee, I just said I agreed with you and showed the attempted massacre of politicians in the US by a member of the Democrat party. Right wing....Nazis, left wing....commies. All killed millions. Mowing down people in cars...sounds to me like most coverage in the last few years has been terrorism in the name of islam. Guns....most deaths I believe are young black men....you can let me know who the perpetrators are. Knives....most of the media in the last few years has been about London in certain neighbourhoods...you can search and let me know which. Lynchings….I only heard something about that happening to Jussie Smollet...remind me of the details Rockie. There were some fake pipe bombs by a Trump supporter though...a Hispanic no less. Guess he really wants to BUILD THAT WALL.
Jean-Pierre wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm I love to watch the Rockie horror Pelmet show
I do enjoy proving him wrong over and over...or as a hypocrite.

But we should get back on track for discussing how to get herd immunity as quick as possible while quarantining the vulnerable(vulnerable to Covid effects that is...not vulnerable to Rockie's B.S.)

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

See post above about testing and tracing Pelmet. Any thoughts about that? Are you using your unequalled access and influence with government to put in place the required level of those before attempting your dangerous theory?

If so there’s no evidence of it, so I’ll just let you infect you and your entire family first (assuming you include them in the herd) and me and mine will wait.

By the way have you discussed this with your family and they’re willing to take part in your experiment too?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Weird, at first I thought Simon Pegg’s been hitting the gym. But then he opened his mouth.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

If not from the media, where do you suppose we get our news? Trump, Rupert Murdoch, or not at all? The big business people and the mafia both love silence.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm
'97 Tercel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am What's the best way to log IFR time?
In a logbook.
Just keep a tally of every time you enter a cloud on a scrap of paper. Add them up at the end of the flight, and log .1 IMC for each... on a good flight you can probably log up to 20 hours of instrument time.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

In a logbook.
Log your air time as IFR. It's what I was taught and I'm sure many others.

MrA

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

NotDirty! wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:53 am

In a logbook.
Just keep a tally of every time you enter a cloud on a scrap of paper. Add them up at the end of the flight, and log .1 IMC for each... on a good flight you can probably log up to 20 hours of instrument time.
20 hours of instrument time in a 14-hour duty day? Yeah, that's believable.

MrA

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 am See post above about testing and tracing Pelmet. Any thoughts about that? Are you using your unequalled access and influence with government to put in place the required level of those before attempting your dangerous theory?

If so there’s no evidence of it, so I’ll just let you infect you and your entire family first (assuming you include them in the herd) and me and mine will wait.

By the way have you discussed this with your family and they’re willing to take part in your experiment too?
Testing and tracing are increasing but we can't wait, the economy needs to be opened although I am open to the ideas of people insisting that it stay closed having some of their wealth taken to pay for those who remain unemployed. Seizure could start with their pensions. Not likely to happen but I do have ideas on how to stimulate the economy too.

As for family...I am happy for a strong stay in room quarantine for you and your family Rockie until there is a vaccine(or at least stay on property).

I have discussed my ideas with family and they say it is logical, although my elderly parents seem more interested in just going out regardless of whether there is any social distancing policies or not. They are the ones at risk and they are the ones that need to be quarantined, not 90% or more of the population.

But, I see that the governments are not following my recommendations(such as my recommended policy on old folks homes). It would work but not all people listen to reason.

Jimmyh787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jimmyh787 »

Meanwhile in Italian Parliament...[YouTube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bUCWcft6kao[/YouTube]

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Jimmyh787 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 am Meanwhile in Italian Parliament...[YouTube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bUCWcft6kao[/YouTube]
I know what that guy's going to die from...an aneurism.
pelmet wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 am But, I see that the governments are not following my recommendations
WHAT!!!!!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 am But, I see that the governments are not following my recommendations
WHAT!!!!!
Would have saved a lot of lives. At least we will be getting herd immunity.

Maybe they'll listen to my plan to save the economy over the long run...we'll see.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm Would have saved a lot of lives. At least we will be getting herd immunity.

Maybe they'll listen to my plan to save the economy over the long run...we'll see.
Honestly I can’t tell if you’re an act or you really are that nuts. If it’s an act though...bravo :smt038 , you are utterly convincing.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

pelmet wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm
Rockie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:06 pm
WHAT!!!!!
Would have saved a lot of lives. At least we will be getting herd immunity.

You’re really swimming against the current.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

ayseven wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 am If not from the media, where do you suppose we get our news? Trump, Rupert Murdoch, or not at all? The big business people and the mafia both love silence.
People shit on the media but a lot of it is standard, legitimate reporting, this person said this, this expert said that, here are quotes, statistics, etc, Not every media article is an opinion piece.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

I don’t care how people feel about the man, but he is undeniably brilliant. Take note:

Conrad Black: Fear of COVID-19 is overblown, it's time to get the economy moving again

The danger of death for 80 per cent of people is not statistically significant, and there is no excuse for continuing any substantial part of the lockdown in respect of them.

Conrad Black
May 8, 2020
4:13 PM EDT

It is possible to become demoralized by the enthusiasm an inordinate number of Canadians seem to have to continue the coronavirus shutdown. The generally capable mayor of Toronto, my friend of many years, John Tory, who’s usually a sensible man, is now being lampooned even by soft-left elements of the media for trying to prevent the public from crowding into High Park and other public places to enjoy the sight and aroma of the cherry blossoms, a much anticipated rite of spring. This is starting to resemble the Dutch Tulip madness of the 17th century, where individual tulip flowering plants, which had only recently been developed, could sell for the current equivalent of over $50,000, and we are discussing the frugal and sober Dutch, not a nationality more accustomed to taking leave of its collective senses.

Canada recorded 4,404 coronavirus deaths as of Thursday night; about 80 per cent of them are among the 20 per cent of people over the age of 60, and usually with additional health problems that have compromised their immune systems. Thus, we have discovered with the data that has come in in the last two months, and especially from the over eight million tests in the United States, that we have a significant problem for a fifth of the people and a minimal problem for the great majority. In Canada this means that among people over 65 there has been about one fatality for each 2,200 people, or one-22nd of one per cent, which are pretty good odds for the elderly. And as 20 per cent of fatalities occur among the 80 per cent of the population beneath the age of 65, the chances of people in that large age bracket being mortally afflicted from this pandemic are approximately one in almost 40,000. Thus the danger of death for 80 per cent of people is not statistically significant, and there is no excuse for continuing any substantial part of the lockdown in respect of them.

American testing, uncontradicted by the experiences of other countries that have tested extensively, is that about half of those who contract the coronavirus have no symptoms at all, so the fear that people who survive a coronavirus attack are certain to have been through a terrible, life-threatening ordeal is unfounded. And thorough research in New York City, where there has been the greatest concentration of occurrences of the illness in North America, well beyond that city’s proportionate share of the U.S. population, reveals that two-thirds of infections have been contracted by people who have been observing the shutdown and staying at home. I supported the shutdown as necessary to ensure that a disease that we had reason to fear was deadlier and more pernicious than it is did not sweep across the whole population. But now, nothing could be more obvious than the fact that it is a positive danger now, medically and economically, to continue the shutdown remotely as tightly as it has been.

The confinement of millions of people doesn’t, beyond a certain point, reduce the chances of infection and this level of economic disruption is an unprecedented international act of self-impoverishment. The human damage of this amount of artificial unemployment cannot be sustained much longer, and neither can the fiscal burden of trying to compensate those who have been disemployed as a result of public policy rather than any fault of their own or the normal forces of the free market, and there is no excuse for it. I am not a gun enthusiast and don’t enjoy shooting of any kind but it was hard not to be impressed by the determination of large groups of Americans crowding into state capitals last week, many of them exercising the Second Amendment right to bear arms, to assert their right to go freely about their communities, do their jobs, earn their pay and take care of their families. When my sons and daughter and I were all much younger, I used to take them to paintball parks in the interior of Florida and was always astounded at how many adult men appeared in battle fatigues and told me what arsenals they had in their homes of real guns and how little surprised they would be if at some point they had to defend their homes against the government, as in the days of the American Revolution.

The gentler tradition of this country has many attractions, and there are aspects of American society that are mad and violent. But the docility of Canadians putting up with this nonsense is dispiriting. Escalated efforts should be made to provide for and insulate the vulnerable, who are almost all sensible and aware of the dangers and can act prudently. The rest of the population should take their chances. They have virtually no chance of a fatal encounter and little likelihood of a nasty illness. Our society must act sensibly to reduce the likelihood of dangerous infections but stop this contemptible cowering like moles and imagining that fear of the illness will ever be a policy that banishes it. This is not a question of monetizing life and exalting commerce. It is the recognition that too many in this country seem reluctant to face: that we cannot justify the penury of a fifth of the population, almost eight million people, and dangerous increases in public debt and the money supply, to reduce marginally the mortal impact of a disease that takes such a small percentage of the population.

We know from Sweden what happens when the population is adequately warned and restaurants and theatres and sporting events are somewhat thinned but essentially everything goes on close to normal: the fatality rate rises to about 2.5 times the rate of Canada and perhaps 20 per cent above the United States, and 90 per cent of Sweden’s deaths from this virus occur in people 70 years old or above. Every death is a sadness and premature and avoidable deaths are tragedies, but putting between a fifth and a third of the population in grave financial danger and at risk of ancillary conditions that can also be deadly, to reduce the mortal incidence of the virus from 320 people in one million over the whole population to 200, is not a justifiable measure.

The whole anti-coronavirus effort has suffered from mission creep: at the outset, it was designed to prevent a devastation that would re-enact the great London plague of the mid-17th century. The Imperial College in London predicted, a bit cavalierly, about 2.2 million dead in the United States, about two-thirds of one per cent of the entire population. The shutdown and simultaneous measures reduced the incidence of the coronavirus, but a virus can remain dormant for a long time and cannot be extirpated without a vaccine. Until a vaccine is developed, the best that can be done is to run as normal an economic life as possible, shelter the vulnerable elderly and infirm, and rely on the prudent majority to act wisely but not obsessively or in a cowardly manner. Having neighbours set the police on neighbours because they suspect they are entertaining a friend for dinner, barricading the public out of parks because too many will want to see the cherry blossoms, frog-marching people off beaches and fining or jailing them, demeans the police and insults everyone. It is shaming and absurd.

Telling 25-year-old couples, married or not, straight or gay, who are intimate, that they have to maintain two-metres between them in public is ludicrous. A sure sign that this has gone far enough occurred this week when my tailor in Savile Row advised that designer masks are available. The rest of the world is going back to work and to comparative normalcy, in stages, but much more quickly than we are. No one wants impetuosity; but we don’t want, and should not accept, priggish fearfulness either.

National Post
cmbletters@gmail.com

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

RippleRock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm I don’t care how people feel about the man, but he is undeniably brilliant. Take note:
And for Rockie's consumption only.....So Am I.

Release and Protect. Not fully as I suggest(get all the non-vulnerable people out an infected) but better than the huddle and destroy the economy crowd.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/e ... spartandhp

The second approach might be called “release-and-protect” approach, but it comes at a price: an inevitable increase of COVID-19 cases and casualties, and continuing stress on the hospital system. Intense resources would be needed to minimize infections and deaths through stepped-up precautions, to avoid overwhelming the medical system, and to protect the most vulnerable sectors of the population, who would still need to live with some form of distancing until the arrival of vaccines. So what would this approach entail?

Long before implementation of “release-and-protect,” weekly counts of new cases and new deaths should have at least reached a plateau (which they have), and preferably have started to decline (which they haven’t). Hospital facilities, ICU beds, equipment and all human resources should be considerably below capacity and with reserves. Sufficient quantities of virus-testing kits, reagents and the personnel and facilities to run them, must be already in place, as well as certified antibody test kits with acceptably high sensitivity and specificity (minimizing false positives and false negatives).

A planned, phased process is needed, in which people in defined sectors would be allowed back to work, subject to increased precautions, and increased testing, monitoring, screening, and epidemiological surveillance. Categorization of people on the basis of risk would be essential. For instance, those found to be virus-positive, symptomatic or not, would be placed in monitored isolation either at home, or in a government-run centre (e.g. hotel) for that purpose. They would be paid “isolation wages,” meals included, until they are virus-free. People who had effective antibodies, and were therefore immune, would be very valuable and could move and work anywhere without restriction. However, those in the high-risk group⁠—those 65 years old, with type-2 diabetes, pulmonary diseases, cardiovascular diseases, obesity, hypertension, immune-suppressed⁠—will still have to be protected against the virus until vaccines are available, or until herd immunity is reached.
So why is a second wave inevitable?

It’s essential to understand that a second wave of infections and deaths, however small, is unavoidable because the vast majority of the population are still susceptible, and the virus is still circulating undetectable in apparently healthy citizens. Numerous reports confirm more than half of virus-positive people are asymptomatic at the time of testing. Combine that with the realization that for this disease, the serial time—the time from your infection until the time you infect someone else—is less than the incubation period.

That’s why for a release-and-protect strategy to have even a chance of working, testing has to be ramped up enormously. Staff in high-risk institutions or occupations—long-term care homes, hospitals, bus drivers, taxi drivers, personal service workers, hairdressers, flight attendants, dentists, and so on—would need to be tested each week as a condition of continued contact with clients or customers, in order to prevent onward transmission.

Workplaces would have to be assessed and assisted in provision of appropriate precautions—plexiglass, masks, hand-disinfectants, maximum numbers in a space, distance/separation, etc., and enforced. Provision of such facilities would be the responsibility of the employers, and considered part of the cost of resuming business. Success of this approach would require due diligence and engagement of all individuals involved. And the risk assessment needs to be comprehensive, integrating considerations about washrooms, lunch rooms, transportation to work, and surfaces sanitization.
Let’s be honest: this is making the best of a bad situation. If carried out effectively, with buy-in and compliance at all levels, and enforcement if they don’t, a release-and-protect approach allows society one chance to slowly get back to work and build herd immunity at a sensible rate while we wait for vaccines. But cases and deaths must be minimized, hospital facilities must be preserved, and those most at risk must be protected.
Rockie wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 am bravo :smt038 , you are utterly convincing.
Thanks, looks like Conrad Black agrees with me. Good thing he was pardoned.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm I don’t care how people feel about the man, but he is undeniably brilliant.
You mean the same guy filmed by his own security cameras removing evidence against him out the back door of his office? The guy who went to prison for stealing?
RippleRock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm I am not a gun enthusiast and don’t enjoy shooting of any kind but it was hard not to be impressed by the determination of large groups of Americans crowding into state capitals last week, many of them exercising the Second Amendment right to bear arms, to assert their right to go freely about their communities, do their jobs, earn their pay and take care of their families.
This guy who's impressed by a bunch of moronic goons strutting around with guns?
RippleRock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm A sure sign that this has gone far enough occurred this week when my tailor in Savile Row advised that designer masks are available.
This common, humble man of the people? The guy who thought Trump was an excellent president even before Trump pardoned him? Think about that for a second...Trump pardoned him. How's that for a character reference?

Yup. Brilliant.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

I hold my nose whenever I read “Lord” Black ... A convicted felon who along with his big brother felt himself entitled to $56M from Dominion Stores employees’ pension fund. He denounced Canadian citizenship (which he fully expects to get back once the great unwashed forget about his BS) for the vanity of being able to call himself “The Right Honourable The Lord Black of Crossharbour”.
Brilliant?? Just like his great pal D.J. Trump is brilliant I suppose. Just another f’n con man.

Try this instead - https://munkdebates.com/dialogues/niall-ferguson

Return to “Air Canada”