Best guess when recalls could happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Best guess when recalls could happen

Post by 780Pilot »

Yea the second theirs a vaccine that's the savior to us. people just won't care anymore imo. Business as usual.
---------- ADS -----------

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by double-j »

780Pilot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 am Yea the second theirs a vaccine that's the savior to us. people just won't care anymore imo. Business as usual.
People won't but the government will. Just look round at the limitations on gatherings (non-existent, separation, etc). This will take some time yet.

J

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Are these numbers accurate for how much of the Jazz fleet is currently active ? Where is the inactive fleet parked ?? (info from the Planespotters site)

Attachments
Screenshot Jazz Fleet.jpg
Screenshot Jazz Fleet.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

dhc# wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 am Are these numbers accurate for how much of the Jazz fleet is currently active ? Where is the inactive fleet parked ?? (info from the Planespotters site)
I've heard North Bay is a "boneyard" for the older RJ's.

Keep the dirty side down.
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

dhc# wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 am Are these numbers accurate for how much of the Jazz fleet is currently active ? Where is the inactive fleet parked ?? (info from the Planespotters site)
Seems somewhat correct, although there are a few errors there. For starters, Jazz doesn't have any CRJ-100s, but they have CRJ-200s.
Also, that list shows no "Future" CRJ-900s. There are in fact 9 CRJ-900s that are to be delivered to Jazz (supposed to be 2020 but will be delayed).

But to answer your question, yes a fairly accurate list of active aircraft. Inactive airplanes are parked at all 4 bases, plus YHZ. DH8 classics go to YYB for retirement. Several CRJ-200s that were to be phased out towards the end of 2020 are currently being sent to Arizona. Most of these are the airplanes that Jazz retrieved back from GGN (good riddance).

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

Seems somewhat correct, although there are a few errors there. For starters, Jazz doesn't have any CRJ-100s, but they have CRJ-200s.
Also, that list shows no "Future" CRJ-900s. There are in fact 9 CRJ-900s that are to be delivered to Jazz (supposed to be 2020 but will be delayed).

But to answer your question, yes a fairly accurate list of active aircraft. Inactive airplanes are parked at all 4 bases, plus YHZ. DH8 classics go to YYB for retirement. Several CRJ-200s that were to be phased out towards the end of 2020 are currently being sent to Arizona. Most of these are the airplanes that Jazz retrieved back from GGN (good riddance).
[/quote]

Yup!

Chorus CPA with AC is a pre negotiated fixed cost for AC. Once those new RJs arrive at Jazz’s hangar, AC starts paying for them, wether they fly or not.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

FL-200 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 pm Seems somewhat correct, although there are a few errors there. For starters, Jazz doesn't have any CRJ-100s, but they have CRJ-200s.

Yup!

Chorus CPA with AC is a pre negotiated fixed cost for AC. Once those new RJs arrive at Jazz’s hangar, AC starts paying for them, wether they fly or not.
[/quote]

A few of the new CRJ-900's have arrived already, they're just sitting in Halifax, waiting to be put into service.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

[/quote]

A few of the new CRJ-900's have arrived already, they're just sitting in Halifax, waiting to be put into service.
[/quote]

That is incorrect. The aircraft in YHZ are from the existing fleet. The newest aircraft is coming together in YMX and will be delivered in June. The deliveries for the remaining 8 have been delayed, but most will come this year with one or two pushed into the beginning of 2021

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

47north wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 am
[/quote]

That is incorrect. The aircraft in YHZ are from the existing fleet. The newest aircraft is coming together in YMX and will be delivered in June. The deliveries for the remaining 8 have been delayed, but most will come this year with one or two pushed into the beginning of 2021
[/quote]

Ok, i'm just going by what maintenance told us. Maybe it was an apprentice who didn't know all the details. I stand corrected.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

truedude wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:39 am Like many on here, I have no idea and would take the job. "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" sorta thing. But I don't agree with the overall pessimistic outlook many seem to share here. Well it won't return overnight, I do suspect demand will return quicker than most people think. Humans have short memories, it is just hard to see through to the other side when you are in the middle of it.
I agree. I was having this discussion with an AC friend of mine yesterday about this very topic. I strongly disagree it will take 3 years to return to pre-pandemic levels. Most people will follow the herd or the popular idea. In the beginning, everyone got on the stay home train, whether they truly believed in it or not. Then people got antsy sitting inside all the time, isolated from friends, family and everyday life. The moment the first nice day hit, everyone was outside. I was even stuck in traffic on HWY 1. It felt like pre-pandemic times. I think now that provinces are starting to open up, people will have generally gotten over the fear mongering and will NOT hesitate to return to normalcy. No, not the new normal that everyone thinks will happen, but normal normal. We were sitting at Joey's yesterday (only 2 days after opening back up) and by the end of the discussion, and a few hours later, we looked up to see a fairly full restaurant, bustling with servers and patrons. The patio was full and the mood was positive. Sure there was spacing between tables and all the servers were wearing masks etc, but otherwise it all felt normal again. It was refreshing.

Do I think aviation will recover as quickly? Mmm maybe not quite, but it'll happen a lot quicker than experts were, or are, anticipating. Tell me, do you personally know anyone who will be refusing or hesitant to travel when the borders open? Because I sure don't. And that includes elderly folk that I know. Nobody seems phased anymore because the anticipation of everything opening is a huge relief to a lot of people who are craving social interaction.

Now, what will be interesting to watch, will be the impact of any second wave. I think if it remains manageable with phased opening plans, the general consensus will be that we're good to go. If the impact of the second wave starts to shut things down again, then I could see that crippling things. I'm not saying everything will be normal by fall, but it sure won't be fall 3 years from now. My guess is no more than a year or 2, if that.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

flying4dollars wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am
truedude wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:39 am Like many on here, I have no idea and would take the job. "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" sorta thing. But I don't agree with the overall pessimistic outlook many seem to share here. Well it won't return overnight, I do suspect demand will return quicker than most people think. Humans have short memories, it is just hard to see through to the other side when you are in the middle of it.
I agree. I was having this discussion with an AC friend of mine yesterday about this very topic. I strongly disagree it will take 3 years to return to pre-pandemic levels. Most people will follow the herd or the popular idea. In the beginning, everyone got on the stay home train, whether they truly believed in it or not. Then people got antsy sitting inside all the time, isolated from friends, family and everyday life. The moment the first nice day hit, everyone was outside. I was even stuck in traffic on HWY 1. It felt like pre-pandemic times. I think now that provinces are starting to open up, people will have generally gotten over the fear mongering and will NOT hesitate to return to normalcy. No, not the new normal that everyone thinks will happen, but normal normal. We were sitting at Joey's yesterday (only 2 days after opening back up) and by the end of the discussion, and a few hours later, we looked up to see a fairly full restaurant, bustling with servers and patrons. The patio was full and the mood was positive. Sure there was spacing between tables and all the servers were wearing masks etc, but otherwise it all felt normal again. It was refreshing.

Do I think aviation will recover as quickly? Mmm maybe not quite, but it'll happen a lot quicker than experts were, or are, anticipating. Tell me, do you personally know anyone who will be refusing or hesitant to travel when the borders open? Because I sure don't. And that includes elderly folk that I know. Nobody seems phased anymore because the anticipation of everything opening is a huge relief to a lot of people who are craving social interaction.

Now, what will be interesting to watch, will be the impact of any second wave. I think if it remains manageable with phased opening plans, the general consensus will be that we're good to go. If the impact of the second wave starts to shut things down again, then I could see that crippling things. I'm not saying everything will be normal by fall, but it sure won't be fall 3 years from now. My guess is no more than a year or 2, if that.
A lot of it will come down to messaging and how data is being presented. Somehow "flatten the curve" turned into "stay home until there are no cases." It may not have been directly communicated that way, but it sure felt for a while that was the goal. I would like to see more data being presented in a way the is easily understood and communicated, for large portions of the population, this is simply not that dangerous. The issue is, if it gets into an at risk population, it spreads like wild fire and it is very deadly. So it absolutely needs to be taken seriously, but a more targeted approach can be taken. The other issue I see, is that the more we look for something, the more of it we will find, which will make it appear things are getting worse, when in fact they are not. It would be more helpful to change the numbers being reported into the impact on hospital capacity: is it trending up, or trending down. That gives a much better metric to measure how society is dealing with it, but those numbers require some digging to find, and obviously not as flashy as what the media likes to focus on.

Another major point that I think needs to be highlighted by the airlines, is that (as far as I have been able to find) is that there were no "super spreader" events that came from air travel. So even before the masks, it simply was not a major point of spread.

In the end, I think with some tweaks in how things are messaged, to manage expectations, we can see much of normal return; until either there is a vaccine, or we just accept that COVID19 will be something that sticks with us. Like the Joker says "Nobody panics when things go according to plan; even if the plan is horrifying."

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

truedude wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:45 am
Another major point that I think needs to be highlighted by the airlines, is that (as far as I have been able to find) is that there were no "super spreader" events that came from air travel. So even before the masks, it simply was not a major point of spread.
You can’t possibly be serious. How do you think this thing got from China to, oh I don’t know, EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD??? Roller skates???

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

rxl wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm
You can’t possibly be serious. How do you think this thing got from China to, oh I don’t know, EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD??? Roller skates???
Yes. It was definitely roller skates.

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

And how do you think all the “community spread” happened? Some of it was from our flight attendants who got sick, didn’t know it, kept showing up to work, infecting more travellers, then going home and infecting all thier family and friends before finally booking off sick.

In the old days disease was spread by ship, or caravans coming along the Silk Road. Today it’s spread by 300+ people packing into a metal tube for 12 hours and flying half way around the globe.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Here, try some nuance! Airplanes are definitely a big part of the mechanism of spreading it around the world. Spread between people on the airplanes themselves has been relatively low.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

A super spreader event is when one infected person, infects a large number of people in a very short period of time. Like a single individual going to different night clubs, infects 50 people. There have been, as far as I have found, no single super spreader events the originated from air travel. That is, no single one person infected large quantities of other people, either in airplanes, or as a direct result of moving though airports.

This is the main problem with things like this, is that nuance is missed.

Yes, air travel helped spread it around the world, but it was through normal means of transmission, ie, one person infects one or two people, and then those one or two people infect one or two more people per person several days later, and it quietly travels the globe until we have this cluster of a situation.

But there are no reports of a sick person with COVID infecting half an airplane. So therefore, getting COVID19 by traveling through an airport, then sitting on an airplane, etc, has no inherit increased risk, as per say, going to Costco on Saturday morning. In fact, I would be more scared of Costco.

Here is the definition of a super-spreader:

noun
noun: super-spreader

a person infected with a bacterium, virus, or other microorganism who transmits it to an unusually large number of other people.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

If people start travelling again with some predicting domestic flying will ramp up first, will this mean good news for Jazz, in that they will start flying more routes than AC domestically (at least to start) ?

21cdnflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 21cdnflyer »

dhc# wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm If people start travelling again with some predicting domestic flying will ramp up first, will this mean good news for Jazz, in that they will start flying more routes than AC domestically (at least to start) ?
Considering it's Air Canada pilots' flying, outsourcing to a third party, it would be interesting to see all Jazz guys recalled and operating when mainline still has guys on the streets. I'm sure that would not go over well..

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Listen man, all we do here at Jazz is fly what Air Canada management tells Jazz management to do. If ACPA has a problem with that then ACPA should bring that up with AC management.

Last edited by hithere on Sun May 24, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

21cdnflyer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm
dhc# wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm If people start travelling again with some predicting domestic flying will ramp up first, will this mean good news for Jazz, in that they will start flying more routes than AC domestically (at least to start) ?
Considering it's Air Canada pilots' flying, outsourcing to a third party, it would be interesting to see all Jazz guys recalled and operating when mainline still has guys on the streets. I'm sure that would not go over well..
“Air Canada pilots flying”. You’re funny.

It’s Air Canada’s flying. They do what makes sense $$$. You think they’ll put the 10 minute island flights on an AC bird just to appease some pilots egos? That’s not how they make money my friend and that’s all that matters.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”