Extended furlough and going back up North

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Extended furlough and going back up North

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Hey everyone. In the case of an extended furlough at the big carriers, what are the chances a smaller northern operator or medevac operation would hire experienced guys/gals who don't know how soon they will be recalled? I understand there will be a hesitation to invest in such a pilot, but this thing has the potential to go 3 plus years. Probably there would be a training bond, right? Asking for a friend ;) cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Extended furlough and going back up North

Post by porcsord »

Personally, I wouldn't hire a furloughed airline pilot without a really hefty non-prorated bond. It was hard enough to keep 1000 hour pilots for more than a year, and I know that the second the call comes in you're gone with as much notice as you can give, which could be very little. To top it all off, you don't have the faintest idea about when a recall would happen, could be a week after training, could be 3 years, could be never if the company goes tits up. Not a risk I would take as an employer in the now employers market for pilots. Better to give the spot to a 200 hour wonder.

PS

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

I'm going to guess that if you have to ask the internet, you're unlikely to get a seat. Those jobs will now be few and far between and competition for them will now be stiff. As in, it's going to the CP's 10,000 hour buddy. If reaching out on avcanada is your first move, you're probably not well connected enough to get those jobs. That's not a slight, I'm just suggesting that most jobs now are going to be had based on who you know.
Very amusing how in a matter of weeks, "up north" jobs have gone from the ugly duckling to the Belle of the ball. I guess last call came sooner than everyone thought.

Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

porcsord wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:20 pm Personally, I wouldn't hire a furloughed airline pilot without a really hefty non-prorated bond. It was hard enough to keep 1000 hour pilots for more than a year, and I know that the second the call comes in you're gone with as much notice as you can give, which could be very little. To top it all off, you don't have the faintest idea about when a recall would happen, could be a week after training, could be 3 years, could be never if the company goes tits up. Not a risk I would take as an employer in the now employers market for pilots. Better to give the spot to a 200 hour wonder.

PS
Last time this happened in the early 2000's every employer threw the insurance card at you. "You don't have enough hours, can't get insurance"

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

shimmydampner wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm If reaching out on avcanada is your first move, you're probably not well connected enough to get those jobs.

Very amusing how in a matter of weeks, "up north" jobs have gone from the ugly duckling to the Belle of the ball. I guess last call came sooner than everyone thought.
Definitely not my first move. I do have some connections, and I might have a good lead... But it's not in Ontario, and with a little one at home, it certainly wouldn't be easy to go. That's why I'm asking generally about last time furloughs happened. Wondering if there's any chance I can stay in the province. Obviously this is unprecedented and not really comparable.

I don't think really think any of this is amusing...

Thanks for the helpul comments.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I suppose that it’s possible. But everyone has grabbed a seat and companies are now being inundated by resumes from pilots with heavy jet time pretending that their eventual career goal was to fly a King Air in the middle of nowhere so I’d say very unlikely.

Any captain spots that magically vacate will probably be filled by now overqualified FOs and FO spots can go to those with 1000 hours and no turbine time like they did in the Bad Old Days.

I’m very thankful I turned down WJ and that AC didn’t call.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The north won't be hiring for a while either. Even if they do, it will probably be the people who left most recently and on good terms.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 pm The north won't be hiring for a while either. Even if they do, it will probably be the people who left most recently and on good terms.
Can confirm, work for 703 medevac and we hired back a couple that only just left for 705 in the last year. Don't ever burn that bridge no matter how good things seem.

Return to “Employment Forum”