Medicals

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Medicals

Post by trey kule »

Let me see if I understand the situation.

Covid made going for a medical a possible adventurous challenge.
TC responded in a meaningful way by deferring validation dates. I thought that was a pretty reasonable solution to the problem.
And it saves me the price of one or two medicals. (My med examiner may disagree with how great this savings to me is).

So why are so many bitching about it?

You are saving some money. Not having to worry about going to a Drs office, which like an airport, has a vortex of people entering and leaving.

I have had my past issues with some very unsavory people at TC, but , in this instance I think they got it right.
How about we put aside the complaining about DOS based software, the legal implications , and whatever else people found to gripe about, and say Thanks. They came through for all of us in a tough time.
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:26 pm
dhc# wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 am Anyone having issues trying to open the pdf's in Appendix A ?

I have the latest pdf reader installed but I still get the message below.

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.
Grumble, grumble. The PDFs in question were produced using obsolete software released during a period in which fillable PDF forms used proprietary Adobe extensions, extensions which were deprecated in 2017.

This is a result of a slow moving bureaucracy using proprietary and obsolete software from a shitty company trying to bait and switch you into installing their product.

Long story short, you cannot view this on any iOS device that I am aware of (iPhones and iPads), or any web browser. You need to download it first, and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Grumble, grumble...
I can't use the link or download the document. Just get the Please wait message as well.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Why doesn't someone just upload the forms?

Convoluted process, as usual...

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

co-joe wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:26 pm
dhc# wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 am Anyone having issues trying to open the pdf's in Appendix A ?

I have the latest pdf reader installed but I still get the message below.

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.
Grumble, grumble. The PDFs in question were produced using obsolete software released during a period in which fillable PDF forms used proprietary Adobe extensions, extensions which were deprecated in 2017.

This is a result of a slow moving bureaucracy using proprietary and obsolete software from a shitty company trying to bait and switch you into installing their product.

Long story short, you cannot view this on any iOS device that I am aware of (iPhones and iPads), or any web browser. You need to download it first, and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Grumble, grumble...
I can't use the link or download the document. Just get the Please wait message as well.
You need to download adobe first and then right click and save the link... to force it to open with said Adobe app. Afaik, that's the only way to open it.. it won't open with Chrome, that's for sure.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

One thing I am not sure on is once the form is sent in to the TC RAMO, will they send a confirmation of your document being received ?

Anyone know

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Morning folks

My medical is also due but I can't get an appointment here in YK until August. Is there another way to get it? Just saw this note from COPA this morning that we can do it via telemedecine?

https://copanational.org/en/2020/06/04/ ... t-20200604

Is that really an option?

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

dhc# wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 am One thing I am not sure on is once the form is sent in to the TC RAMO, will they send a confirmation of your document being received ?

Anyone know
I asked for one in my email submission and received a reply in 12 hours.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

tazin river wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks
Email addresses for all of the regions are available at the below link.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine

Pacific region has a typo, the correct address is TC.PACCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAviationCivile.TC@tc.gc.ca

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

My medical says I need to wear glasses. Does this mean I cannot RENEW via attestation ?

flyingvinnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingvinnie »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:04 pm What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

My medical says I need to wear glasses. Does this mean I cannot RENEW via attestation ?
Limitations Preventing Renewal by Attestation

License restricted;
Permit restricted;
3 months only;
6 months only;
9 months only;
12 months only;
24 months only;
Subject to letter dated;
Private Pilot License (PPL) privileges – 12 months only;
Valid only when another air traffic controller available and competent to assume your duties;
With an accompanying pilot; or,
Not valid for Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME) renewal.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Someone can likely clear this up, faster than TC...

With the previous exemption (NCR-071-2020), medical validity was extended until August 1st, 2020 for those holding a valid medical in the specified period. Now, under NCR-062-2020, with the medical attestation, your medical validity period is extended for those whom hold a valid medical... does your medical now expire (depending on CARs limits for medical validity) based on your "old" medical exam date, or based off of the extension granted (NCR-071-2020)?

With the extension, my medical was valid until August 1st, 2020. With the attestation, is my medical valid until September 1st, 2021 - or is it based off of the previous medical exam date - 1st day of the 13th month?

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

You are essentially renewing your medical so the date would be the same if you went to see a CAME.

If you have a CAT-I and normally have a 12 month validity the you get another 12 months from the date you either fill out the form or do the phone conference with your CAME.

At least that’s my understanding.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Clear as mud.

So, three possibilities now. Either it's NCR-071-2020 - August 1st, 2020 to September 1st 2021 validity period. Or, it's based off of the existing medical in your ADB - 1st day of the 13th month. Or, it's based off of the month you fill out the attestation form/call your CAME, to the 1st day of the 13th month (sometime between July 2021 - September 2021). All assuming you're the holder of a CPL, under 40 - or over 40 but not single pilot...

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

The following is copied from the TC document:

“The renewal shall be added to the existing valid-to-date and shall expire on the first day of the month that immediately follows the end of the validity period of the medical certificate as specified under subsection 404.04(6) of the CARs.”

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Honestly I think your just making it more complicated than it needs to be (with respect)

Your medical is valid when you get it renewed just like the old way of doing it. If that’s 12 or 24 months, whatever.

Regardless of what’s in your ADB it’s starts from when you fill out the form or you call your CAME and you have until August1st to get that done. (Assuming you expire prior to August 1st)

For myself, I expired June1st but good until August 1st under the original amendment. Now, when I fill out the form, I have the first day of the 13th month until I need to get it down again.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Scuderia wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:26 pm
tazin river wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am I see in the thread that an attestation of fitness can be sent to TC. Where would I send mine to? I was able to download and pen the .pdf.

Thanks
Email addresses for all of the regions are available at the below link.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... n_medicine

Pacific region has a typo, the correct address is TC.PACCivilAviationMedicine-MedecineAviationCivile.TC@tc.gc.ca
Thank you sir, this made emailing the form easy versus having to look everywhere for the email address.. if only TC could've included the email list on the exemption page, but why would they?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

wordstwice wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:07 pm Honestly I think your just making it more complicated than it needs to be (with respect)
I'd have agreed with you entirely, until I got a response from Transport - Pacific Region.

Here's a quote from the email response I received (after requesting confirmation of what was said on the phone);
Your attestation is valid for six months from your last validity period, it expires Nov 1, 2020. If your health is stable, a second attestation can be done which is also valid for six months. This will bring you to your original expiry period.
My "previous" medical was valid until May 1st (Cat 1) under the "regular" rules. Even with the extension/exemption, and this attestation exemption, my medical isn't valid from June whatever when I filled out the form - it reverts to the date my old medical expired as though it was renewed then... Clear as mud. :prayer:

Edit: Apparently this is a SNAFU from the Pacific Region, they've been "overwhelmed" by inquiries and their employees assumed everyone was over 40. If you're over 40 you get a six month extension via attestation. If you're under 40, you get the standard one year.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:04 pm What does "Licence Restricted" mean?

Bump.

Has anyone contacted TC to see if wearing glasses falls under the “Licence Restricted” in the appendix? Can you renew via attestation if you need to wear glasses?

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

Wearing glasses, contacts or hearing aids are all considered medical limitations and not license restrictions. See attached link for further details.

https://tc.gc.ca/en/transport-canada/co ... 2-1091.htm

Return to “General Comments”