Language as a tool...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Language as a tool...

Post by PilotDAR »

Elsewhere, I made an observation about grammar in a post. The poster's choice of grammar was neither here nor there to the content, nor understanding of the post. Different people place different importance on the precision of their use of language. I accept that. For myself, I view my use of language as my tool for communication. I take pride in using the best tool for the job, and using the tool correctly. I want to be seen and appreciated for the care and precision of my work, be it a post here, tightening a bolt, or landing a plane.

I will use a wrench on a bolt, rather than pliers, I want to care for the bolt, and the assembly. I will land a plane as gently as I can manage, I want to care for the tires, the landing gear, and the comfort of my passengers. And, I will apply the best grammar, punctuation, and spelling to what I post. 'Doesn't mean I won't make an error, as I bounce a landing every now and then, but I'll try every time.

My youngest daughter had English as a second language early on, so I always tried to demonstrate my care in my use of English, in the hope that she would adopt that same care. She speaks very well, and I have never seen an "RU" nor "L8" in any of her texts. I have explained to her that what she's writing may one day be read by someone considering her for a job, and what they read may be the greatest factor in their perception of her care in how she does things, so show the care. She's always got the jobs for which she has applied, and I have received a few parenting complements.

Sure, posters here aren't using this forum to apply for a job, so it really doesn't matter how their post is perceived by the readers, but, I use the wrench rather than the pliers to tighten the bolt, and land as gently as I can manage, whether I think anyone is watching or not...

'Not a rant, and it doesn't really matter in the scheme of life,' just my statement of care, that readers here will know that I want you to receive my best effort, whether it's doing an approval on your plane, or it's just a post...
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Language as a tool...

Post by Rockie »

Excellent post. I cannot describe my joy at my kids writing in complete, grammatically correct sentences with no spelling mistakes.

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

Interesting that you chose to start a sentence with “and” in a post professing your grammar skills. Though I will accept you did admit to making mistakes.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Some of the best authors in the world sometimes start a sentence with "and".

Here's a joke you may enjoy:

A particular professor of English literature at the University of Cambridge was one morning walking through the market square of that town, when a man - clearly a tourist - approached him. "Hey, buddy," he said, "you look like you're from around here. Can you tell me where King's College Chapel is at?"
"I could, indeed, my good man, if only you Americans would remember that a sentence is never to be ended with a preposition," said the professor.
Whereupon the tourist replied, "OK, can you tell me where King's College Chapel is at, asshole?"

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ging%20too

"It's perfectly acceptable to begin a sentence with "And," as well as the other words that we are often taught to avoid such as "but" or "or." Writing samples tracing back to the 9th century, including Bible translations, break these "sacred" rules, which stem from attempts to curb school children from stringing too many unrelated sentences together."

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

PilotDAR, very good post. It's a shame that such simple yet critical skills are neglected; they are imperative for effective communication.
I always liked these posters from the Oatmeal:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

But hard to type properly on your phone.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Great post.

Some of the more obvious grammar/basic English issues frequently found on this forum that personally drive me crazy are:

They're vs. their vs. there
Advise vs. advice
To vs. too
Then vs. than
Affect vs. effect
Its vs. it's
Your vs. you're
Aircrafts

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Hanger instead of hangar bugs me every time.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

final28 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:03 pm Hanger instead of hangar bugs me every time.
The bane of my existence lol

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Let's also not forget the ubiquitous use of Americanisms such as "CFI" for "Certified Flight Instructor" - in Canada, pilots receive a LICENCE with added RATINGS, not certificates.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

455tt wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:48 pm Let's also not forget the ubiquitous use of Americanisms such as "CFI" for "Certified Flight Instructor" - in Canada, pilots receive a LICENCE with added RATINGS, not certificates.
CFI is just short for CFIR. R for rating. I will accept either but always assume you're talking about Canadian ratings, here on AvCanada.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

LOUD NOISES!

JUST TAKE IT EASY WITH THE ALL CAPS.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

I suppose the confusion is does "CFI" refer to "Chief Flight Instructor", or does it refer to a regular Flight Instructor, as used in the US.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Irregardless, this is all a mute point.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am Some of the best authors in the world sometimes start a sentence with "and".

Here's a joke you may enjoy:

A particular professor of English literature at the University of Cambridge was one morning walking through the market square of that town, when a man - clearly a tourist - approached him. "Hey, buddy," he said, "you look like you're from around here. Can you tell me where King's College Chapel is at?"
"I could, indeed, my good man, if only you Americans would remember that a sentence is never to be ended with a preposition," said the professor.
Whereupon the tourist replied, "OK, can you tell me where King's College Chapel is at, asshole?"
I like the newfie version...Where's the CN tower to asshole?

flyguy73
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyguy73 »

Grammar is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse or helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Not grammar or spelling, but if you want to be taken seriously by serious people when communicating eliminate the word “dude” from your vocabulary.

Return to “General Comments”