Flight Training On Vancouver Island?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flight Training On Vancouver Island?

Post by wannaflymore »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to that forum so I hope i'm posting at the right place.
I moved recently to Vancouver Island, BC and I am planning on starting a PPL as soon as possible, then maybe go commercial if all goes well.
I looked at the schools rates online and after doing my math I found out that it might be less pricey to buy an aircraft and do my training on it, mostly for the CPL and time building.
Anyone has some advice on a school that would let me use my own aircraft or do they all want to rent their own aircraft? Also, does anyone have any feedback about the island flight schools? I visited the Victoria Flying Club and they seem ok but they seem to be the only ones in victoria and they won't do training on my own aircraft...
Thanks guys.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Flight Training On Vancouver Island?

Post by ahramin »

There were a lot more choices on Vancouver Island when I did my training and I still couldn't find anyone to train on my aircraft. Ended up flying down to Victoria and using the school's plane for dual flights and mine for the solo time. Looking back on it I think I should have found a school in Vancouver since it wasn't much further but I was young and stupid and wasn't worried about the money.

pilotbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotbear »

Hi Wannafly
You might want to check this guy: comeflywithme.ca, if you want to do your training with your aircraft.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

Not sure if you’ve checked out https://www.sealandflight.com/ but I’ve heard good things.

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

Yes, I did check them out but they're in Campbell River... too far for my old car and that would screw my finance for sure. I'm surprised an airport like Victoria doesn't have more flight schools... Anyone knows why?

pilotbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotbear »

There used to be more schools. SkyPacific stopped operating last year. I don't know why since they were quite busy. All flight schools had crazy nuts waiting lists. VFC tell new students they'll have to wait at least a year before they can start training. So yeah, there should be more flight schools around.

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Vic flying club has been competitive in the past. Did they not meet your expectations?

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

Well, when I talked to them I mentioned that I would probably want to do the training on my own aircraft but they didn't seem crazy about that idea.
The solution might be a freelance instructor...

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

Wow. I wasn't expecting my post would cause so much trouble. But I understand opinions can be very different sometimes. Thanks a lot guys, I'll try and sort out and process all the info you gave me and hopefully I go with a smart move from there.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

1) I am planning on spending $30,000 on training to prepare me for a job that doesn't exist.

2) Oh, well, too bad. Ask your parents what's next.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Sounds like somebody doesn't want competition. Sorry, that's the world.

futurebushpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by futurebushpilot »

Call around to as many people as it takes you to find a freelance instructor, ideally one who isn't working full-time for a flight school. I found one in Edmonton and he has instructed me on my C-150. Ten weeks to get my PPL. Schools are the slow way to go.

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

Thanks futurebushpilot. Someone here gave me some info about a freelance here in Victoria.
I checked his website comeflywithme.ca and there's a lot of information. Based on the website the guy seems to have experience and sounds like a nice fellow I would get along with. I think he's full-time freelance. His rate is $60/hour... I'm not too familiar with the freelance rates so it's hard to judge.
I almost gave him a call but I want to keep looking around. How did you like your experience with a freelance? What would be your pros and cons?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

$60 an hour is cheap. Very cheap.

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

IS it? What's the usual rate?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

$75 minimum.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

When I did my CPL in 2017 on Vancouver Island I found 2 instructors: one was $50/hr (and $25 for ground briefings), and the other was $55/hr. I tried the $55 guy (who also worked at Pro IFR), but he never turned up for our first meeting. So I used the $50/hr guy, and he was excellent. Unfortunately he lives in Ontario now.

Anyway, the guy whose website you posted seems a pretty good choice from what I can see (although I don't know anything about him).

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

wannaflymore wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm IS it? What's the usual rate?
What are your expectations? To get paid for flight training?
Just curious.

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:56 am
wannaflymore wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm IS it? What's the usual rate?
What are your expectations? To get paid for flight training?
Just curious.
Well to start with, I'd like to get my PPL. So far, I've done a couple of flights with a pilot friend of mine and I really enjoyed it.
He has done his PPL on his own aircraft and he says he would do it again as he got along very well with his instructor and did his licence in a little more than 3 months. So my plan would be to do my PPL first, then if I still have the excitement and the finance, I might go commercial. I know the situation right now is not great but I'm thinking if I start now, by the time I'm done with my CPL, the situation might be back to what it was before the virus thing more or less. I don't know, I'd rather be positive and optimistic and try and make it work. Anyway, PPL is the first step and that's what matters for now. And then flying for fun while doing time building that will count for the CPL if I go there, right? Then yes, being paid for flying would be cool.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

PM me for info.

Return to “Flight Training”