Flight Schools near Vancouver

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

saskflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Schools near Vancouver

Post by saskflyer »

A friend from Vancouver is looking to get his private license. Being a flatlander I know nothing about the market over there but still agreed to do some digging for him. Who would be a good flight school to use out there? He said he’d prefer to keep the driving distance within an hour of Vancouver itself and preferably a smaller school at a quieter field with a good reputation. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Flight Schools near Vancouver

Post by DadoBlade »

Google flying schools at Boundary Bay, Langley and Pitt Meadows.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I don't think you can find one that satisfies all (or even most) of your conditions.....

JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

I really liked training with Sea Land Air but that was around 10 years ago, so I cant speak to what has changed. Flying out of zbb means you wont get the quiet field but you will get very comfortable very quickly with talking to atc and keeping up in a busy pattern. Just have to be very careful and aware in the practice areas to the east (its been a while, forget the name glenn valley...fraser something...) it can be a bit of a zoo

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

There are no quiet fields within an hour of Vancouver. Squamish CYSE would be the nearest miss.

I learned to fly at Langley. Tiny runways so you learn to land properly. And adjacent to Glen Valley.

...laura

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Yeah I second Langley. Very busy area though, makes O'Hare look like Fort Liard.

A350_1987
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by A350_1987 »

Langley Flying School seemed to have a really great atmosphere and decent rates at the Langley airport.
Was also closer to the common practice area then some other schools around. Was going to do a PPL there a few years ago until life got in the way. Worth a look.

ba31pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ba31pilot »

SkyQuest Aviation in Langley ran a great program when I was there. It has been a few years, but the CFI knew his stuff and the planes were always kept in good shape.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Blue bird academy.. :smt040

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

Depends where the person lives in lower mainland.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

Last edited by challenger_nami on Sat May 08, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Av8r7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Av8r7 »

I'll second the SkyQuest, its been a few years but their prices were good and so was the program, didn't waste money and didn't go through any BS. got whati paid for and they worked around my schedule. worth a look!

flyinggenius35
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyinggenius35 »

I’m a big fan of Montair out in the valley, not sure if they’re still there. As a GA guy they are good to me

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

flyinggenius35 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:34 pm I’m a big fan of Montair out in the valley, not sure if they’re still there. As a GA guy they are good to me
It's obviously been a while. Nowadays you want to avoid Montair like the plague. They do the bulk of their flight training in Red Deer.

...laura

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I have rented at Langley Flying School. It was average in my opinion but that should not be taken as a slight. Most schools are average. I only flew the old Cherokees which was fine by me and the maintenance during my experience there was satisfactory. Toward the end, it was difficult to get bookings. The airport is a good one to learn at for gaining experience at a busy place with confined airspace and shorter runways and congestion. Overall, I was happy with my experience there.

Seeing as your friend is looking for a quieter field, he might want to consider a different location.

vova_k
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vova_k »

challenger_nami wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 amMost of the flight schools in lower mainland BC are now owned by foreign entities from West of British Columbia. There are not many independent flight schools anymore, but you can find a few.
example: Classic Aviation in CYPK
https://www.chinookhelicopters.com/airplane-training/ in CYXX is another example

Return to “General Comments”