Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am Why is this even an issue?
Because these people:
Heliian wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 amDon't like it then don't go anywhere.
won't travel. And most people on this forum would like their job back.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Staying home is the option for those who won't consider others. Wear a mask? Big bloody deal.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

If I was running an airline, I would let people choose for themselves. If they want to wear a mask, then just wear it. If they don't want to, then they shouldn't be forced to. I wouldn't tolerate the "mask police", they will get kicked off my my flight with no refund policy.

My message to the mask police: Mind your own f**kn business, no one is telling you not to wear one and you have no right to force others to wear one.

End of rant.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am If I was running an airline, I would let people choose for themselves.
People do have a choice, get on the plane or don't.

What is it about that you find confusing?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I'm curious, if you knew for sure that the person sitting next to you has COVID, but no symptoms, would you still sit next to him even though you are both wearing masks?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:59 am
wan2fly99 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 am I look at science
Do you have copies of any peer reviewed papers on the subject? Or are you just repeating what you read online that others call 'the science'.

Some interesting numbers these days. Something to take note of, Richmond has a population demographic that is pre-disposed to wearing masks, while the rest of the lower mainland not so much. I have friends that live there, they were over on the island recently and expressed surprise at how few folks were wearing masks. Now check out the numbers of cases in Richmond as compared to the rest of the greater Vancouver area. The difference in case loads between Richmond and the rest is pretty telling.
It probably has to do with the fact that a lot of people of Asian descent have settled in Richmond. Some will have dealt with SARS, etc. and they have that experience. The Chinese community in Richmond acted responsibly from the start. They took isolation seriously and some groups even set up a ride service from YVR that got people home and set up with groceries, etc. while they isolated.

On the Island, there have been very few events until recently. One article stated that if Vancouver Island were a country, they would be something like fourth in the world with dealing with the virus effectively. Since June the numbers have increased, but still quite low. Many people feel the case load is so low, they don't have to worry about it. I see an increase in mask use lately, with a increase in users in grocery stores, etc. It can't hurt and I wish the province would just mandate masks inside of stores and be done with it.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 am

Ok ok. Let's suppose for sake of argument, the policy is- Only naked people allowed on the flight.

People have a choice, get on the plane or don't. Someone needs to go visit a sick family member but only one airline is operating. What will you do?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:27 am
Rockie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:11 am

Ok ok. Let suppose for sake of argument, the policy is- Only naked people allowed on the flight.

People have a choice, get on the plane or don't. Someone needs to go visit a sick family member but only one airline is operating. What will you do?
I tried answering this seriously but just couldn't stop laughing so I gave up.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am If I was running an airline, I would let people choose for themselves. If they want to wear a mask, then just wear it. If they don't want to, then they shouldn't be forced to. I wouldn't tolerate the "mask police", they will get kicked off my my flight with no refund policy.

My message to the mask police: Mind your own f**kn business, no one is telling you not to wear one and you have no right to force others to wear one.

End of rant.
If you were running an airline, you would be the mask police, it is a requirement these days, I've had plenty of communication from our POI on this subject.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

It wouldn't be the end of the world if certain "high net worth" people became "high viral load" people. As long as they stay in their executive mailing-tubes and stay away from the rest of us.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

WestJet spokesman was being interviewed yesterday on the radio in Calgary and he was asked when the year long embargo would kick in for those who refused to wear a mask. He said immediately and then gave an example if the offence was committed by a passenger who arrived at their connection point to another WestJet flight, they would be denied boarding on that flight. In other words left to get to their final destination using any transportation except WestJet. Interesting if accurate.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Rockie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 am I tried answering this seriously but just couldn't stop laughing so I gave up.
Haha, I laugh too with the "MANDATORY mask" policy (and the law). Its a joke.
goldeneagle wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:38 am If you were running an airline, you would be the mask police, it is a requirement these days, I've had plenty of communication from our POI on this subject.
Unfortunately your statement is true. However, I would be against it and would challenge the government, or at least make the effort.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

You know what sticks in my craw? Seatbelts. If I ever get into an accident, I want to be thrown clear of my vehicle. If it happens to be straight through the windshield, then oh well.

It's a respiratory virus. It's not going to kill you to wear a F***king mask.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

digits_ wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:16 am I'm curious, if you knew for sure that the person sitting next to you has COVID, but no symptoms, would you still sit next to him even though you are both wearing masks?
Umm, no that seems like excessive risk, it’s about reducing the risk. This positive person should be at home under quarantine not in the seat next to me.
For fun, yesterday I was at my favourite store getting my weekly, sometimes bi-weekly groceries and every person that got within my 6 foot bubble who wasn’t wearing a mask was met with a few coughs by me. I was wearing a mask and have been very careful when out so I should be Covid free but I wonder if they got the point.
northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am If I was running an airline, I would let people choose for themselves. If they want to wear a mask, then just wear it. If they don't want to, then they shouldn't be forced to. I wouldn't tolerate the "mask police", they will get kicked off my my flight with no refund policy.

End of rant.
As for this post, you have no right to submit me or others to the health risks of passing your fucking Covid around freely. Go back and read my post on how the science works.
As for your ridiculous your post about naked air, you can’t die from sitting beside a naked person, unless that fucking idiot has Covid and isn’t wearing a mask.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

The debate over masks is hilarious. My favorite part is everyone picks and chooses when to follow the rules. Many people drive well over the speed limit doing 20 plus over the speed limit. Speeding kills, and puts the driver and others at risk. I know people who are supposed to have a social circle of 10 by the rules in phase 3 in Ontario, yet they congregate with many in plain sight with 20 plus individuals without distance and without masks. Then you ask these same people about back to school and they are in complete fear of it and say it's not safe... You ask them why they wear a mask when they go to the store and they say "it's the law and I follow the law"... Yeah ummm ok I have seen you social circle of over 20 close contacts, and I have seen you rip it into your driveway like a soccer mom with no regards for your vans suspension slamming the curb, I can just about guarantee you drive 20 over the limit everywhere because speed limit to you means follow the person in front of you bumper to bumper. How on earth would you know how fast to drive without vehicles to follow. I could go on all day about mask policy and how stupid some of it is.

The best defence for it is that it limits risk, so even when the policy obviously has flaws like you can take it off to eat, well the idea is we limit risk not eliminate it. But this is why it's all shades of grey. If I eat a sloth speed can I leave my mask off for a whole flight while I chew my carrots like a rabbit for 3 hours?

So I'm against enforcement of masks, I'm against it being the law. Mostly because people are so completely stupid and pick and choose what laws to follow. I think recommending a mask is great. Even offering free masks to everyone as its kind of hard to say no to a mask when it's right there with a little encouragement. Of course 5 percent will still defer, and that's fine. I honestly think things would be better off making it optional. You might even get more compliance that way.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:40 pm As for this post, you have no right to submit me or others to the health risks of passing your fucking Covid around freely. Go back and read my post on how the science works.
As for your ridiculous your post about naked air, you can’t die from sitting beside a naked person, unless that fucking idiot has Covid and isn’t wearing a mask.
If you "choose" to come out then put on a mask if your so afraid, or just stay home. Don't blame others for your choices. You cant tell anyone what they should do in their own space. I'm not telling you to stay home or wear a mask, that's totally up to you, just offering a suggestion so we can both get along in public. Cheers

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

montado wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 pm The debate over masks is hilarious. My favorite part is everyone picks and chooses when to follow the rules. Many people drive well over the speed limit doing 20 plus over the speed limit. Speeding kills, and puts the driver and others at risk. I know people who are supposed to have a social circle of 10 .............
I agree with mostly what you say. I just don't quite agree with your statement about people who don't follow the law are stupid. I think people are smarter than the law sometimes, and should be able to think for themselves. Sometimes its safer to break the law depending on the situation. You brought up the speeding topic. Lets use highway 100 speed in this example. If everyone is driving 120, your ass better be driving 120. Otherwise, if you slow down, you will cause an accident or increase the risk of doing so.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:49 pm
mbav8r wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:40 pm As for this post, you have no right to submit me or others to the health risks of passing your fucking Covid around freely. Go back and read my post on how the science works.
If you "choose" to come out then put on a mask if your so afraid, or just stay home. Don't blame others for your choices. You cant tell anyone what they should do in their own space. I'm not telling you to stay home or wear a mask, that's totally up to you, just offering a suggestion so we can both get along in public. Cheers
You clearly don’t fucking get it! If I wear a mask, it’s protecting you more than me, if I’m wearing an n95 and face shield then ok.
It’s because of people like you that masks are mandatory instead of recommended, it’s such an inconvenience for you to protect your fellow humans from you should you accidentally or not, contract Covid.
My earlier explanation that even a kindergartener would understand,
“Let me explain in the simplest way how the science works.
If you walk around naked and someone pees on you, you’ll get wet. If you have pants on and that same person pees on you, your pants get wet but you are partially protected, now if the other person is wearing pants, he will pee in his pants and you will be completely protected, now do you get it?”

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

northernpilot2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:59 pm
montado wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 pm The debate over masks is hilarious. My favorite part is everyone picks and chooses when to follow the rules. Many people drive well over the speed limit doing 20 plus over the speed limit. Speeding kills, and puts the driver and others at risk. I know people who are supposed to have a social circle of 10 .............
I agree with mostly what you say. I just don't quite agree with your statement about people who don't follow the law are stupid. I think people are smarter than the law sometimes, and should be able to think for themselves. Sometimes its safer to break the law depending on the situation. You brought up the speeding topic. Lets use highway 100 speed in this example. If everyone is driving 120, your ass better be driving 120. Otherwise, if you slow down, you will cause an accident or increase the risk of doing so.
Yes but the highway was assessed for a 100 speed limit. Now you are saying I have to break the law and be non compliant like the others. What if I get in an accident and my insurance says why were you doing 120?

I'm not saying people are stupid for not following the law. People are stupid how they say they follow the law but really have a bias and pick and choose. Guaranteed for every super pro mask person I find who argue they follow the law and its important, I can find many laws they break and many of them may even pose risks to life such as speeding on the highway. I just don't think you can have it both ways.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:05 pm
You clearly don’t fucking get it!
He gets it, he just doesn't give a shit. It's easy in a time like this to see who actually GAS about neighbors, and who lives in the 'its all about me, screw the rest of you' kind of world.

Return to “General Comments”