Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

gwengler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Post by gwengler »

---------- ADS -----------

PilotZum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Post by PilotZum »

He was definitely not ready for a solo flight :shock: :shock:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The control inputs applied are really interesting. Full throttle, full back yoke, and (at the end) full right aileron.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Not likely to buff out.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

PilotZum wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:44 am He was definitely not ready for a solo flight :shock: :shock:
No kidding. A bit hard to tell from the video, but it looked to me like he wasn’t too sure what his feet should be doing... Glad to hear that he sustained only minor injuries. This should be a lesson to instructors to be stringent on the basics before signing your students out solo.

Last edited by Blowin' In The Wind on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

The student pilot was taken to the hospital for assessment, but received only minor injuries.
:shock:

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Canadian Flyers definitely had a bad week. One student flys a plane into a hanger and then a couple of days later they lose a plane to an engine failure! Thankfully there was no lose of life and it seems like not even any serious injuries. Sure makes you wonder what happens to their insurance.....? I can only imagine what they are going through, carrying all of the expenses while shutdown due to Covid and then, when you can finally start getting some bums back in those seats you have a week like that! Not only are you now down the 2 planes but those planes are now not paying any of the bills to keep the lights on.
Hopefully they make it through this....
Good reminder to always have your head up when you are taxiing to an active runway, you never know where that threat may come from!

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

photofly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 am The control inputs applied are really interesting. Full throttle, full back yoke, and (at the end) full right aileron.
That's the fullest rightest aileron I've ever seen. Never seen the yoke go 180 degrees to the right before.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

AIRPLANES 101: Unlike cars, on the ground airplanes turn by applying the rudder pedals and not by the control column. That can confuse a very new pilot, just like a new driver may confuse accelerator (gas) and Brake pedals.

I am glad/hope he is not seriously injured.
Was it his very first solo?

Last edited by challenger_nami on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

This has got to be the funniest aviation video ever... i guess he never learned what that red knob thing is and when to use it.. going off the runway would have been a good time.. or maybe when heading full power towards a hangar? This guy needs to quit now... worst decision making EVER.. glad he survived.. but hope this haunts him forever. What a joke

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Nothing funny whatsoever about this very sad situation.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

Onesie wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 am .. but hope this haunts him forever. What a joke

the moment I laugh at someone’s misfortune and hope them to be haunted by a bad memory, bad things start coming my way. That’s why I won’t be laughing at this situation. Karma is a Bi*ch.

I hope this young pilot recovers and learns from this situation, and goes on to be a much better and safer pilot.

Last edited by challenger_nami on Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, as startling and worrisome as this video is, I have more sympathy for this pilot, than desire to laugh at the event. This is partly on an instructor who sent this pilot solo. For the few times I have sent a pilot solo, I've sat, watched, and sweated, have I really impressed all of the important lessons, and instinctive reactions to this pilot, and correctly assessed if they will apply will apply them instantly as needed? This pilot did not have needed instincts yet, and that is not entirely his fault.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

As a student you are under supervision of an instructor. If anyone is haunted by this it will be the instructor. It could have ended worse than it did, thankfully it did not. It would be interesting to learn why, once things went sideways (both figuratively and literally), the student made the decisions he did.

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

Onesie wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 am This has got to be the funniest aviation video ever... i guess he never learned what that red knob thing is and when to use it.. going off the runway would have been a good time.. or maybe when heading full power towards a hangar? This guy needs to quit now... worst decision making EVER.. glad he survived.. but hope this haunts him forever. What a joke
The only joke here is you. What an asinine comment

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The accident rates for second solo flights are higher than first solo .
The Laws of Interference , Primacy and the Theory of Forgetting are all clearly demonstrated in this brief clip .

This will be an excellent instructing tool and discussion piece .

WTF

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

It sort of looks like he pulls the throttle at about 7 or 8 seconds, doesn't get the aircraft response the way he wants then at 9 seconds, slams the throttle to the firewall. Trying to get enough power to pull himself back onto the center line? Never reaches for the mixture. Hard to tell exactly what his feet are doing his knees are all over the place.
The instructor will have nightmares over this one for a long time.
Definitely a video to add to the training program.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:03 am Not likely to buff out.
Agree. It's not funny at all. I regret this comment. I hope he is ok mentally as well.

hank998899
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hank998899 »

I was there 15 minutes after the accident as I work right next to the airport and someone came over and said "A PLANE CRASHED!!!!"

The student pilot was landing Runway 33 and the winds were almost directly 90 degrees to the runway. I remember that with these winds, I was not allowed to go for a student solo when I used to train out of Toronto Airways at CYKZ. After my PPL of course, I've landed in much stronger crosswinds than that.

My friend got some photos of the aircraft after it was towed to the hangar, and I got a few at the crash scene too. The tail was completely snapped off and BOTH wings were drooping. Front engine cowling was completely torn off... Big hole at Hangar 14 at CYKZ now boarded up.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Primacy primacy primacy!

When teaching your students, it has to be taught right the first time. Any bad habits that pop up must be crushed. You are teaching your student how to disarm a bomb!

It’s fortunate that only aircraft, hangar, and pride were damaged.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”