Qantas Flight to No Where Sells Out in 10 Minutes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Qantas Flight to No Where Sells Out in 10 Minutes

Post by gustind »

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/flight ... -1.5109187
Pre-pandemic, many of us viewed flying simply as a method of getting from one destination to another as quickly as possible.

But as travel bans, closed borders and shelter-in-place orders confined many to our homes, some travellers have been daydreaming not only about the far-flung destinations currently off limits, but the flying experience itself -- from the thrill of the take-off to the unmatched views of the earth from above from the cabin window.

That's where "flights to nowhere" come in -- air travel that takes place purely for the purpose of the journey, not the destination.

Australian airline Qantas recently announced plans for a seven-hour scenic flight that will perform a giant loop taking in Queensland and the Gold Coast, New South Wales and the country's remote outback heartlands.

From above, keen fliers should be able to spot famous Aussie attractions including Sydney Harbour and the Great Barrier Reef. The jet will do a low flyover over certain landmarks, including Uluru and Bondi Beach.

Special onboard entertainment is promised too, including a surprise celebrity host.

The journey will take place on a Qantas Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, usually reserved for intercontinental journeys across continents. Right now, there are very few flights operating to and from Australia due to travel restrictions and Qantas international fleet has been grounded.

The Dreamliner is renowned for its big windows, making it ideal for sightseeing from 30,000 feet.

Flight QF787, due to depart Sydney Domestic Airport on Oct. 10 and return to the Australian metropolis seven hours later, has proven popular. The 134 tickets, spanning business class, premium economy and economy and costing from AUD$787 to $3,787 (US$566 to $2,734) were reportedly snapped up in just 10 minutes.

Qantas' flight follows on the heels of EVA Air's Taiwan-based flight to nowhere, which offered a one-off journey on August 8, on board its Hello Kitty-themed A330 Dream jet.

Meanwhile All Nipon Airways (ANA) also operated a short scenic flight in Japan in August, which the airline said sought to replicate "the Hawaiian resort experience," with 300 travellers boarding the 1.5 hour flight.

And on Sept. 19, a scenic flight is due to depart Taipei Airport, offering 120 Taiwanese tourists the opportunity to view South Korea's Jeju island from the sky.

The journey is due to be an experience in itself, according to the Korea Tourism Organization's press release, offering an in-flight quiz show and local cuisine.
That said, all the airlines are operating their scenic flights with COVID-19 regulations in place.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/promotions ... -land.html

Round trip flights departing and landing at the same airport just so people can get out of the house. Making me cautiously optimistic.
---------- ADS -----------

Daniel Gustin
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Qantas Flight to No Where Sells Out in 10 Minutes

Post by valleyboy »

as long as it's not to Antarctica

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

That was Air New Zealand.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

That sounds pretty neat to me!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

That was Air New Zealand.
yes it was - duh :rolleyes:

They did the same thing in the Concord and filled the seats as well.

Still given the times that is far too many people in one place for me.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Sounds like a great time. Paying to get sardine'd into economy seating to look out the window.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Please won’t someone think of the environment! :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Personally I think it would be more fun just to burn bank notes in the backyard.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 am Personally I think it would be more fun just to burn bank notes in the backyard.
You're on a roll today. Endorse. That's like paying a thousand bucks to ride the TTC end to end all day.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Man, people are weirdos. Whatever though, good for Qantas.

They could up the excitement by using the max too!

I only fly commercial to get places and don't overly enjoy doing it, even in first class. However, there has been other attempts at "sightseeing" flights that are much more interesting. The hard deck is 5280ft for those.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:23 am https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... iss-flying

Can’t say I blame them.
One of the reasons the recent fires in Australia were so bad is these same Environmentalists did not allow controlled burns of the dead undergrowth. This is extremely beneficial as it allows new growth. These people appear to not know how Oxygen is produced..

In addition farmers were not allowed to create fire breaks on their own property.

Both of the above were factors in the severity of the fires.

We need to stop listening to these people imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m confident that we can permit controlled burns of dry forest, as is sensible, and still not make long flights to nowhere.

Which is to say, people can be wrong about one thing, and right about another, and it makes sense to listen to what is being said regardless of who says it, rather than to “stop listening to these people”.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

There’s better ways to take a trip without leaving the farm. :weedman:

But in all honesty I think I’d rather go to the dentist than spend 7 hours stuck on an airliner going nowhere.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PF and I recommend the TTC subway.

Ride Line 1 end to end and back, then switch to Line 2, end to end and back.

That would chew up a large chunk of 7 hours.

Similar enjoyment level.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Does the flight come with the usual airline bonuses, like the person who fills more than one seat being beside you, the flooded lavatory floor, and the wrong meal?

Or do you have to pay extra for these authentic joys?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm
photofly wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:23 am https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... iss-flying

Can’t say I blame them.
One of the reasons the recent fires in Australia were so bad is these same Environmentalists did not allow controlled burns of the dead undergrowth. This is extremely beneficial as it allows new growth. These people appear to not know how Oxygen is produced..

In addition farmers were not allowed to create fire breaks on their own property.

Both of the above were factors in the severity of the fires.

Maybe they should get out there and rake the undergrowth. :roll:

Have you ever even been to Australia?

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Ummmmmm........no, that's not correct.

It took a 30 second Google search to fact-check, and debunk, your completely unfounded assertion: check out https://greens.org.au/bushfires. Australia's Green party in fact supports controlled burns "... when guided by the best scientific, ecological and emergency service expertise." That doesn't seem unreasonable on the face of it, and I'm not sure why anybody would disagree with that approach.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

..Green party...

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Heliian wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:42 am
Maybe they should get out there and rake the undergrowth. :roll:

Have you ever even been to Australia?
I'm posting this from Australia. I've been here since June 10th.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”