VIDEO: CRASH of Cessna 210 In the Mountains of Utah

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

VIDEO: CRASH of Cessna 210 In the Mountains of Utah

Post by challenger_nami »

This video is a well documented small Plane crash of an Instagramer Family... luckily every one survived.
CRASH VIDEO: https://youtu.be/kMzjf6K0ll0

First I thought it was a fake, scripted and staged video. But it seems legit.
News Media Coverage: https://youtu.be/VaRxHbohpCA

Looks like Engine Failure, and then stall and possibly spin close to the ground. Everyone onboard survived the crash.

Here is the NTSB File:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... m&IType=LA
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
381FBFE9-AE86-4635-B874-98DCD4D61CC1.jpeg
381FBFE9-AE86-4635-B874-98DCD4D61CC1.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
73AABEB8-265E-4175-8E68-C69BA58611A5.jpeg
73AABEB8-265E-4175-8E68-C69BA58611A5.jpeg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
Last edited by challenger_nami on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: VIDEO: CRASH of Cessna 210 N761RG In the Mountains of Utah

Post by PilotDAR »

Hearing the stall warning while they are still a few hundred feet up on a gliding final approach means that when they arrive to the ground, they likely will have no reserve of speed with which to flare.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Yes. They had already made the field. But seems like the pilot panicked, and instead of gliding the airplane and landing it on the field, stalled it.

From the video, I think at the last second the left wing dropped and nosed over. The wreckage seems to support that,

Could have been better ... and could be worse. Glad they mostly walked away from it.

Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

That clip show was terrible, it looks like they restaged the accident scene at one point.

12000 ft and 6 adults doesn't give you much time, a few seconds earlier and they would have been in the drink.

Also, gauges show 30 gals total at 4:35ish and fuel selected left tank, showing 20 gals.
Fuel starvation?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 pm Hearing the stall warning while they are still a few hundred feet up on a gliding final approach means that when they arrive to the ground, they likely will have no reserve of speed with which to flare.
Just a question...is that stall warning, or the gear warning?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

cncpc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:26 pm
PilotDAR wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 pm Hearing the stall warning while they are still a few hundred feet up on a gliding final approach means that when they arrive to the ground, they likely will have no reserve of speed with which to flare.
Just a question...is that stall warning, or the gear warning?
Gear warning first, then you hear the gear come down, then stall warning later.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

I couldn't help but notice her big soft .....eyes. :smt040

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

mijbil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 pm I couldn't help but notice her big soft .....eyes. :smt040
Haha... They were probably what the pilot noticed when he failed to notice the factor that caused the engine to act funny .... and again when he stalled the airplane at 25 ft in the air.

I am looking forward to NTSB’s full report on this one: # it was the passengers’ fault. :)

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: VIDEO: CRASH of Cessna 210 In the Mountains of Utah

Post by DH82EH »

I kinda thought that beach looked like a pretty good option.
Gear up or down.
I think the biggest take away from a video like this is to remember something Bob Hoover said.
You have to fly the airplane, as far in to the crash as you can.
Stalling and spinning, even at less than a hundred feet, is never a good choice,
They were extremely fortunate that they survived and that all that help was close at hand.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

MOUNTAIN HOME, Utah — A small plane carrying six people crashed near Moon Lake in Duchesne County, and miraculously, everyone survived. The plane’s pilot spoke to KSL from his hospital room about the crash and what happened for all six people to survive.

Shadrach Feild shared that he trained a lot for a worst case scenario, and while that training kicked in, he felt divine intervention’s hand.

“I absolutely know that God had his hand in this,” Shadrach Feild said. “It’s a miracle.”

When you see what’s left of the Cessna T210M Turbo Centurion, it’s hard to believe that everyone on board survived.

“For the terrain that we were in and how it all unfolded, it takes more than a good pilot to get through this,” he said.

Six people were onboard the plane including Feild, his wife Jazlyn, their family friends Betsey and Gentry Mikesell, and their 16-year-old teenage twin sons, Brock and Boston Mikesell.

The group said they were out flying near Moon Lake on Friday morning.

“When I came over the corner over the lake, there was a lot of wind coming at me, which isn’t normally a big deal,” Feild said. “My plane — a Turbo Charged 210 — has plenty of horsepower.

That’s when Feild said the engine gave out.

“I pushed the throttle in and there was no power,” he said. “It kept running, but there was just no power.”

“It took about 12 seconds from that point to the time we touched down,” said Betsey Mikesell, explaining that they only had moments to brace for impact.

Meanwhile, Shad prepared the plane and crew for an emergency landing.

“I remember telling them I would take care of them,” Feild said, holding back emotions. “We made it across the lake.”

“Because Shad was so calm, I just thought he was landing it. He never said, ‘we’re going to crash,’” Mikesell said.

As Shad looked for a landing spot, he spotted two possible locations. The first, he said, was a beach, but there were people on it and he feared his tires wouldn’t handle the sand well. The second option was an open field.

“I thought it would be better to try and land in the sagebrush flat,” Feild said. “I didn’t want to flip over and hurt the people in the back.”

“For some reason in my mind, I was just so calm,” Mikesell said. “I just remember bracing and holding onto the seat in front of me.”

Mikesell said she was the first one out of the plane as nearby campers ran to their rescue.

“Someone said that you could feel angels everywhere, and I feel like that is what we experienced, “ Mikesell said. “Someone else said that it looked like we were just being carried down to the ground, and I swear that is literally what happened.”

“I lost my dad about four years ago, and I know that he helped,” Feild said. “I could feel him the whole time.”

Brock managed to walk away from the crash.

Gentry and Shad, who were at the front of the plane, suffered back and spinal injuries and remain hospitalized. Gentry also has a broken femur, tibia, and shattered ankle. Betsey said he broke his nose and face in 3 places.

Shad’s wife Jazyln broke her arm and wrist.

Boston, the other twin, fractured a hip.

And Betsey said she has four broken ribs on each side, a neck injury and bruised lungs.

Despite their injuries, they said they’re grateful to be alive and for the help of first responders and the campers who ran to their aid.

“Not only where we landed but that the plane died where it did — had it have been 45 seconds earlier, we all would’ve died,” Feild said. “There was nowhere to land 45 seconds earlier. It was God’s hand.”

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the crash.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/08/c ... 761rg.html

Have Pratts - Will Travel
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Oh god -pun intended-.

"thank god"

"angels"

"miracle"

"God had his hands in this"
Who says he didn't make the engine fail and tried to kill you?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

As Shad looked for a landing spot, he spotted two possible locations. The first, he said, was a beach, but there were people on it and he feared his tires wouldn’t handle the sand well. The second option was an open field.

“I thought it would be better to try and land in the sagebrush flat,” Feild said. “I didn’t want to flip over and hurt the people in the back.”
Everything i've read about off-airport landings in retractable gear aircraft suggests that unless you're putting it on a runway-smooth and runway-long field, you leave the gear up. A sagebrush flat that is going to grab your gear left right and center isn't really an "open field".

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

digits_ wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:54 pm Oh god -pun intended-.

"thank god"

"angels"

"miracle"

"God had his hands in this"
Who says he didn't make the engine fail and tried to kill you?
No, Dude! God does good things; its Satan, demons, and Democrats that make bad things happen!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”