Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

gurvin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advanced Ultralight to Amateur Built

Post by gurvin »

Hi Everyone

Is it possible for a homebuilt aircraft (has the homebuilt/Experimental plate on the airframe) but was registered as Advanced Ultralight to be registered as an Amateur Built Aircraft (CAR Standard 549)?

If so, what are the steps or process to do it?

Home built plate Image:
homebuilt plate_LI.jpg
homebuilt plate_LI.jpg (216.56 KiB) Viewed 8652 times

Car Standard 549:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (38.07 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Advanced Ultralight to Amateur Built

Post by ahramin »

Not really. The steps to build an Amateur Built aircraft are:
549.01 A person who intends to construct an aircraft and obtain, under paragraph 507.03(b), a special certificate of airworthiness in the amateur-built category in respect of the aircraft must

(a) before starting construction,

(i) inform the Minister of the intention to construct the aircraft,

(ii) show that the aircraft design meets the standards specified in Chapter 549 of the Airworthiness Manual, and

(iii) show that the major portion of the aircraft will be constructed from raw material and assembled on a non-commercial, non-production basis for educational or recreational purposes; and

(b) during construction and again before the first flight, make the aircraft available to the Minister for inspection.
If those steps were all followed and then at the last minute the builder decided to get an Advanced Ultralight registration, maybe contact MD-RA and see if they will do a final inspection on it. If it was never intended to be an amateur built aircraft and never had a pre-close inspection then I don't see a way through.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

This is a long shot, but... If it's got 100 hours on it, you *may* be able to have it reclassified on the basis of the exemption to Chapter 549 that people use to import Amateur-Built aircraft from the US. This would only be possible if you could show that the plane was built to Amateur-Built standard, not Advanced Ultralight standard.

What kind of airplane are we talking about here, and why do you want to move it into the Amateur-Built category? That might help with the answers.

gurvin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gurvin »

I'm planning to buy an amateur built plane which also meets the requirement of advanced ultralight(MTOW not more 1232lb & stall speed not more than 45mph). Because I have CPL but my other partner only has Ultralight permit. I want to build hours but its not possible on Ultralight as only 50 hrs are counted towards atpl. But at the same time I want my partner to fly as well.

So the only way possible is to re-register an advanced ultralight(which was homebuilt) to amateur built.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Editing your quote to clarify:
gurvin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm I'm planning to buy an amateur-built advanced ultralight plane which could have been built as amateur-built but wasn't. Because I have CPL but my other partner only has Ultralight permit. I want to build hours but its not possible on Ultralight as only 50 hrs are counted towards atpl. But at the same time I want my partner to fly as well.
What *type* is the aircraft? Is this an RV-12?

I suspect this will be a very difficult thing to do, as you'll be changing the basis of registration of the aircraft... It would be like moving from certified to Amateur-built, or vice-versa. I suggest contacting the MD-RA, who is responsible for inspection of new Amateur-built aircraft, and seeing if they have any guidance. I don't know if any MD-RA inspectors are active here on AvCanada and could weigh in.

https://www.md-ra.com/en/

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I think it would be much easier for your partner to just go and get a Rec permit.

Return to “Homebuilders”