AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by JoeyBarton »

FL320 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 am It would be great that AC confirm their intention once for all; so everyone could move on. Why wait if they don’t want it anymore?
So you are now convinced this deal will not go through and ready to move on yourself? Up until now it seems you were pretty certain it would happen. Worried about the stock being below 4$?
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

If the deal is still ‘live’, which I suspect it’s not, it won’t be for $18/share.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

JoeyBarton wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:39 pm
FL320 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:35 am It would be great that AC confirm their intention once for all; so everyone could move on. Why wait if they don’t want it anymore?
So you are now convinced this deal will not go through and ready to move on yourself? Up until now it seems you were pretty certain it would happen. Worried about the stock being below 4$?
I am convinced it will go through but at a renegotiated price. 4$ is a pretty good deal for any investor and AC won’t let it go into other hands for sure. I am not worried by the stock at all; it won’t change my lifestyle :wink:

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

The Raven wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:52 pm If the deal is still ‘live’, which I suspect it’s not, it won’t be for $18/share.
Can you point to what article in the arrangement agreement that would allow a reduction in the share price?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

I think he is inferring what I did further up the thread. Just because the current deal expires does not mean a new deal won’t be struck.

Short term I think the parties will say not now. Medium term, if it made sense before it probably will again.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Fanblade wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm I think he is inferring what I did further up the thread. Just because the current deal expires does not mean a new deal won’t be struck.

Short term I think the parties will say not now. Medium term, if it made sense before it probably will again.
If the deal expires we can expect a lower price should both parties decide to revisit it, that being said TS will entertain all buyers at that point. Now, from what I understand of the current agreement the price is set, a deal has been made with the shareholders for $18/share. TS has an obligation towards its shareholders, I don't see why they or how they can say "not now" as you put it.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Pretty anticlimactic.

Do they have to make an announcement today?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 am
Fanblade wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm I think he is inferring what I did further up the thread. Just because the current deal expires does not mean a new deal won’t be struck.

If the deal expires we can expect a lower price should both parties decide to revisit it......I don't see why they or how they can say "not now" as you put it.
If the deal expires, the parties may state they want to revisit the merger, at a later date. That is all I was stating.

Assuming the deal actually expired on the 27th, the silence so far is interesting. If the parties want to salvage, change or alter the deal without completely walking away, the first opportunity for that to happen is right now.

Im not calling the deal expired until the parties say so.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

The silence only tells me they are negotiating something.

Jean-Luc Monette
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jean-Luc Monette »

Transport Canada’s report is still on Minister Garneau’s desk, and the EU Competition Board (or whatever name...) are still evaluating the dossier.

How can the offer not be extended?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Jean-Luc Monette wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am Transport Canada’s report is still on Minister Garneau’s desk, and the EU Competition Board (or whatever name...) are still evaluating the dossier.

How can the offer not be extended?
Because someone may want to take the first legal opportunity, to leverage an adjustment, or walk away.

Both companies have a duty to their shareholders. They won’t and can’t just leave them hanging. Yet they are. The only reason for not publicly announcing an extension is that the extension is currently in limbo. That there is nothing to disclose either way. That ongoing discussions are taking place.

The reasons for that limbo status, or any possible alterations, must be kept behind closed doors for securities reasons. When a definitive outcome has been reached it has to announced to the public all at once.

It is possible that the definitive outcome will simply be an extension. It is also possible that the definitive outcome is something else.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Transat website now says Outside Date extended to October 27th.

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/corporate ... -investors

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rudder wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:43 pm Transat website now says Outside Date extended to October 27th.

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/corporate ... -investors
Interesting that it's one line of text on the website, not a press release for the announcement, and nothing from AC that I can see on the investor or media site.

I wonder if that was put up prematurely? I'm not sure of the OSC disclosure requirements on this, but given that it's a fundamental restriction on the deal I would imagine something more. Also previous extensions had press releases. Maybe we'll see something tomorrow?

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

AC just officially closed the deal. 5$/share. To be concluded soon. :smt040

drone_driver24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by drone_driver24 »

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

aerodude wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:21 am AC just officially closed the deal. 5$/share. To be concluded soon. :smt040
The deal is far from closed.
Still subject to regulatory approval and another shareholder vote at the new price.
Then the real fun begins, BOTL for the TRZ pilots seems really fair now.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

"We believe that revised terms will provide the parties with greater incentives to address the concerns raised by regulatory agencies in order to obtain the regulatory approvals, including with respect to the offer of remedies which should provide a greater chance of obtaining the required approvals from regulatory authorities prior to the newly extended date of February 15, 2021 ," said Mr. Leblanc

Basically now that it's 75% off Air Canada might actually try to satisfy the regulatory bodies that have to approve the deal.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

$5.

Transat shareholders are taking a haircut here... AC shareholders too if they fill the shares for the share swap options. The big AT shareholders like Letko didn't like $14 before and it will be interesting to see how they vote this... Letko has significant AC pairings too though and fear is clearly in the drivers seat, I'll be interested to hear what the Transat CEO recommendation states. Plenty of fear that AT is going to flop if the deal doesn't go ahead no doubt. he just wants to walk at this point. Probably will get an AC BOD appointment for himself out of it.

Rovinescu is a shark.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Letko is all but completely divested from TRZ and has been for months. Friday at the bell they owned 203000 shares of TRZ or about .54% of the total outstanding shares.
https://www.morningstar.ca/ca/report/st ... 0P00005TH4

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

altiplano wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:40 am $5.

Transat shareholders are taking a haircut here... AC shareholders too if they fill the shares for the share swap options. The big AT shareholders like Letko didn't like $14 before and it will be interesting to see how they vote this... Letko has significant AC pairings too though and fear is clearly in the drivers seat, I'll be interested to hear what the Transat CEO recommendation states. Plenty of fear that AT is going to flop if the deal doesn't go ahead no doubt. he just wants to walk at this point. Probably will get an AC BOD appointment for himself out of it.

Rovinescu is a shark.
JME is in favour, he told me himself in an email.

Return to “Air Transat”