Westjet slashes Service to Maritimes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Westjet slashes Service to Maritimes

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-cuts-1.5761526

No Swat teams were required for this announcement. Team Teal sure is thriving.

"The Calgary-based airline said Wednesday it is eliminating 100 flights, which represent about 80 per cent of the airline's service in and out of Atlantic Canada. The airline also says it is also suspending operations to Quebec City, by removing its flight between there and Toronto."
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet slashes Service to Maritimes

Post by dhc# »

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

dhc# wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:56 pm From BNN...very dire and interesting comments, bordering on panic.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/airli ... ee~2055191

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/pande ... nt~2055223
Gee, hysterical anyone? :roll:

Love the crying to the media. Isn't that uncool around here?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

WJ and AC should cut all their flights to the maritimes. If they want their “bubble” let them enjoy their bubble. They can drive or take a boat.....

Let’s Go Brandon
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's ok though. They give travel credits for cancelled tickets.... For point of departures they no longer serve. Classy!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Good news everyone.... Swoop will be flying all those routes in the very near future.

I really need a sarcasm font... except it's not really sarcasm. I think it will happen, but it will be more like cruel irony or... something along those lines.

Last edited by Mach1 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 pm Good news everyone.... Swoop will be flying all those routes in the very near future.
Perfect.....

"Do you accept WestJet dollars or credit?

Although we love our parent company WestJet, we do not accept WestJet dollars or credits.
We operate as separate companies with no crossover and like to march to the beat of our own drum!"

https://help.flyswoop.com/support/solut ... or-credit-

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm WJ and AC should cut all their flights to the maritimes. If they want their “bubble” let them enjoy their bubble. They can drive or take a boat.....
You should know 99% of the East Coaster’s I’ve talked to on layovers during this whole pandemic desperately want to keep their bubble. Other than the obvious aviation professionals out there, the rest of the population couldn’t care less WJ is pulling out. Westjet has unfortunately always been a last resort for East Coasters.
Their bubble isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Can you really blame them though, other regions have had more cases in an hour than certain provinces have had this entire pandemic. Almost every business affected has reopened, they really want to to jeopardize that.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm WJ and AC should cut all their flights to the maritimes. If they want their “bubble” let them enjoy their bubble. They can drive or take a boat.....
You should know 99% of the East Coaster’s I’ve talked to on layovers during this whole pandemic desperately want to keep their bubble. Other than the obvious aviation professionals out there, the rest of the population couldn’t care less WJ is pulling out. Westjet has unfortunately always been a last resort for East Coasters.
Their bubble isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Can you really blame them though, other regions have had more cases in an hour than certain provinces have had this entire pandemic. Almost every business affected has reopened, they really want to to jeopardize that.
I see your point. But, why doesn't every jurisdiction live in a bubble then? Let's all live in a bubble until there is a cure or the virus 'just disappears'. Cure is under rapid development, yes, but it doesn't mean it will be ready in months regardless of what the media tells us. If it is, how effective will it be? What will be the long term effects if any? The cure could potentially cause more harm by way of side effects in the future than the actual virus if you contract it.

We can't just shut everything down and live in socially distant bubbles for the rest of time over a respiratory bug. Herd immunity is the best way of fighting the bug in my opinion. It's biologically natural and is less likely to create side effects that could alter genes, cause chronic or acute symptoms, or worse, death.

As for the governments lack of assistance even though aid was promised? Well I think ALL air carriers should suspend service to Ottawa from every city it flies from. That'll wake them up. Oh, and everyone should completely pull out of Atlantic Canada too.

Last edited by rooster on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

rooster wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:50 pm
I see you poin. But, why doesn't every jurisdiction live in a bubble then? Let's all live in a bubble until there is a cure or the virus 'just disappears'. Cure is under rapid development, yes, but it doesn't mean it will be ready in months regardless of what the media tells us. If it is, how effective will it be? What will be the long term effects if any? The cure could potentially cause more harm by way of side effects in the future than the actual virus if you contract it.

We can't just shut everything down and live in socially distant bubbles for the rest of time over a respiratory bug. Herd immunity is the best way of fighting the bug in my opinion. It's biologically natural and is less likely to create side effects that could alter genes, cause chronic or acute symptoms, or worse, death.

As for the governments lack of assistance even though aid was promised? Well I think ALL air carriers should suspend service to Ottawa from every city it flies from. That'll wake them up. Oh, and everyone should completely pull out of Atlantic Canada too.
https://www.amazon.ca/Greenhouse-Inflat ... 601&sr=8-6

Next thing you know, our houses will be covered in bubbles...

This is bad news for us Canadian aviators and workers in the aviation sector once again. The east coast can keep their bubble for all I care, they'll be the ones losing out more in the end...

People need to get on with their lives and stop being freaked out by this damn virus... otherwise, you're going to have more mentally ill people at the end of all this then you will have covid infections... think about that for second, how much damage will have been done once this is all over, that wasn't related to becoming sick from covid. I know enough people who's lives have been made miserable from everything that is going on, because of loss of job, loss of freedom, loss of social interaction, etc.

The scariest thing about all of this is, loss of humanity... it's already happening.

The world needs to wake up, otherwise we will literally lose our humanity and live in a bubble. I won't be one of those people, I will continue to do my job, protect myself as best as I can, and what's out of my control I will try to not lament over. I will try to continue living my life as "normally" as possible, whatever that even means these days.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

twa22 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 pm
rooster wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:50 pm

I see you poin. But, why doesn't every jurisdiction live in a bubble then? Let's all live in a bubble until there is a cure or the virus 'just disappears'. Cure is under rapid development, yes, but it doesn't mean it will be ready in months regardless of what the media tells us. If it is, how effective will it be? What will be the long term effects if any? The cure could potentially cause more harm by way of side effects in the future than the actual virus if you contract it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Greenhouse-Inflat ... 601&sr=8-6

Next thing you know, our houses will be covered in bubbles...

This is bad news for us Canadian aviators and workers in the aviation sector once again. The east coast can keep their bubble for all I care, they'll be the ones losing out more in the end...

People need to get on with their lives and stop being freaked out by this damn virus... otherwise, you're going to have more mentally ill people at the end of all this then you will have covid infections... think about that for second, how much damage will have been done once this is all over, that wasn't related to becoming sick from covid. I know enough people who's lives have been made miserable from everything that is going on, because of loss of job, loss of freedom, loss of social interaction, etc.

The scariest thing about all of this is, loss of humanity... it's already happening.

The world needs to wake up, otherwise we will literally lose our humanity and live in a bubble. I won't be one of those people, I will continue to do my job, protect myself as best as I can, and what's out of my control I will try to not lament over. I will try to continue living my life as "normally" as possible, whatever that even means these days.
To both responses to my post, I was saying what I’ve heard/observed while on layovers in the “bubble”. I don’t really care what you think everyone or the government needs to do and I’m certainly not going to get into an argument about it.
Their bubble isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, that’s a fact and the airlines can deal with that however they feel. All airlines could pull out like you said, but at the end of the day when this pandemic is over, the airlines will be fighting for every passenger they can.

Side note, this could be the companies retaliation for mainline ALPA filling grievances for Swoop flying Mainline routes out of Toronto. Pull out of routes completely that are low demand right now and then return with Swoop once the pandemic is over. The plans were already to have Swoop flying from YHM to many of the locations anyways, now they can just do it from YYZ. They’ve certainly proven their not letting a crisis go to waste.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Industry embargo of all flights in and out and within the bubble... and to Ottawa.

More pressure is needed until they get their heads straight.

F- us? No F- you.

Let them lay in their bed and stay where they are.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

altiplano wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 am Industry embargo of all flights in and out and within the bubble... and to Ottawa.

F- us? No F- you.

Yep. I agree. I just read a company memo that our crews are not even allowed to leave their rooms on a layover in Newfoundland....... or is it Naziland these days. :x

Let’s Go Brandon
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

altiplano wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 am Industry embargo of all flights in and out and within the bubble... and to Ottawa.

F- us? No F- you.

You think MP’s will care? It will just provide an excuse for them to use the government fleet of challengers and king airs.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Last edited by twa22 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Without a vaccine the Atlantic has no exit plan from the bubble. As soon as the west is on the decline with cases and starts to head back to normalcy it will be the exact opposite for the Atlantic. If they open up cases will climb and people will die. It won't be easy for them to keep the elderly safe. But maybe their plans are to wait for vaccination. Kind of a crazy plan because realistically a vaccine won't be wide spread until at least a year.

If the vaccine is anything like the flu vaccine, which I don't consider an actual vaccine, it will be a shit show trying to open. The flu vaccine is more of just an immune booster, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, and the vaccine always has to change and evolve with the predicted mutations of the virus. If covid keeps mutating I think it will be challenging to nail it down with a vaccine.

East is least West is best... The West will have an easier time getting through covid than the Atlantic bubble in my opinion.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

The Atlantic bubble is going to kill off a significant portion of their tourism business. There are Canadians in other parts of the country that are offended that they can't travel there - especially since there aren't the same restrictions in other provinces.

The sentiment is if they don't want our money now, then why would I go there later. Lots of other beautiful places to see in this country and elsewhere.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2020/exec/1014n07/

So I ask. How stupid or incompetent are these people running the provinces? They are upset a private company is reducing services in which they themselves have cut off the demand.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I will be surprised if the airports in the “bubble” will have any money to keep the lights on and the runways clear this winter. Landing fees and AIF income are down to almost nothing while the cost to maintain basic services has not.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”