Save Canadian Aviation March in Ottawa Oct 20th

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Save Canadian Aviation March in Ottawa Oct 20th

Post by porcsord »

So,

How was the walk?
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Cappo1 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm The person who started this whole protest only became concerned when it became doubtful that the deal between AC and his airline would potentially not materialize. Prior to that, he was the first one to hail DOH in a seniority merge, and since then his attitude has changed to the extent he wants all airlines to shut down. So now with the protest he wants borders lifted and fill flights with ghost customers ? Which one is it ?
Good to see others have figured this out as well.

Wheels within wheels when you deal with Gilles.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

How about as Canadians we stick up for each other as a whole and drop the special treatment business. A lotta folks are hurting out there and need help...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:26 pm How about as Canadians we stick up for each other as a whole and drop the special treatment business. A lotta folks are hurting out there and need help...
Couldn’t agree more. Yes, aviation is hurting badly but will survive in some shape or form, rest assured. Many small business owners that I know personally and helped out are on the brink of losing everything they worked for. That’s disastrous to say the least.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

The world is a cruel place and it isn't fair. Everybody in almost every industry is affected badly by this. Aviation was good for many for a little while, and now it isn't. It is just reality.

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/aviato ... -1.5770398

Well done Gilles!
What you did today was great. Airline employees all over the country are struggling. The elected members can now see who these people are. Thank you for doing that.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Ypilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/aviato ... -1.5770398

Well done Gilles!
What you did today was great. Airline employees all over the country are struggling. The elected members can now see who these people are. Thank you for doing that.
Sadly, Trudeau’s acknowledgment referred to the $1B CEWS already spend on this matter. The rally or whatever that was only got a few minutes of airtime and is already forgotten. Remember this come election time, this government sees united delta and AA flight availability at all major airports.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Ypilot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/aviato ... -1.5770398

Well done Gilles!
The comment section on the cbc article is an interesting/difficult read.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 am

Well done Gilles!
I don’t think it’s that difficult a read myself. It gives a pretty good indication how the general public and likely people in politics really feel about the airlines. It’s coming from the prospective of ones not bias on the inside and have no stake in what happens. As I said in my first post, the general public has no sympathy for the airlines.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

172_Captain wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:18 am

Well done Gilles!
I don’t think it’s that difficult a read myself. It gives a pretty good indication how the general public and likely people in politics really feel about the airlines. It’s coming from the prospective of ones not bias on the inside and have no stake in what happens. As I said in my first post, the general public has no sympathy for the airlines.
Agreed, people don't like large billion dollar corporations that are notorious for jerking them around. However, people should like other human beings, especially ones who work hard, pay their taxes and are just trying to get by as best they can. The key is separating the big scary company that lost your bag and delayed your connection to Salt Lake city from human beings. I think from your posts you have the capacity to do that; the comment section on CBC, not so much. That was where the difficulty came in having to read that.

I'm not an airline guy, my sector took no hit from COVID, but I must stand beside our colleagues that slug it out in the terminals and jetways.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Well done Gilles!
If the current government provides direct assistance to various airlines in whatever form that is, and at same time airlines are not refunding same taxpayers monies on cancelled trips that will add fuel to the non- sympathetic fire. There can be no doubt about that.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Absolutely None.

C-suite --= work for free for 2 years. How many millions do you need?

Mid six figure AC Asia route 777 captains, how about coming to the table to help those starting out?

That's bluntly my perspective.

If the attitude is, it's competition for government dollars to go to who is the loudest vs the most needy in our society, I am vocally not on your side.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

A total collapse of the Canadian airline industry IS NOT AN OPTION.

Airline managers are paid the big bucks to figure out how to survive ‘n thrive. Not their employees. Government assistance should be given to those redundant or laid off airline employees (as well as those similarly affected in other industries) in the form of EI or CEWS.
This pandemic is more than a Black Swan event. With the worldwide airline industry losing $300,000 USD a minute (yes, that’s per minute) imagine what that looming collapse would mean?
Forking out $20 or $25 billion for our airlines survival will only prolong the funeral if we don’t get a vaccine or people don’t (or can’t) start to travel at a much greater rate than at present.
I doubt government assistance will have a dramatic effect many seem to be hoping for but something is sometimes better than nothing.

Gino

Last edited by Gino Under on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:48 pm

Well done Gilles!
Sadly, Trudeau’s acknowledgment referred to the $1B CEWS already spend on this matter. The rally or whatever that was only got a few minutes of airtime and is already forgotten. Remember this come election time, this government sees united delta and AA flight availability at all major airports.
What is not mentioned, CEWS is just fancy employment insurance, slightly more but EI just the same, so let’s take 2/3rds off that billion because those employees would’ve been drawing from the EI account otherwise.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

I really think some of you really don't understand what's at stake here...

Let the airlines burn you say? Ok sure, they have screwed over pax for a long time, because well, that's what big greedy corporations do, just like how they screw their employees too. This applies EVERYWHERE, not just airlines.

What do you think will happen when airlines start to go under, or barely skimming above the surface? You think customers will get treated better, or employees? Nope, it'll be quite the opposite. That sentiment you have now that let them burn, they deserve it... Guess what, it'll only be worse later on... But hey what do I know, I'm clearly not as smart as some of you here

Also, why the hell should the 777 captain sacrific his salary for the betterment of others? I am a type of person who is willing to do whatever I can for someone to help them out, but to give up my own salary, which I have rightfully earned, is not something that is feasible. It will save what? Maybe 1 pilot? 2 at most? You can argue that if all the top dogs sacrificed their salary, they could save a lot more junior guys... Yea ok, but for how long? And then if they got saved, what would they be doing? Getting paid to sit at home because there's no flying anyways? Come on guys, be realistic about this... Besides, majority have already taken a pay cut at the majors, to the tune of 40%, so what more do you want?

Also, the march wasn't just about bailouts... To a smaller degree it was about relaxing quarantine measures, so people can start traveling more which will in turn create more cash flow...

People, be reasonable here... If aviation goes under, the repercussions will be dire. Don't believe me? Ok fine, let's talk when shit hits the fan really hard

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I think it’s presumptuous to suggest Covid screening will have a dramatic effect on improving passenger loads and airline’s return to profitability. The country’s economic reality, if our airlines start to fail - will be devastating and long term. To say the least.

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... al-update/

There's a catch though. Better write nice things about your benefactor!!

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Gino Under wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm I think it’s presumptuous to suggest Covid screening will have a dramatic effect on improving passenger loads and airline’s return to profitability. The country’s economic reality, if our airlines start to fail - will be devastating and long term. To say the least.
I don't know if you're referring to my comment, but if you are, I was not suggesting that covid screening will have a dramatic effect, all i'm saying is easing restrictions and putting measures in place will help things pick up slowly and begin heading in the right direction again...

I will say it again, this pandemic is a test of our humanity, and these measures and lockdowns will push us to the brink if things don't change things in the near future

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

If you're under 40, go back to school and retool for a different career...just in case.

If you're over 40, get a truck driving license, and pay your bills.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

twa22 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:54 pm I really think some of you really don't understand what's at stake here...

Also, why the hell should the 777 captain sacrific his salary for the betterment of others? I am a type of person who is willing to do whatever I can for someone to help them out, but to give up my own salary, which I have rightfully earned, is not something that is feasible. It will save what? Maybe 1 pilot? 2 at most? You can argue that if all the top dogs sacrificed their salary, they could save a lot more junior guys... Yea ok, but for how long? And then if they got saved, what would they be doing? Getting paid to sit at home because there's no flying anyways? Come on guys, be realistic about this... Besides, majority have already taken a pay cut at the majors, to the tune of 40%, so what more do you want?
I think most understand whats at stake; non-essential leisure travel. Is it nice to be able to fly to Mexico for $500? Sure. Essential, absolutely not and not worth wasting further billions on. If the current airlines go bust viable sectors will be picked up by new entrants. Will it suck for the current ownership/shareholders? Yep, but its not the governments job to look after shareholders. Critical services, cargo, and corporate/charter are all trucking right along and stand to gain. A solid portion of business travel, what's left of it, will be done by corporate/charter anyways now that many companies are actively doing the cost-benefit comparisons and have experienced the benefits of non-airline travel. Some of us see immense opportunity right now. Flamesuit on, hate away.

Do you not see the irony in saying the 777 Captain shouldn't sacrifice his pay for the betterment of his co-workers, then demanding taxpayers sacrifice even more to maintain the lifestyle of a person who works less than twelve days a month and makes 6-7 times what the average Canadian does? Taxpayer better let that four-bar buy a better boat next year! Yes, they have rightfully earned that pay when the going was good, but now it's not (no surprise, cyclical industry) and they need to come to terms with that.

Do I think the airline industry has been dealt a crappy hand? Yes. Do I think rapid testing in place of 14-day quarantine should be given a solid look? Absolutely. Do I feel bad for colleagues who chose to keep flying and went to an airline? Of course. Do I think the government should turn good money into bad by throwing it at the airlines when every other G7 nation has shown it to be ineffective? No.

Return to “General Comments”