work permit to work in USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcan123
Rank 0
Rank 0

work permit to work in USA

Post by avcan123 »

HI,

which type of visa/work permit do you need if you need to fly in US during few weeks with a company based in canada ? ( for a non citizen )
I saw somewhere that the crew visa is only for airline not for domestic flights .
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: work permit to work in USA

Post by Cessna 180 »

Airwork conducted under a Part 91 LOA (702 in Canada)? Most guys go in under a B1 status or visa. The key is to tell the border officer you're going for business, not to work, which is correct.

Edit: I saw your post in the french forum. Not sure what country you're a citizen of, but you're going to need a B1 possibly a D1 visa if you're doing charters if you're any citizen except Canada. Some border officers when landing in the US want you on D1, some B1. ESTA if you're eligible is not applicable for most private operators. The nice thing is, you can get a combination B1/B2/D1/D2/C visa which covers you for most non-immigrant travel to the US. You also won't need to reapply for ESTA in the future since you'll have a B1/B2 visa (even for personal travel).

You'll need a letter from your company highlighting the need for the visa. If you call the Montreal Consulate, they should push you to the top of the list to get a visa. At a previous operation I worked at, the non-Canadian guys were able to go to the Toronto Consulate the next day when they explained their situation.

avcan123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: work permit to work in USA

Post by avcan123 »

yes, it's for airwork , not doing charters.
But with only a B1 visa, is it correct to tell the border officer that you're going to business even if not ? are there any proof required ?

Return to “General Comments”