Pfizer Covid Vaccine shows 90% effectiveness.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

discountpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pfizer Covid Vaccine shows 90% effectiveness.

Post by discountpilot »

montado wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:35 pm CDC is now saying cloth masks protect the wearer. Every week a new announcement lol. So does this mean now everyone can take personal responsibility and wear the PPE they choose... Like you cant blame me for killing grandma anymore... since masks protect the wearer, if grandma wears a mask...
This thread is hilarious.

Where did you get your epidemiology masters? Facebook University?
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

2 years for TSB to properly analyze an accident. Totally accepted.

6 months though is obviously far too long for experts to analyze a brand new virus, infinately more complex.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It's pretty simple really. Cloth masks give you some random amount of protection depending on how many layers they have and how they're made. Medical masks give the best protection. That's what the research shows, and it's also common sense.

The main problem right now is people deciding they just HAVE TO have a massive party, and then they end up infecting 50 people. This seems to be the main driver for the new infections. My wife's workplace had an all-hands meeting for their 16 employees outside with social distancing, but for some unknown reason they're having an xmas party with 30 people in a tiny restaurant. We predict that by the time xmas rolls around BC will have banned gatherings like that, but either way we won't be there.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

discountpilot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:17 pm
montado wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:35 pm CDC is now saying cloth masks protect the wearer. Every week a new announcement lol. So does this mean now everyone can take personal responsibility and wear the PPE they choose... Like you cant blame me for killing grandma anymore... since masks protect the wearer, if grandma wears a mask...
This thread is hilarious.

Where did you get your epidemiology masters? Facebook University?
Ah, good old credentialism.

Did Bill Gates study epidemiology? Why is he a leading authority on vaccines? Why is he in direct consultation Drs. Fauci, Birx, the CDC, and the WHO, not to mention several countries' health authorities?

Remember the financial crisis of 2007-8? Any of those guys study economics?
The world got absolutely burned by a bunch of M.B.A.s and PhDs.

Agricultural scientists get hired to make your frankenfood out of chemicals.

A diploma only means qualification to enter a position. It is NOT a certification of morals.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It’s amazing the amount of fear many here swallowed hook line and sinker. If you want to stay home and cower in fear, feel free. Let the others live their lives. People have totally lost all sense of reality that cold/flu/pneumonia have killed thousands every year and we somehow went about our lives in years past.

Let’s Go Brandon
Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Ah, good old credentialism.
Yes. The horror of wanting people to actually know what they're talking about. Just awful.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Did Bill Gates study epidemiology?
It's my understanding that he didn't, but I stand to be corrected on that.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Why is he a leading authority on vaccines?
He isn't as far a I know. But he's smart enough to listen to people who are and to understand the points they're making.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Why is he in direct consultation Drs. Fauci, Birx, the CDC, and the WHO, not to mention several countries' health authorities?
As far as I know, it's because he's at the head of a large philanthropic organization which, among other things, provides and distributes large quantities of vaccines. Working in consultation with other organizations working toward the same goal seems pretty reasonable to me.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Remember the financial crisis of 2007-8? Any of those guys study economics?
The world got absolutely burned by a bunch of M.B.A.s and PhDs.
What guys? You'll need to be more specific.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm Agricultural scientists get hired to make your frankenfood out of chemicals.
If you know of any foods that are not made of chemicals, let us know.
ReserveTank wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm A diploma only means qualification to enter a position. It is NOT a certification of morals.
But the lack of a diploma somehow make one morally superior? One's desire to do right is irrelevant if they are too ignorant to know the difference between helping and hindering. And to be clear, there are several professional areas where your moral behaviour in a professional context does in fact impact your ability to maintain your qualifications. Several (all?) health care practicices would fit this description.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm It’s amazing the amount of fear many here swallowed hook line and sinker. If you want to stay home and cower in fear, feel free. Let the others live their lives. People have totally lost all sense of reality that cold/flu/pneumonia have killed thousands every year and we somehow went about our lives in years past.
I know, right!?!? Can you imagine being afraid of masks? Or being afraid of basic health measures that protect society. The mind boggles.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:59 pm It’s amazing the amount of fear many here swallowed hook line and sinker. If you want to stay home and cower in fear, feel free. Let the others live their lives. People have totally lost all sense of reality that cold/flu/pneumonia have killed thousands every year and we somehow went about our lives in years past.
This fear you allude to, is it the fear of no ICU beds available for the inevitable cases that will show up without the measures?
The REALITY IS, hospitals are reaching their max capacity, not just beds but health care workers to attend to them, this is WITH measures of some sort in effect.
The problem with letting people live their lives, people make SELFISH choices with no regard for their fellow humans, so health officials have to intervene and provide restrictions, yet some assholes will still violate them.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

No need to cower in fear, just wear a mask and/or keep your distance, and don't throw massive parties.
People have totally lost all sense of reality that cold/flu/pneumonia have killed thousands every year and we somehow went about our lives in years past.
My immunosuppressed relative couldn't get her regular blood test recently, as hospitals are overloaded with COVID cases. Maybe you should tell her that she's lost her sense of reality, and I'm sure she'll happily rip you a new one.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 am Yeah, tell that to the people that have died, or are in the vulnerable group. You might change your tune once your own relative dies from it.
What about the line " it's people like you that are causing the virus and lockdowns ". You forgot to add that to your statement above.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Well said. I absolutely agree with you my friend. The world is becoming a sad place.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:55 pm
No need to cower in fear, just wear a mask and/or keep your distance, and don't throw massive parties.
People have totally lost all sense of reality that cold/flu/pneumonia have killed thousands every year and we somehow went about our lives in years past.
My immunosuppressed relative couldn't get her regular blood test recently, as hospitals are overloaded with COVID cases. Maybe you should tell her that she's lost her sense of reality, and I'm sure she'll happily rip you a new one.

No, the reason your relative couldn’t get her blood test was because your government for nearly a year has refused to prepare hospitals to meet the demands of a pandemic. Not only were they not prepared at the start, they continue to this day to do @#$! all to improve the healthcare system.

Your government has chosen to spend billions on emergency response benefits, covid testing, a failed lockdown. They costed people their jobs and livelihoods. Obviously a lockdown without a plan afterwards just puts us back in the same situation afterwards when you open up.

Sure hindsight is 20/20. If we could do it all again, instead of diddling our thumbs all summer after the initial lockdown waiting for things to go away, they would have invested in preparing hospitals to deal with covid. Remember all summer nurses and doctors were bored waiting for a wave of people while turning away everyone who didn’t have covid. China built a hospital in 6 days... what have we been doing? Oh that’s right.... we keep telling people to wear masks... we keep blaming people, we say they are killing grandma, all sorts of whacky shit we do... when really we could have built healthcare ready to treat people, while keeping the economy going, no reason the young and healthy can’t keep working.

So what’s coming now? The feds say we are out of money to give... we are about to lockdown in Ontario... we are about to harm more lives and jobs to stop the spread. Will you accept this is reasonable? Then what, after the lockdown without a vaccine we are back at square one with the same shitty hospitals turning away everyone without covid. It’s the perpetual cycle of stupidity going on. Masks have nothing to do with it. Whether masks are effective at this point is irrelevant, mask policy has not been effective, whether it’s that masks don’t work, compliance is low, or we are wearing them wrong, who gives a shit... the policy has failed..l we have had a year to figure it out and we are still on the path to failure and that’s all that’s important. The only thing Canada has going right now is a maybe vaccine... it’s like we are holding out for lottery ticket win rather than investing. Wear your stupid masks everyone, it can hide the sad look on your face that knows the ship is sinking,

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... es/canada/

“The great advantage of being able to read is you can educate yourself . You do not need to remain ignorant all your life “ Sean Connery

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm

No, the reason your relative couldn’t get her blood test was because your government for nearly a year has refused to prepare hospitals to meet the demands of a pandemic. Not only were they not prepared at the start, they continue to this day to do @#$! all to improve the healthcare system.

So, I guess you've done the calculations and determined the cost of building all these hospitals is less than CERB, and you've also modelled the spread of the virus and determined how many hospitals will need to be built to care for all the patients. Right?

From where I'm sitting, things have gone mostly pretty well until now. No lockdowns, life pretty much normal (at least here in BC). Most people still working. It's only now that things are starting to go tits up, and it seems to be because people are just starting to do the exact wrong things right now, after 8 months of doing things right. We're seeing news stories every day of massive parties causing outbreaks. It's really very simple. This stuff isn't rocket science. We've known for a long time how viruses like this spread, and this one isn't particularly different in that respect, and it's pretty easy to avoid catching it with a little bit of effort.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

montado wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm Wear your stupid masks everyone, it can hide the sad look on your face that knows the ship is sinking,
Wow man you sound like a real, proud, respectful, cooperative member of society.

I still don’t understand...why are you being such an a-hole about something that might help reduce the spread, even if it’s marginal? And your mocking people for wearing masks now? What’s wrong with you? Like, where are your morals at?

We don’t make the bloody policies anyways. We just follow them, and have very little say. Nobody here is claiming that masks are the silver bullet to solve this pandemic. But they certainly help, if only a bit. So we might as well, right? RIGHT?

What am I missing here

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

I have snow tires with studs and more often than not, will have all-wheel drive on, still, I skidded off the beaten track and ended up in this thread.

Like a moth to a flame...

I try not to engage in these types of conversations with friends or neighbors because it just proves the fact that we all have an opinion and some will defend it to the death, right or wrong.

I have a neighbor whose brother will tell you that the earth is flat and believes it with every fiber of his being. Those people will often benefit from some low dose medication, but it is near impossible to persuade them to take it.

When mental illness is not an obstacle, deferring to experts in their field is often the chosen path of most reasonable people.
There is just not enough time for all of us to become experts in every field. Those days are long behind us.
Even Da Vinci and Newton would have a hard time mastering the overwhelming minutiae of our age.

We are happy to sit back and watch a movie on an overseas flight, confident that the crew upfront will deliver us safe and sound to destination.
The environment onboard is little different than the outside. We follow the directions of the FA just as we obey a stop sign at an intersection, or wear a seat belt or not drink and drive, etc.

The environment in this pandemic is the same.

Health experts advice the government on how best to deal with the pandemic and in a sane world that advice is weighed and implemented to varying degrees.
The numbers will tell whether they are on the right track or not.

Canada has done a pretty good job at walking this fine line, with BC at the head of the pack, behind Nunavut.

I dont have time to pursue a PhD in Epidemiology or any other discipline at my advanced stage of decay, so am happy to read some, follow the advice of the experts and stay away from Fox News.

Much less stressful in the long run.

This Pandemic will yield to Science in time.

Let us all do our little part, and hopefully we will all survive it to fly another day.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm Yes. The horror of wanting people to actually know what they're talking about. Just awful.
A diploma means that you know what you're talking about? This makes me laugh. Sarah Palin had a diploma in journalism.
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm philanthropic organization
...makes tons of money... FIFY. He invests in vaccine R and D. Just because certain citizens receive vaccines "for free," this does not make it philanthropy. State funds, NGOs, etc.
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm What guys? You'll need to be more specific.
Were you in a coma during the crisis?
Conflicting Traffic wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm But the lack of a diploma somehow make one morally superior? One's desire to do right is irrelevant if they are too ignorant to know the difference between helping and hindering. And to be clear, there are several professional areas where your moral behaviour in a professional context does in fact impact your ability to maintain your qualifications. Several (all?) health care practicices would fit this description.
You were the one making the point about an epidemiology diploma...and your context was that it is superior. Having one or not makes no difference if you are working against the benefit of humanity. Worse yet, it's easy to fool people into thinking that a diploma gives you authority of decisions of our everyday life. People trust authority, especially if they've been easily scared. If one is corrupted and of bad character, if one means malice for profit--what then does a diploma mean?

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:55 pm
hospitals are overloaded with COVID cases.
At least that's what you're being told, and that was the answer that you accepted without doubt.
People went out in the spring to film hospitals only to find them empty during the "COVID hospital bed shortage." Of course, MSM doesn't report that--It's a conspiracy theory. But it is on video. It's out there if you want to know.
Remember all of the bored nurses at hundreds of hospitals doing their Tik Tok dance routines?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 pm
montado wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm Wear your stupid masks everyone, it can hide the sad look on your face that knows the ship is sinking,
Wow man you sound like a real, proud, respectful, cooperative member of society.

I still don’t understand...why are you being such an a-hole about something that might help reduce the spread, even if it’s marginal? And your mocking people for wearing masks now? What’s wrong with you? Like, where are your morals at?

We don’t make the bloody policies anyways. We just follow them, and have very little say. Nobody here is claiming that masks are the silver bullet to solve this pandemic. But they certainly help, if only a bit. So we might as well, right? RIGHT?

What am I missing here
I think what you are missing is that it is my personal belief that masks are not very effective, but that I also 100 percent comply with mask policy... I don’t even play the “health issue” card to make it seem like I’m exempt. So my opinion has had zero bearing on anyone’s health due to covid as I have been complying with the guidelines since day one.

So what makes me an asshole? That I don’t share the same beliefs as you and I feel that mask policy has been ineffective? Why does this offend everyone so much? All I’m saying is I don’t think the masks work so I am going to live my life like it doesn’t work.

I know people don’t truly believe in the efficacy of masks because if I ask if they would board a bus with a known covid case, but everyone has a mask on... everyone says no way! Ah well sorry for the input, sorry you are so offended that I don’t think masks are working. I’ll keep wearing my mask for you, and you keep calling me the asshole because I don’t think it works.

We have entered that new normal of it being acceptable to hold people accountable for their dangerous actions! Did you see that woman try to board a SWA flight who had to much cleavage? Denied! Gate agent knows it’s her job to enforce what is acceptable. See your neighbours with a friend over? Call the police! This is the right thing to do. We need more citizen justice warriors... see someone with their mask on wrong... find the nearest bylaw officer to hand them a fine. Mixturerich makes a great new normal citizen justice warrior. Go pull that tshirt out of your overnight bag so you can mitigate the risks of that passengers tits hanging out. We need to stop all these crazy things going on in this world! We have a cloth solution for everything!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:33 am

At least that's what you're being told, and that was the answer that you accepted without doubt.
People went out in the spring to film hospitals only to find them empty during the "COVID hospital bed shortage." Of course, MSM doesn't report that--It's a conspiracy theory. But it is on video. It's out there if you want to know.
Remember all of the bored nurses at hundreds of hospitals doing their Tik Tok dance routines?
You might want to go out and educate yourself rather than believing the crap you read on Breitbart.

Return to “General Comments”