Dust devils don't just happen in hot weather

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Dust devils don't just happen in hot weather

Post by pelmet »

Sometimes I wonder if some of these groundloops we hear about in taildraggers happen due to invisible dust devils(or are they whirlwinds if invisible). I suspect even an ultralight could lose control in the flare as well.

In my mind, there is a tendency to associate these whirlwinds with hot weather but I doubt the weather was particularly hot on the day this video shown below was made.

I wouldn't expect one in below freezing temps but maybe anytime the temp is above freezing. Any opinion?

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/vi ... 9858580001
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Dust devils don't just happen in hot weather

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm Sometimes I wonder if some of these groundloops we hear about in taildraggers happen due to invisible dust devils
They are quite troublesome, especially when they get stuck under the rudder pedals.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:51 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm Sometimes I wonder if some of these groundloops we hear about in taildraggers happen due to invisible dust devils
They are quite troublesome, especially when they get stuck under the rudder pedals.
:smt023 Keep it straight, keep it straight, KEEP IT STRAIGHT.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I used to drive along and see skid marks on the road going nearly straight across it and wonder how on earth someone possibly made them. Now thanks to dash cam footage, I know.

I used to be quite afraid of flying tail draggers considering how many wind up severely damaged.

Now I know about that too.. and it’s the same type of people who will spin out their vehicles on a perfectly sunny afternoon that are flying them. Getting into a situation through inattentiveness and complacency, and making it worse through panic and overreaction.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Off topic, but I have always assumed those random skid marks were due to animals dashing out onto the road; the skid marks last a lot longer than the roadkill. But yes, likely a great number of those skid marks were made worse through panic and overreaction.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “Flight Training”