Fired?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Fired?

Post by ZBBYLW »

Rumour has it this meme is worth people getting fired over? I sure hope WestJet brothers and sisters stand up aggressively for these pilots. What a joke.
image_from_ios-19.jpg
image_from_ios-19.jpg (82.65 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
---------- ADS -----------

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Fired?

Post by skypirate88 »

Not a wheel should spin until they are back on property.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Canadian pilots have no idea what a parking brake is for. It's the lawyers who will get them back, not pilots.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

skypirate88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:50 pm Not a wheel should spin until they are back on property.
Under what legal principle/right would a unionized pilot have to deny the employer his/her services? You can’t just not show up for work because you’re upset.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm
skypirate88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:50 pm Not a wheel should spin until they are back on property.
Under what legal principle/right would a unionized pilot have to deny the employer his/her services? You can’t just not show up for work because you’re upset.
Sure you can. You can not come to work for any reason.

Your employer might not like it though.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

FishermanIvan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:37 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm
Sure you can. You can not come to work for any reason.

Your employer might not like it though.
That is true. There may be consequences, but yes, they can not show up.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's called solidarity.

Company breaks the faith with your brothers? Everyone downs tools until they get straightened out.

What are they going to do fire everyone? They write their own death certificate without pilots.

That said Canadians are mostly compliant and afraid. Maybe you could get some inspiration from your ALPA friends South of the border...

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

altiplano wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:16 pm
What are they going to do fire everyone?
Ronald Reagan answered this question by firing everyone.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Oh, is Ronnie running the show at WJ these days?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

It’s completely disgusting, that is all I got. Not even remotely fucking funny. I’m with the above opinion, park brake on until the morons behind this degrading advertising are fired, publicly!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Sorry, I'm kind of out of the loop. Is that a REAL sign? If so, that's the stupidest advertising I've ever seen. Who would pick a service based on its unwillingness or inability to attract top talent? I mean money talks and people are mostly assholes but I didn't think this would ever be used as a selling feature! I never thought the day would come when people would gladly get into a plane that says "discount pilots" on it. Except maybe in a Mike Judge movie.

It's like a used mattress store having "extra stinky" somewhere on their sign. I mean, sure everybody knows it, but you don't have to be proud of it!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

The sign isn’t real, it’s been photoshopped. I have no idea if the photoshopped sign is the reason behind the alleged terminations.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Meatservo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm Sorry, I'm kind of out of the loop. Is that a REAL sign? If so, that's the stupidest advertising I've ever seen. Who would pick a service based on its unwillingness or inability to attract top talent? I mean money talks and people are mostly assholes but I didn't think this would ever be used as a selling feature! I never thought the day would come when people would gladly get into a plane that says "discount pilots" on it. Except maybe in a Mike Judge movie.

It's like a used mattress store having "extra stinky" somewhere on their sign. I mean, sure everybody knows it, but you don't have to be proud of it!
Meatservo, you have been a member of this forum for 15 years and made almost 2500 posts. I’m going to hazard a guess that you are a pilot working in the industry (I may be wrong). If you were fooled by the photo, an uninformed member of the public might be too, which might indicate the effectiveness of the sign. Once again, I don’t know if this photoshopped version of the real sign was a factor in the alleged terminations, but I could see the company’s concern of the sign were shared on social media (without agreeing or disagreeing with the validity of any terminations).

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:14 pm
Meatservo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm Sorry, I'm kind of out of the loop. Is that a REAL sign? If so, that's the stupidest advertising I've ever seen. Who would pick a service based on its unwillingness or inability to attract top talent? I mean money talks and people are mostly assholes but I didn't think this would ever be used as a selling feature! I never thought the day would come when people would gladly get into a plane that says "discount pilots" on it. Except maybe in a Mike Judge movie.

Meatservo, you have been a member of this forum for 15 years and made almost 2500 posts. I’m going to hazard a guess that you are a pilot working in the industry (I may be wrong). If you were fooled by the photo, an uninformed member of the public might be too, which might indicate the effectiveness of the sign. Once again, I don’t know if this photoshopped version of the real sign was a factor in the alleged terminations, but I could see the company’s concern of the sign were shared on social media (without agreeing or disagreeing with the validity of any terminations).
Well, I DO work in the aviation industry, but never as member of a union or for a large scheduled carrier. I only know about the issues faced by those pilots from listening to colleagues who work there or working with others who have quit and moved over to the charter side of things. I am probably gullible, but it can't be all my fault that I found the photograph believable. One sees a lot of outrageous things these days.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I clearly thought it was real also and I’m in a union shop, I would not put it past bottom feeding companies from this type of ad. Ryanairish type of negative advertising!
So what is the real story, someone photoshopped it and passed it around on social media, then we’re fired?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

NO WJ fan, but it's risky to publically embarrass an employer........

Labour law is clear, too. Employees are culpable for social media posts..........

Last edited by rookiepilot on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I'd be rather choked if any of my employees did such a thing. As long as you're accepting a paycheque I think you owe your employer better behaviour than that. If you're that upset then maybe quit instead of posting that kind of trash.

FYI, here's the actual sign.

Attachments
swoop.jpg
swoop.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I wonder if ALPA didn't partially set the table for these guys (if indeed they were fired, and fired for anti-Swoop rhetoric). Here is a screenshot of an opening frame to an ALPA short film about information pickets a few weeks back. ALPA isn't bound by the Code of Business Conduct, but the employees are.
Screenshot_20201119-133007_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201119-133007_Gallery.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
I'm not on a crusade against ALPA anymore, and I agree the Swoop file did not turn out well for the pilots. I'm just not sure heating up emotions like the above screenshot did was helpful. There is a legal process now to addressing contract (scope) violations. Addressing the morality and ethics (they seem to be the same thing to me) of Swoop instead of the legality seems a strange path to take.

But I'm just a pilot...

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm NO WJ fan, but it's risky to publically embarrass an employer........

Labour law is clear, too. Employees are culpable for social media posts..........
True, but the employees didn't embarrass their employer (WJ). They embarrassed a subsidiary company (Swoop) that is a competitor to their employer. I'm curious if a case like that has ever been decided.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm NO WJ fan, but it's risky to publically embarrass an employer........

True, but the employees didn't embarrass their employer (WJ). They embarrassed a subsidiary company (Swoop) that is a competitor to their employer. I'm curious if a case like that has ever been decided.
Oh. I don't know the details, only have read courts have been unsympathetic to those posting denigrating comments on social media re their employers, regardless of how accurate they may be.

WJ is the parent anyway.....

Here's a link I found.

https://www.mondaq.com/canada/employee- ... ppropriate

Return to “General Comments”