Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Non Aviation Employers Don't Respect Pilot Experience

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Bede wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm I have been out of my previous field of work for 5 years and would love to jump back into it even if I was getting a new grad salary. Instead I am getting rejected from interviews because they think I am not current in my field. I am starting to think I have to lie or go back to school to land a half decent job.
Herein lies the problem with the argument that you should do some sort of post secondary as a "backup" career as is often argued on this forum. If you're not active in your field, any field, no one cares that you have an engineering degree, MBA, MD, etc from 20 years ago. If you want a backup income stream, learn to build pools, decks, basements, etc.
....if you can find lumber!
---------- ADS -----------

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:41 pm I have been out of my previous field of work for 5 years and would love to jump back into it even if I was getting a new grad salary. Instead I am getting rejected from interviews because they think I am not current in my field. I am starting to think I have to lie or go back to school to land a half decent job.
Herein lies the problem with the argument that you should do some sort of post secondary as a "backup" career as is often argued on this forum. If you're not active in your field, any field, no one cares that you have an engineering degree, MBA, MD, etc from 20 years ago. If you want a backup income stream, learn to build pools, decks, basements, etc.
Just like when a pilot leaves aviation then tries to get back in years later. Very few companies will take risk spending money to train you if you haven't flow in a few years.

I wonder what requalifing pilots is going to be like when we all return to work after this grounding.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

That's very true. When I got laid off I thought that employers would be fighting over me with my computer engineering degree and 2 years of software development work experience however 400 job applications and a few interviews later I realize that's not the case.

I have spent the summer renovating my house and learning all the trades I could and am now branching off to start a seasonal hone maintenance business.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Ive applied to around 100 jobs and not a single word back. The job market these days seems ridiculous, 3-5 yrs experience getting you 18$ an hour in YYZ. Ive tried regular technical positions, coordinator, dispatcher, driver etc. Nothing. Ive spoken to some fellow pilots and few have said they have no want to find a different job until ours come back. So I'm in agreement with OP its difficult out there. Just have to keep applying im sure something will come eventually.. :P

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

It's all in tweaking the CV for the potential employer AI to accept your resume and also a volume game. I've spent entire DAYS just firing as many applications as possible. I did about 3 rounds of heavy applications and got some come call backs and job offers. I am currently employed.

Nothing fancy at 14$ but enough to support my wife thru these hard times. In the same time I continue to apply everywhere in order to find something more lucrative.

FYI:

In the YUL greater area

I have a science college diploma from a cegep(in QC). Basically worth nothing..

Good luck fellow aviators. Don't quit and spam those fuckers inboxes!

Last edited by CPT.HarshColdReality on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

For the young bucks, piloting experience could be an advantageous discussion point for some possibilities. Being energetic and being a fit guy that loaded up the aircraft all day would be well looked upon.

https://sugardating.international/sm?ut ... aff_sub5=b

Sounds like good fun.

Feel free to give any details of your experience with this.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Reviving this thread to ask, who's gotten a non flying job, any leads or ideas? I don't know what it is, being furloughed or just being in a different industry. There has to be some jobs that look favourably on us?

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:01 am Reviving this thread to ask, who's gotten a non flying job, any leads or ideas? I don't know what it is, being furloughed or just being in a different industry. There has to be some jobs that look favourably on us?
I originally started the thread. I was a furloughed regional captain. I was able to find a job in my previous career in the technology industry as an engineer a few weeks ago. I had to remove any trace of aviation from my resume and never mentioned it during interviews. Instead I said that I spent the past 5 years working as an independent consultant (I did some part time consulting work while flying).

It took me months to figure that out. It seems employers either think that we are not qualified or over qualified for other jobs. I think HR doesn't realize that as pilots we have alot to offer other industries and alot of our skills can translate into non flying work.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I'm on CEWS from a 705 operator and I just did an interview today for a casual part-time position at a Sunglass Hut. I got offered the job at the end of the interview. Pay is minimum wage and it's the only interview I've had so far out of about 20-30 resumes sent out to non-aviation jobs.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

It took a few months and several resumes sent out before landing a job at FedEx as courier. It’s nothing fancy but fits my situation well. $19 an hr, part time permanent with full health benefits after three months I believe as well as flight benefits (interline at 6 months) which is great. Driving around by your own delivering and picking up packages kills the day and gets some money into my account. $2500 every year for schooling paid for by them so planning to get my class 3/1 drivers license instead of paying $1800 out of my own pocket.

They have hired a bunch of other 705 pilots over the last little while-the e commerce boom combined with covid and Christmas is making FedEx scramble for drivers before amazon or ups swoops them up.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Don't quit and spam those fuckers inboxes!
Hahaha best advice ever.

It's funny you start off like a sniper firing off your resume carefully, then just end up like some kind of artillery.

fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

Who ever in here that may be interested in giving Customer Service a try for a WFH setup send me a PM....

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am
flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:01 am Reviving this thread to ask, who's gotten a non flying job, any leads or ideas? I don't know what it is, being furloughed or just being in a different industry. There has to be some jobs that look favourably on us?
It took me months to figure that out. It seems employers either think that we are not qualified or over qualified for other jobs. I think HR doesn't realize that as pilots we have alot to offer other industries and alot of our skills can translate into non flying work.

Not referring to you, but I think HR must see this website and all the conspiracy theorist whack job pilots in the coronavirus threads and do 180 real quick lol

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I’ve applied to about 100 jobs and haven’t been able to get an interview for anything. I am currently working at my second temporary gig I’ve gotten through friends. Didn’t apply for either.

duro195
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by duro195 »

Hey guys,
I don' know what the situation is outside Quebec in this field, but if you're bilingual, you could look into the insurance business. A laid off 705 buddy of mine and myself (same) have found a job in two different companies. Full benefits, 25ish an hour, 35hr work week WFH gig. They pay for the training but they do have a (small, one year) training bond. Look into it! Industrielle Alliance, Intact, La Capitale, SSQ, Desjardins. There's a bunch!

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 pm

Not referring to you, but I think HR must see this website and all the conspiracy theorist whack job pilots in the coronavirus threads and do 180 real quick lol

I highly doubt they would do that. Unfortunately they mainly look at similarity of past job titles to the current job title and for keywords that match the job description/requirements. When they get 200+ resumes for a single role they will spend maybe 10 seconds looking at each one. From my experience they don't tend to connect the dots and see how relevant skills and experience can translate from one field into another.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 pm

The markets disagree with you. The money must know something about covid that you don’t understand. Keep sitting on the sidelines shouting “whack job”.

The only one about to do a quick 180 is you when one day you will go from shouting grandma killer with your mask on, to the next day taking you mask off. :rolleyes:

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

We’re all on the sidelines, bud. Some of us just decided to follow the rules and to not be a douchebag calling it a “stupid mask”. Go fly a kite.

RedBaron10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RedBaron10 »

To those still looking for a job:

Consider landscaping during the summer and snow removal during the winter. I know people who have done landscaping during the summer and although hard work, it pays more than minimum wage and the hours are 8-10 hours of pay a day. Even better if you can find one that pays cash! Same with snow removal... hard work, but they seem to always be hiring.

I wish you all the very best during these times. I hope this can help some people :)

RB10

Last edited by RedBaron10 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

RedBaron10 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm To those still looking for a job:

Consider landscaping during the summer and snow removal during the winter. I did landscaping during the summer and although hard work, it pays more than minimum wage ($18.50 for me) and the hours are 8-10 hours of pay a day.
It’s just like being up north again! : :lol:
Except, you actually get paid minimum wage and aren’t forced to do 12-14 hour days

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”