Looking for a good quality, fast "homebuilt"...

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bimjim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a good quality, fast "homebuilt"...

Post by bimjim »

Sorry to bother you on your weekend!!

The son of a friend of mine here is a police officer in Barrie. He got his Private at Buttonville a decade ago and had to discontinue flying due to professional time demands, now he is actively looking for a "homebuilt" (as opposed to a Cessna or a Piper, he thinks lower maintenance costs), but I think if someone came along with a C172 or a C182 in really good condition he would consider it.

He likes the extra speed - up to 180 knots or more - and might want to take his family with him, so a 4 or 5 seater is preferable. He has learned about constant speed props, so that aspect is covered. Budget is up to $40K.

If you come across such a lovely beast, please connect with me with the contacts and I will pass them on.

Many thanks...

Jim Lynch
ATPL, Former BFC Member
Former ATC, TropicAir, Air BVI, Carib Aviation, LIAT
Now living in Barrie
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Looking for a good quality, fast "homebuilt"...

Post by digits_ »

If you double the budget and half the requests, you might get close.

For that speed, only the lancair comes to mind. 2 seaters sell for around 80k.

For 4 seaters, you have the RV series, which can be had again for 80k, but not the 180 kts variant.

Or you go for a 172, 90 kts, 4 seats and again roughly 80k for a proper one.

I think everyone in the world would consider a C180 in good condition for 40k.....

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Expectations, meet reality.

4 seats, 180kt cruise, $40K? Sorry, no. Add a 1 (at least) to the front, or a zero to the back, and you'll be in the right range.

The RV-10 will carry four and cruise in the 150-160kt range. Count on $150-200K for a finished and flying one.
The Lancair, as someone else mentioned, will cruise around there as well, but I think $80K is optimistic. Same ballpark as the RV-10.

I'll venture that you won't find an airplane that will do 180kt for $40K.

And finally, we have no homebuilt category in Canada. It's called Amateur-Built.

bimjim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bimjim »

Thanks for the reality check. I will pass it on.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Good , fast , cheap , takes a load .
Pick any two out of the four :)

bimjim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bimjim »

Thanks. I got the message.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

bimjim wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:46 am Sorry to bother you on your weekend!!

The son of a friend of mine here is a police officer in Barrie. He got his Private at Buttonville a decade ago and had to discontinue flying due to professional time demands, now he is actively looking for a "homebuilt" (as opposed to a Cessna or a Piper, he thinks lower maintenance costs), but I think if someone came along with a C172 or a C182 in really good condition he would consider it.

He likes the extra speed - up to 180 knots or more - and might want to take his family with him, so a 4 or 5 seater is preferable. He has learned about constant speed props, so that aspect is covered. Budget is up to $40K.

If you come across such a lovely beast, please connect with me with the contacts and I will pass them on.

Many thanks...

Jim Lynch
ATPL, Former BFC Member
Former ATC, TropicAir, Air BVI, Carib Aviation, LIAT
Now living in Barrie
You will have a task to tackle with this list of requirements. You mention both a 172 and 182 in your post but neither of those two will meet your speed expectations. You also indicate up to 5 seats and again neither of the two referenced airframes offer that feature either as a standard feature. I think your two biggest hurtle will be the 180 and the $40K price point, these are mutually incompatible. If you can given up one one of these "wants" I suspect your options will increase greatly for either C of A or one on a Amateur Built Flight Permit.

Good luck with your search, report back with pictures once your found the perfect one for the rest of us to salivate over please :wink:

bimjim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bimjim »

THIS IS NOT FOR ME,
-- as I stated clearly in my Post.

I am merely asking questions to get the guy some info.

Thank you for your input.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

If you’re willing to cut the pax requirements there are some fast Jodels and Tailwinds that can be had for cheap as far as airplanes go. If fabric and wood are a no-go then maybe look into a Thorp T-18 or a Midget Mustang II.

bimjim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bimjim »

More like it, thank you very much. He has done some research and has his Private, so not a total newbie.

I'm the opposite, 13,500+ hours, 24,000+ landings, charter and airline.

Best wishes.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

lownslow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm If you’re willing to cut the pax requirements there are some fast Jodels and Tailwinds that can be had for cheap as far as airplanes go. If fabric and wood are a no-go then maybe look into a Thorp T-18 or a Midget Mustang II.
No Jodel will do 180mph without diving.
Midget Mustang = single seat, Mustang II = two seats. There is no "Midget Mustang II."

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:34 am
lownslow wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm If you’re willing to cut the pax requirements there are some fast Jodels and Tailwinds that can be had for cheap as far as airplanes go. If fabric and wood are a no-go then maybe look into a Thorp T-18 or a Midget Mustang II.
No Jodel will do 180mph without diving.
Midget Mustang = single seat, Mustang II = two seats. There is no "Midget Mustang II."
I know folks who have built Falconar Jodels who claim 160 in cruise but haven’t experienced it myself. Point-to-point speed-wise the difference between 160 and 180 is negligible and on a typical leg length any time saved by going faster can easily be eaten up by flying a bigger pattern at the destination or something. Of course having a big number to brag about is another thing entirely. With the constraints given at the start of this thread I think most knew this was going to be a game of compromise anyways.

As for the Mustang bit, funny enough I actually knew that but I’ve found they’re often colloquially called a Midget Mustang II so I went with what I thought was the more recognizable (even if wrong) name. I didn’t think I’d get called out on it but it’s kinda funny I did.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

lownslow wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:48 amI know folks who have built Falconar Jodels who claim 160 in cruise...
As I said. Not 180.
...I’ve found they’re often colloquially called a Midget Mustang II...
I've found that too. Mostly by people who really haven't a clue what it is.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to “Homebuilders”