US Management?

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Flyngoose68
Rank 0
Rank 0

US Management?

Post by Flyngoose68 »

I have been asking around about the work culture at the various YYZ management companies.

A contact of mine just mentioned that SkyService is soon going to be under a new incoming American management team. I have no reason to doubt him but it does seem odd. From what I can tell the company has always been Canadian run. Bringing a team down from the US given the current climate here seems strangely timed so I am questioning it.

This is not going to effect my choice to try for positions there but it does make me pause as its an unknown. What do you guys think? Is this a sign of things to come for the Canadian business aviation space?
---------- ADS -----------

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: US Management?

Post by PitchLink »

Are they changing brands altogether or partnering up with another management company? Mergers and acquisitions are rare right now but not completely gone due to this never ending pandemic.

WCJetPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WCJetPilot »

I’ve also heard similar news regarding Skyservice.

With the recent addition of Ben Murray taking the reins of President/CEO, it now appears he’s recruiting some of his past colleagues from the US, including Bill Olsen and Jeff Reid. All three of these people seem to have impressive corporate aviation resumes from within the US market, but it’s unfortunate to see high level aviation jobs going to Americans – especially at a time like this, where so many individuals within the Canadian aviation sector are unfortunately out of work.

Curious to know if all of these individuals have or plan to relocate to Canada to undertake these new positions, or plan to remain in the US? With all the Covid-19 restrictions currently in place, I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy to make a full time relocation to Canada, or if the plan was to remain in the US and plan to manage the company from down there, I’m sure they’re also hindered by the current travel restrictions between Canada and the US to conduct business.

I haven’t heard of any rumors of future mergers, with new management stepping in, it seems like there’s definitely the potential for some sort of changes on the horizon… All of these new individuals have past histories and relationships with some of the largest corporate jet operators in the US, so I guess you can say “never say never” (Who knows? Only time will tell).

Since Skyservice’s founder Russ Payson stepped away from the company a number of years back, ownership in the company has changed hands a few times. It’s now primarily owned by InstarAGF, which is an asset management firm and based on this, I’d be led to believe that InstarAGF’s primary goal is a return on investments for its shareholders. Bringing in a “dream team” up from the US market may appear to be an opportunity to assist with this, but at the same time, it’s important to remember just how small the corporate aviation industry is in Canada, compared to the US counterpart. There’s almost more corporate jets based just at Teterboro Airport, than almost all of Canada's combined.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

WCJetPilot wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:14 am I’ve also heard similar news regarding Skyservice.

With the recent addition of Ben Murray taking the reins of President/CEO, it now appears he’s recruiting some of his past colleagues from the US, including Bill Olsen and Jeff Reid. All three of these people seem to have impressive corporate aviation resumes from within the US market, but it’s unfortunate to see high level aviation jobs going to Americans – especially at a time like this, where so many individuals within the Canadian aviation sector are unfortunately out of work.

Curious to know if all of these individuals have or plan to relocate to Canada to undertake these new positions, or plan to remain in the US? With all the Covid-19 restrictions currently in place, I’m sure it wouldn’t be easy to make a full time relocation to Canada, or if the plan was to remain in the US and plan to manage the company from down there, I’m sure they’re also hindered by the current travel restrictions between Canada and the US to conduct business.

I haven’t heard of any rumors of future mergers, with new management stepping in, it seems like there’s definitely the potential for some sort of changes on the horizon… All of these new individuals have past histories and relationships with some of the largest corporate jet operators in the US, so I guess you can say “never say never” (Who knows? Only time will tell).

Since Skyservice’s founder Russ Payson stepped away from the company a number of years back, ownership in the company has changed hands a few times. It’s now primarily owned by InstarAGF, which is an asset management firm and based on this, I’d be led to believe that InstarAGF’s primary goal is a return on investments for its shareholders. Bringing in a “dream team” up from the US market may appear to be an opportunity to assist with this, but at the same time, it’s important to remember just how small the corporate aviation industry is in Canada, compared to the US counterpart. There’s almost more corporate jets based just at Teterboro Airport, than almost all of Canada's combined.
That’s a pretty good comparison Canada vs US. I was under the impression that skyservice was a management company which is different from corporate?

WCJetPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WCJetPilot »

Aircraft management is most certainly an important and large part of their business model.
I was referent to “corporate” as in they are in corporate aviation.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

WCJetPilot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 am Aircraft management is most certainly an important and large part of their business model.
I was referent to “corporate” as in they are in corporate aviation.
Ok, I’m not up and up on it I’m clearly not in that racket 😆

Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Broker »

Skyservice has changed dramatically over the past decade and mostly for the worse. The emphasis was always "service" under Russ Payson and that has long given way to increased profits.

If you want competent management for an aircraft or a fun and professional place to work, try some of the smaller players.

Skyservice is definitely being positioned to sell, not to deliver service.

Turbolag
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Turbolag »

Broker wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 am Skyservice has changed dramatically over the past decade and mostly for the worse. The emphasis was always "service" under Russ Payson and that has long given way to increased profits.

If you want competent management for an aircraft or a fun and professional place to work, try some of the smaller players.

Ouch. That’s a bit harsh no? Any facts to back that up? Anything is possible I guess given the climate but you just hate to hear it happening.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Broker wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 am Skyservice has changed dramatically over the past decade and mostly for the worse. The emphasis was always "service" under Russ Payson and that has long given way to increased profits.

“ Skyservice is definitely being positioned to sell, not to deliver service.” Isn’t that any management company?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Turbolag wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Ouch. That’s a bit harsh no? Any facts to back that up? Anything is possible I guess given the climate but you just hate to hear it happening.
Management companies are all suffering this global rift in aviation. I think owners are going to see how wasteful the system is sooner than later

Return to “Corporate”