Overweight pilots

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Overweight pilots

Post by avcraig »

Question out of curiosity,

Blood Pressure is one of the most common (and even most dangerous) likely characteristics of someone who is Overweight or Obese. Now, throughout my years of travelling, I have seen MANY clearly overweight pilots at many Canadian Airlines. Hell, I've been on board and some of them even have some trouble getting through the flight deck door once they're back from the walkaround. Majority of which are the older guys near retirement on the widebody aircraft (no pun intended) but some are also the newer guys. Surely a great percentage of them have to have high blood pressure and other cardiovascular health issues. I've heard of some overweight people having normal blood pressure but I think the odds are like 1 in 10. For the rest, how do these guys hold a Cat 1 Medical with high blood pressure and high heart rate? It must come up in the yearly medicals and the occasional EKG.
---------- ADS -----------

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Overweight pilots

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Mind your own business, bean pole.

Unless you want to join the cool club. Then come on over. We have cookies. :D

Have Pratts - Will Travel
Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

avcraig wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 pm Question out of curiosity,

Blood Pressure is one of the most common (and even most dangerous) likely characteristics of someone who is Overweight or Obese. Now, throughout my years of travelling, I have seen MANY clearly overweight pilots at many Canadian Airlines. Hell, I've been on board and some of them even have some trouble getting through the flight deck door once they're back from the walkaround. Majority of which are the older guys near retirement on the widebody aircraft (no pun intended) but some are also the newer guys. Surely a great percentage of them have to have high blood pressure and other cardiovascular health issues. I've heard of some overweight people having normal blood pressure but I think the odds are like 1 in 10. For the rest, how do these guys hold a Cat 1 Medical with high blood pressure and high heart rate? It must come up in the yearly medicals and the occasional EKG.
Or, you could read the regs. Shocker, I know.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I shouldn't get myself worked up over this, I might have a heart attack

Last edited by CL-Skadoo! on Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

I was told I needed to lose a few lbs at my last AC medical. I'm 185 and 5'9", so yes, BMI is high.

But jesus, i've seen a couple biiiiiig boys. I wonder if they get read the riot act.

I got laid off, and no longer need a current medical. One less person to tell me to lay off the smarties 8)

Now if i could just do the same with the wife :D

Return to “Health & Fitness”