More WJ layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: More WJ layoffs

Post by goldeneagle »

Mach1 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:24 pm I don't have a problem with that. If we are allowed to compete head to head with foreign airlines (IE: they can fly in our country if we can fly in theirs) then bring it on. With the Canadian Pesos, we'll be a difficult force to compete with.
The US is the obvious market, right next door. If there was any appetite there for allowing cabotage, then you would see cruise ships lining up in Seattle this summer, headed on the Alaska cruise. It's not happening. Without the ability to make the stop in Canada, the Alaska bound cruise ships out of Seattle are not running this upcoming summer. Not leaving out of Vancouver, and not leaving out of Seattle. It's a significant hit to the economy in BC, and a much much larger hit to that in Alaska.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby- ... icas-fault

USA is quite prepared to let the economy of Alaska crumble to protect the cabotage laws. If they wont make the exception for Alaska bound cruise ships when Canadian ports are closed to those boats, they sure aren't going to make an exception for Air Canada flights going JFK->LAX.

If there was any appetite for airline cabotage, it would have been included in a revised nafta recently done.

You need to go back and re-read that conservative platform document. They want to buy votes by promising cheaper air fares with 'experiments' in cabotage within Canada, but there will be no reciprocity involved.
---------- ADS -----------

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm Honestly! It’s almost impossible to keep an AvCanada topic on course...
I don’t see it.
There are other threads to debate the effects of political platforms on Canadian aviation as well as geo-politics; and while these have macro effects on the industry...

Any news on "More WJ layoffs"??? The Globe and Mail posted some numbers that seem like if pilots bump into Encore there will be no Encore pilots left! Also a pretty big training "bill" to train folks who have never flown a Q. I expect ALPA continues to negotiate to mitigate...

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:34 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm Honestly! It’s almost impossible to keep an AvCanada topic on course...
I don’t see it.
There are other threads to debate the effects of political platforms on Canadian aviation as well as geo-politics; and while these have macro effects on the industry...

Any news on "More WJ layoffs"??? The Globe and Mail posted some numbers that seem like if pilots bump into Encore there will be no Encore pilots left! Also a pretty big training "bill" to train folks who have never flown a Q. I expect ALPA continues to negotiate to mitigate...
In the unlikely scenario that layoff mitigations aren't secured, the 224 pilots who bump down will be paid as Encore pilots but likely not get trained on the Q.

If there are layoffs at Encore (direct result of bumpdown), it will be minimal (10-15 at most).

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

Last edited by Maxpwr on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Cruiza wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:54 pm.
A decision has been reached. Plenty of information on it in the MEC’s email and the mainline alpa forums.

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

A decision has been reached, but a deadline has not. A lot can happen in three weeks.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

stabilizer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am A decision has been reached, but a deadline has not. A lot can happen in three weeks.
Yes, I was just keeping it vague in order to avoid the opinions and rants from people with no skin in the game.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

:rolleyes:
mbav8r wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:33 am.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

tsgas wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 am :rolleyes:
I was about to say something that would start an argument and changed my mind, this site definitely has gone downhill and I am going to try not to be part of the problem, try.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 pm
I am going to try not to be part of the problem, try.
I think you’re a little late for that.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm
I see you’ve chosen to continue to be part of the problem.
Exhibit A

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:10 am Good thing you guys didn’t sign a super long collect agreement with concessions in order to stay competitive against sky/Georgian .... oh wait :lol:

Good luck with your negotiations, I hope it turns out that you get what you deserve.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:32 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm
I see you’ve chosen to continue to be part of the problem.
Exhibit A

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:10 am Good thing you guys didn’t sign a super long collect agreement with concessions in order to stay competitive against sky/Georgian .... oh wait :lol:

Good luck with your negotiations, I hope it turns out that you get what you deserve.
Thanks, appreciate it!

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 pm You need to go back and re-read that conservative platform document.
No, I don't. I understand that without quid pro quo, this is not an actual issue. No government is going to go there. Okay, not true... the current Liberal government has done just this by telling Canadian airlines they can't fly to certain destinations but you can board any foreign carrier and go to those same locations if you like.... effectively handing all our business to foreign carriers and bypassing the cabotage discussion in a public policy debate.

Perhaps you need to stop living in fear of what might be and start looking objectively at the policies, the corruption and the incompetence of your guy and start wondering if there might be better out there. Pick a party, there's 3 alternatives for you to vote for plus independents. Or are you that indoctrinated by the WE youth core?

I hope it is going to be a short furlough and not just the start of another in a series of what might come as a result of government policy rather than bad business practices.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Alaska Senators Introduce New Legislation to Bypass Canada’s Cruise Ship Ban
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/tra ... d=msedgdhp

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Bit of a misleading title, it's more of a work-around (or fix) to outdated shipping laws. Like most people, I don't have a good grasp of maritime laws, but it seems like COVID boarder closures and restrictions are wrecking havoc on long established workarounds. Here's an interesting Nation Post commentary from last week which describes the issues.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby- ... icas-fault

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Cruise ship issues...what, if anything, does this have to do with the issues our brothers and sisters face at WS?

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

GRK2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 pm Cruise ship issues...what, if anything, does this have to do with the issues our brothers and sisters face at WS?
Clearly trolling to get a reaction. Hopefully there will be some news on mitigation efforts in the coming days / weeks. I think it'll be last minute for sure.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 am
GRK2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 pm Cruise ship issues...what, if anything, does this have to do with the issues our brothers and sisters face at WS?
Clearly trolling to get a reaction. Hopefully there will be some news on mitigation efforts in the coming days / weeks. I think it'll be last minute for sure.
Care to share the initial details of what you are trying to mitigate?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:52 am
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 am Clearly trolling to get a reaction. Hopefully there will be some news on mitigation efforts in the coming days / weeks. I think it'll be last minute for sure.
Care to share the initial details of what you are trying to mitigate?
From another public web board -

“ Letter to the pilots from WJ MEC and the Company to the pilot group on Friday March 8th have stated that the Company made its final offer on Wednesday, March 3rd and the MEC rejected it on Friday March 5th. DFO and Ed Sims sent out messages later in the day that the 415 layoff notices issued on March 1st, effective April 1st will not be retracted.”

Return to “WestJet”