Starting a new career

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Starting a new career

Post by Cat Driver »

First I am so pleased that so many of you actually took the time to wish me all the best on my turning 70.

I truly had programmed myself to retire at 70, however I still feel like I'm 17 so I have decided to start a new flying career.

It's a good thing that I made that decision last night because my f.ckin cell phone rang at 4:45 AM and it was Clive calling from San Juan P.R. to tell me he was on his way up to Seattle to go to Moses Lake to start on the Super Cat . He wanted to know if I had found the jack pads to jack the Cat up for the gear swing to get it airworthy.

So if I am still fixing the f.ckin things I may as well keep flying them.

I have decided to start a new training business with a Cub on Amphibs that I hope to finish building this winter. The industry needs someone who can offer a training program that is focused on teaching new commercial pilots the skills that are left out of todays flight training schools program. And it is my intention to use my contacts in the insurance industry to get a lower time requirement for new pilots to start their first sea plane flying job. As I have previously said, I have done this in Europe and see no reason why I can't do it here in Canada.

Not having to operate my training shackeled hand and foot by the dictates of operating under a TC operating certificate will allow me to teach these young people the finer points of advancing from pilot to aviator.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Good stuff Cat. You will definately offer lots to your students. Good luck. Maybe someday I'll end up in one of your courses. But for now I'm not headed the float direction even though it would be fantastic.

BTD

Springbok
Rank 5
Rank 5

CAT

Post by Springbok »

Now we are talking business. This is something I would be very keen on. I still have not decided what sector to approach when I get back but a lot will depend on my chats with you. I have no interest in the airline business but am dead keen on bushflying or getting into the Ag Spray sector.

The only float time I have is on Quicksilver ultralights (PIC and Instr) and that is frowned upon in GA in the US. I do not think it counts in Canada either. But then again, a Cub can be classified as an advanced ultralight as well so I should feel right at home.

TC told me that I need to do 65 hrs prep and night, flight test and the written for my Canadian CPL endorsement. I have more than enough GA PIC time, so I will spend the 65 on brushing up techniques and flying different aircraft.

Will definitely talk to you on this one. Howlong before you are up and running :?:

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Not to be confused with Springjob, Handjob, Blowjob or any other job......except a flyingjob!
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Congratulations! I knew you'd make the right decision. Owning and operating a flight training business has GOT to be the easiest way to fame, fortune and a super-relaxed lifestyle! :roll: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING!! :shock: Just kidding, I'm very happy for you, and excited that someone who actually talks about giving back to aviation is actually walking the walk. When will this operation be up? I'd like to be the first to sign up. As a couple-hundred-hour-float-pilot myself, I think it would be good to have you get me back into the swing of things before we get our own floater on-line this spring. Keep us in the loop.
Good luck. Anything we can do to help, let us know.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

Bonne chance !

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Go Cat, GO!!!

-istp :smt041

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

Ok this could be entertaining for all of us. But really I think you should get some kind of a certified aircraft and some kind of an operating certificate. Then get right back into the mix with TC.

Everyday you could write about what mishaps and mistakes they make while doing business with you. You’d probably skate right through all the hoops and aggravate them with your wit and cunning. You have the experience of dealing with them now, it would be hilarious. Why, ... you could end up at the tribunal 4 or 5 times appealing their decisions not to issue, before you even get the certificate.

It probably wouldn’t be as much fun for you, but sharing stories of your experiences with TC during the process would be a lot more interesting and informative to those of us on the forum, than hearing about some kid rolling your amphib on its back every year

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well Hornblower you have made some interesting suggestions, now allow me to explain what I am doing and why.

" Ok this could be entertaining for all of us. But really I think you should get some kind of a certified aircraft and some kind of an operating certificate. Then get right back into the mix with TC. "

Getting a certified aircraft would only increase my operating costs.

Getting an operating certificate would drive the operating costs right through the roof.

"Everyday you could write about what mishaps and mistakes they make while doing business with you. You’d probably skate right through all the hoops and aggravate them with your wit and cunning. You have the experience of dealing with them now, it would be hilarious. "

I have had two operating certificates here in the Pacific Region, one FTU both fixed and rotary wing. Then after I sold that I had a straight floatplane charter OC.

I have been dealing with them for decades, however in this region I find them anything but hilarious.

" you could end up at the tribunal 4 or 5 times appealing their decisions not to issue, before you even get the certificate. "

The Tribunal does not have the authority to interceed in an application for an OC.

" It probably wouldn’t be as much fun for you, but sharing stories of your experiences with TC during the process would be a lot more interesting and informative to those of us on the forum, than hearing about some kid rolling your amphib on its back every year "

It is very unlikely that anyone will roll my amphib. on its back as I will "always" be in it....no solo..

However I will probably have two of them eventually, the second one will be fractional ownership and they are free to roll it over on its back anytime they desire...as they own it.

By the way I received the wing kit today from Wag Aero and am very impressed with the parts.

The fuselage is almost ready now, this week we put the left side door framework in place.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Post by avcanada »

The industry needs someone who can offer a training program that is focused on teaching new commercial pilots the skills that are left out of todays flight training schools program.
Why not write a book as well?

If you write it I will read it.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Do you mean a book about how to fly?

There is a real need in aviation today for someone to offer flight training focused on the hands and feet skills of flying airplanes. These skills are needed regardless of what you fly from the J3 to the new generation jets.

I have no intention of spending any time going over all the rules and regulations or the physics of flight, if a pilot comes to me with a commercial license I will assume that that person has been taught those subjects.

The flying will be focused on flying the airplane to and at the limits of the airplane..safely.

One of the best examples of how to fly was taught to me when I was in the aerial application sector of flying, I took a course called " High Command Control " which made the move to learning to fly unlimited aerobatics a seamless transition as I already understood flying to the limits of an airplanes capability.

I will probably keep the Aerobat as it is an excellent tailwheel trainer, about half way between a Citabria and the Pitts as far as ground handling goes and of course it is legal for aerobatic flying.

The best thing about offering this kind of training is I will be teaching pilots who already have their licenses and technically I do not even need to hold a pilot license, I can be considered a consultant.

Cat

Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Good on ya Cat;

I know you've been flip-flopping about whether or not to pursue this kind of thing for a while, and I for one am glad that you're doing it.

If you can offer your graduates training and experience that goes beyond the "standard stuff", combined with a shot at employment through some of your contacts, jeez...you could be a very busy guy.

On a side note - if you're operating as a "consultant" (aka: on board on every flight) would the students then get to log PIC time to boot - and if not, would TC use that to say that you're providing "flight training" and try to demand an OC? Just a thought...

Giver Hell.

Peter (Pugster)

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Great idea ther Cat....you students will be a lucky bunch! Now, if you could just move the whole idea to the Carib.....aw, never mind, brain fart alert!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

"On a side note - if you're operating as a "consultant" (aka: on board on every flight) would the students then get to log PIC time to boot - and if not, would TC use that to say that you're providing "flight training" and try to demand an OC? Just a thought... "

I'm glad you asked that Pugster because I can give you a difinitive answer to your concerns.

Several years ago the Regional Director General Transport Canada came to my house in an attempt to cover for the actions of TC Civil Aviations breaking their own rules.

There were five people at the meeting which lasted eight hours, early into the discussions I informed the RDG that if TC figured that they can keep me from giving flight training by denying me an OC I would teach outside the oversite of the regulator. I told him that TC could have my license as I do not need it to fly with licensed pilots and with no license I would consider myself a consultant.

The discussion became quite tense and I finally turned to the so called independant investigator that he brought with him and asked him to enlighten the RDG regarding the legalities of what I was telling them I would do.

The bottom line is I can fly with any licensed pilot and be considered as a consultant and there is sweet f.ck all they can say about it.

As to this question:::

"and if not, would TC use that to say that you're providing "flight training" and try to demand an OC? Just a thought. "

They could try, but they would end up in court in their attempt to continue to deny me the right to work in my chosen profession. These c.c.s..kers may be morally corrupt but they have figured out by now that I would love the opportunity to get them in front of a judge in a court with the news media lapping up all the damming evidence I have of just how they really operate.

And I very much doubt the RDG's office would want to visit my home again because I told him that he is not welcome.

Hope that clears up that part, now all that remains is the simple question of who would like to fly with me to maybe learn something that you do not get taught in FTU's. Whether TC approves or not really does not change the simple fact that when you are finished you will be a better pilot.

Cat

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Amen Cat!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Pugster
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Pugster »

Love it Cat...

You won't have a problem finding clients, I'm sure of it. You would be providing much more than many "50 hour" programs do and the lack of "dual" in the logbook would be a bonus, not a hinderance.

On a side note, I think the clients that you'll draw will also be willing to pay a fair price for your services...my experience (as was yours I'm sure) is that people who seek out and expect superior instruction are usually willing to pay for it.

Best of luck, and let us know when the operation is up and running and we'll make sure that you're turning them away at the dock...

Cheers,

Peter

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Pugster and everyone else :

Money is not my motivator in my desision to give advanced flight training to pilots who want to be the best they can be.

If I want to make money all I need do is just keep doing what I am doing now, my hourly rate is 250.00 Euro per flight hour plus all expenses.

I have thought about this for a long time and decided that saving money is the key to giving flight instruction to young pilots trying to get started.

So when I get finished with building my Cub Amphib. it will be better than a factory produced airplane and with a 110 H.P. engine in it the direct operating cost will be around $75.00 per hour or less.

I plan on charging $175.00 per hour so that will give me $100.00 per hour for my flying time.

I feel that is fair both for my clients and for me.

My true reward is going back in time and doing what every young pilot wants to do...fly and be the best you can be.

If I were to operate a certified airplane under an OC everyone but me would make money.

Furhter more I do not need TC to micro manage my business nor tell me what I must do to ensure safety, actually they should hire me to improve their understanding of how to fly safe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have made my decision to quit the airshow flying business and stay home, it is not anything like everyone imagines it to be, I've had enough so I'm quitting and doing something that I will get pleasure from.

Cat

Last edited by Cat Driver on Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

Cat Driver wrote: [The Tribunal does not have the authority to interceed in an application for an OC.
Cat
Actually that’s strictly not quite right, you have a right to review of a decision by TC not to issue, so if you don’t have something quite the way they want it, and you feel that you are within the letter of the law, you can appeal to the tribunal for a review of their decision whenthey tell you you don't measure up.

You see this is what I am envisioning: you doing something that meets the requirements of the rules but does not fit with the narrow paradigms of your approving inspector. It would be great sport if your ticker could handle the blood pressure increase you would experience while talking to them, ... or about them.

You see, the type of knowledge that is really lacking in this industry is an understanding of the rules, how to apply them (just read any of CID’s posts), and how to deal with the regulator. No-one really needs to know how to fly a bush plane anymore, around here there is not going to be any bush left in a few years anyway. Forget trying to find a lake with fish in it, you won’t be able to find a hill with trees on it.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I still think you should sell the homebuilt and by a real aircraft.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

With all due respect Hornblower you are wrong regarding the Tribunal.

Twice I appealed my case to the Tribunal, twice I was informed that they could not intervene, and my MP can confirm that.

I have no idea what what in hell you are talking about with this one because it has nothing to do with my problem with M&M.

" You see this is what I am envisioning: you doing something that meets the requirements of the rules but does not fit with the narrow paradigms of your approving inspector. It would be great sport if your ticker could handle the blood pressure increase you would experience while talking to them, ... or about them. "

" You see, the type of knowledge that is really lacking in this industry is an understanding of the rules, how to apply them (just read any of CID’s posts), and how to deal with the regulator. "

Please don't be condesending about someone you know nothing about, I have as good an understanding of the rules as most in aviation, not only Canada but in the many other countries that I work in.

"Good luck with whatever you do, but I still think you should sell the homebuilt and by a real aircraft. "

"O.K. humor me, what do you think I should buy?

Springbok
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hornblower

Post by Springbok »

Hornblower said : Good luck with whatever you do, but I still think you should sell the homebuilt and by a real aircraft.[/quote]

Yes, please tell us what he should buy / fly. Also please tell us Oh SkyGod, why homebuilts are not considered as real aircraft in your Oh so humble opinion. Are all of us, as EAA members and homebuilders / kit builders not really flying real aircraft? Please clarify.

I eagerly await this response. SB standing by.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Not to be confused with Springjob, Handjob, Blowjob or any other job......except a flyingjob!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh Springbok that is a real weird suggestion, maybe someone should tell Ruttan to get a Cessna the next time he tries to set a world record. :mrgreen:

I have owned many certified aircraft during my aviation career both fixed and rotary wing, in fact I still own a Cessna Aerobat that I converted to a Texas Taildragger, and I can't get half the price for it that a homebuilt will bring.

The problem with posting on a internet chat site is there will always be someone who knows more about what you are and who you are than you know about yourself, but I must admit I find it frustrating answering some of these people and trying to maintain some sembalance of sanity.

Can someone explain what is wrong with a Piper Cub built with modern building materials and products?

By the way this year I got paid to fly the following certified aircraft.

DC3 , PBY , Pitts S2B , Super Decathalon and 12 hours in a B767ER as a crew member under training....in the airplane not the Sim.

...and I prefeer to build my own airplane and fly it.

Cat

Return to “General Comments”