JetBlue's coming North

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

JetBlue's coming North

Post by rookiepilot »

---------- ADS -----------

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: JetBlue's coming North

Post by palebird »

Some serious competition for our little bubble.

Co-Joe Exotic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Co-Joe Exotic »

Yikes. Gonna get interesting for sure.

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

I like JetBlue, I always had great experiences with them unlike Big Red and EastJet.
Welcome to Canada Jet Blue !

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

This is concerning, Canadian airlines can’t compete. We are to slow to react and if this starts the flood gates for southwest to come north we are in big trouble.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Southwest is nice too. Did the reciprocal JS on them and went to Florida out of Buffalo with the gf just before the Wuhan Flu hit and would definitely fly them again. The ticket wasn’t much more than using my passes.

Let’s Go Brandon
Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

It will be interesting to see how Air Canada/WestJet react to this. JetBlue has a fantastic premium-class product on their A321s in their Mint class, with lie-flat seats and pods - nothing that either AC or WS currently offer on their narrow-body fleets are comparable. I'm predicting a bloodbath in the Canadian market over the next 1-2 years, as our domestic airlines will be on their back foot and struggling to pay off debt and return to profitability. Meanwhile, the American carriers, which have received substantial financial assistance from the US gov't, will be able to dump capacity into the Canadian market at a loss in order to capture market share.

With that being said, I've had great experiences jumpseating with JetBlue in the past - they really go out of their way to take care of you as a flight crew member. I wish them the best of success, if they expand their routes eastward I'll look forward to travelling with them again once the COVID pandemic is behind us.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Maybe it's time to propose to the US that Canada would drop cabbotage laws in exchange for green cards or work permits for Canadian pilots. Win-win :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:10 pm Maybe it's time to propose to the US that Canada would drop cabbotage laws in exchange for green cards or work permits for Canadian pilots. Win-win :mrgreen:
Ha, Canadian airlines would go tits up in a heartbeat without their endless supply of cheap labor. Eliminating cabotage would just be comic overkill.

I like it.

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:10 pm Maybe it's time to propose to the US that Canada would drop cabbotage laws in exchange for green cards or work permits for Canadian pilots. Win-win :mrgreen:
Yes please. I think a lot of Canadians would be onboard with this.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Americans wouldn't want our raggedyass routes. Other than between YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL, it's all too thin and too far. Our cost of operations is too high between AIFs, taxes, taxes, taxes, and the rest of the fees... they would just syphon a few cash cows and leave everything else to die. Every international flight would be out of a US hub... so careful what you wish for.

And for what? So you can ride the coat tails of successful pilot groups? So ee can depress US wages? Why don't we fight for our industry here?

Besides, unlike in Canada the Association's there have an ear in government and pilots there value themselves and fight for their profession.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

They'll come north just as long as it takes them to realize the Government has its hand down the pocket of the industry so far you can see their Federal fingertips protruding from the bottom of the pant leg. Southwest has already done the math and passed. Good luck to them though.

Canadians have passed judgement on the Canadian industry. Their hate is strange, but soooo Canadian. Why be so distainful of an industry that connects most of us when we are so spread out from sea to sea? Most of the higher Canadian cost is tax or non airline related user fees, but instead of hating all the "fingers in the travellers pie", they just blame and hate the airline.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:56 am Southwest is nice too. Did the reciprocal JS on them and went to Florida out of Buffalo with the gf just before the Wuhan Flu hit and would definitely fly them again. The ticket wasn’t much more than using my passes.
+1

WN is always friendly about JS and passriding, and very often let offline crews board first. Good experiences with B6 as well. Hard to beat for a cheap ride down to the sunny places.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

JetBlue can leverage their codeshare agreement with American Airlines, as well as their new routes across the pond from JFK and BOS. Plus the sunny destinations that are well served by B6, but have been decimated by our federal government. JetBlue isn't really a low-cost carrier anymore in the same way that WestJet isn't. YVR to BOS and JFK are rather underserved. I'm sure they can make this profitable.

It will be interesting if they expand to Toronto or Montreal, or to west coast destinations from YVR. That could be challenging for Canadian carriers.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 pm Canadians have passed judgement on the Canadian industry. Their hate is strange, but soooo Canadian. Why be so distainful of an industry that connects most of us when we are so spread out from sea to sea? Most of the higher Canadian cost is tax or non airline related user fees, but instead of hating all the "fingers in the travellers pie", they just blame and hate the airline.
Because Canadians are a jealous jealous bunch. Look no farther than your own industry colleagues to see glee bubble up in their eyes at the thought of AC taking another hit.

God forbid there are good high paying Canadian jobs. If Joe Blow six pack can save $20 on his trip screw the Canadian pilots and industry.

Lobster pot mentality at its finest.

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 pm Americans wouldn't want our raggedyass routes. Other than between YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL, it's all too thin and too far. Our cost of operations is too high between AIFs, taxes, taxes, taxes, and the rest of the fees... they would just syphon a few cash cows and leave everything else to die. Every international flight would be out of a US hub... so careful what you wish for.

And for what? So you can ride the coat tails of successful pilot groups? So ee can depress US wages? Why don't we fight for our industry here?

Besides, unlike in Canada the Association's there have an ear in government and pilots there value themselves and fight for their profession.
As an occasionnal costumer who flies sometimes out of those places, I always pick an U.S. carrier if I can (Delta is my favorite so far). When I don't have passes, it costs me less and the service is far better than what I have witnessed with Canadian Airlines. So far except Porter Airlines, I have had poor experiences in Canada. Even if I have to drive from North Bay to YYZ just to fly with JetBlue, I would do it. I flew with them before and quality of service is very important to me.
As far as our industry goes... If we (Pilots) continue to accept this slavery mentality with our employers and our gouvernment, things will stay as they are or just get worse. We have made the choice to work in a cut throat industry, let's not be mad when in other countries they figured how to do better. In the meantime, the costumer should have the choice to fly with whoever they want to fly with.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FlyingLion wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:57 am
altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 pm Americans wouldn't want our raggedyass routes. Other than between YVR, YYZ, YYC, YUL, it's all too thin and too far. Our cost of operations is too high between AIFs, taxes, taxes, taxes, and the rest of the fees... they would just syphon a few cash cows and leave everything else to die. Every international flight would be out of a US hub... so careful what you wish for.

As an occasionnal costumer who flies sometimes out of those places, I always pick an U.S. carrier if I can (Delta is my favorite so far). When I don't have passes, it costs me less and the service is far better than what I have witnessed with Canadian Airlines. So far except Porter Airlines, I have had poor experiences in Canada. Even if I have to drive from North Bay to YYZ just to fly with JetBlue, I would do it. I flew with them before and quality of service is very important to me.
As far as our industry goes... If we (Pilots) continue to accept this slavery mentality with our employers and our gouvernment, things will stay as they are or just get worse. We have made the choice to work in a cut throat industry, let's not be mad when in other countries they figured how to do better. In the meantime, the costumer should have the choice to fly with whoever they want to fly with.
Are you replying to my comment? I'm not sure why are you quoting me? I was speaking in reference to the other comments about US cabotage in exchange for Canadian pilots working in the US (which is ridiculous for many reasons).

I'm glad you like Delta, you do you... enjoy your drive from North Bay.

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

altiplano wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am

Are you replying to my comment? I'm not sure why are you quoting me? I was speaking in reference to the other comments about US cabotage in exchange for Canadian pilots working in the US (which is ridiculous for many reasons).

I'm glad you like Delta, you do you... enjoy your drive from North Bay.
My bad pal, I quoted you by accident. I find the cabotage ridiculous too, we are our own ennemies.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

No problem! Just making sure I'm not misunderstanding.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Strange, but I have had the exact opposite experience. Service much better on AC, WS or Porter versus an American carrier and I would chose a CDN one anytime.

Return to “General Comments”