Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Post by McKinley »

Pretty deplorable if you ask me. Every one of these so called “ economic crisis” is the same employees take massive pay cuts or lose their jobs all together while CEO’s reap the rewards.. Cronie Capitalism at its finest.

The private sector is a race to turn bottom..
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Post by Old fella »

A major Corporation getting creative on rewarding its top guns while the underlings take the hits….. golly gee, imagine that.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Post by montado »

The company justified this move to shareholders by arguing that losing the payouts “could potentially create an important ‘retention’ issue thereby putting the organization at risk at a time when we most need our key talents to ensure our survival and future recovery for the benefits of our shareholders.

Most employees are dime a dozen. Not like pilot retention is an issue, so why pay more when you don’t have to! I mean the above statement has to have some truth to it though. Lots of places are booming and would be happy to snag some of the executives at AC. As much as we dislike how much they are paid, there is a going rate, and people will pick up and move if they can do better elsewhere. So I don’t know if this is as outrageous as it seems on the surface. Optics are bad, but I don’t doubt that retention could be an issue.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL...

AC Pilots are such idiots. Going on 18 months of 40% wage reductions plus they are giving up permanent concessions... For what? To save the company money so that they can rolll out $20million bonuses to the executives?

They're paying the bonuses with your concessions jackasses!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You are forgetting: if you don't pay the bazillions to the executives every time they lift a pencil, they would have to look for another guy. It might take longer than the 2 nanoseconds it takes to find a qualified pilot, which would of course hurt their bottom line; time being money and all that.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

altiplano wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:26 pm LOL...

AC Pilots are such idiots. Going on 18 months of 40% wage reductions plus they are giving up permanent concessions... For what? To save the company money so that they can rolll out $20million bonuses to the executives?

They're paying the bonuses with your concessions jackasses!
Perfect timing to extend the MOA soon!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Old fella wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:56 pm A major Corporation getting creative on rewarding its top guns while the underlings take the hits….. golly gee, imagine that.
:lol:

What's old is new again.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Open and honest question:

If AC pilots decide to strike, (ie. next contract negotiation, whatever) can the government force them back to work, WHILE being a shareholder?

When Harper succeeded, there was no ownership stake by the government in AC.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too, right?

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

It's truly Amazing that this story comes out just as the government votes NO to holding elections, as Government pensions would be in jeopardy for many if an election is called... Its amazing that CBC doesn't deep dive into ALL the raises government workers have gotten during this Blatant show of incompetence in response to Covid 19. Meanwhile they decimate Aviation...

Misdirection and slight of hand...

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Spaceshuttle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm It's truly Amazing that this story comes out just as the government votes NO to holding elections, as Government pensions would be in jeopardy for many if an election is called... Its amazing that CBC doesn't deep dive into ALL the raises government workers have gotten during this Blatant show of incompetence in response to Covid 19. Meanwhile they decimate Aviation...

How does that related to everything? Is a raise of 1% criminal in your mind?

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm Is a raise of 1% criminal in your mind?
While everybody else is losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, a ~1.75% raise granted to themselves by already-overpaid politicians is criminal, yes.
newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm How does that related to everything?
If by "everything" you mean this thread, I dunno. Doesn't really seem relevant.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:13 pm
newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm Is a raise of 1% criminal in your mind?
While everybody else is losing their jobs or taking pay cuts, a ~1.75% raise granted to themselves by already-overpaid politicians is criminal, yes.
newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm How does that related to everything?
If by "everything" you mean this thread, I dunno. Doesn't really seem relevant.
Everyone I know outside restaurants/retail is having their best year ever. Just because you don't get paid a fair wage isn't a reason to demand others get shit too.

Honestly though, I feel your mind is made up and it's not worth discussing since you're coming from a place of emotion and not reason.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

alkaseltzer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:09 am Open and honest question:

If AC pilots decide to strike, (ie. next contract negotiation, whatever) can the government force them back to work, WHILE being a shareholder?

I would answer yes because of “ legislation “ aka laws. A sitting Government can introduce legislation but it has to get final authorization from Parliament. With a majority, not an issue but currently in minority standing another opposition party has to concur. All sitting Governments (regardless of stripe) over the many years I have been around done exactly that.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

yycflyguy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:41 am
Old fella wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:56 pm A major Corporation getting creative on rewarding its top guns while the underlings take the hits….. golly gee, imagine that.
:lol:

What's old is new again.
No doubt,it has been established corporate culture from all major conglomerates be they public or privately held. Bombardier did the same over the many years it lived off Government aka tax payer teats.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

The government can legislate whatever it wants, the task is up to the union to fight for Charter labour rights.. ACPA LRD balked and withdrew the court challenge of the PASA despite other unions winning in the very same situation. That would have required them to work. and they don't like that, in fact some of them haven't been into work in years... they don't even live in the city.

Instead, after we lost in badly in illegal arbitration, LRD crafted a 10 year sub-inflation contract with the corporation to lick in our PASA FOS losses through what turned out to be the best run in the corporation's history, the flip side was that we couldn't take losses no matter what... and then we voted in more concessions anyways 2017 & 2020 openers, Covid MOAs, Cargo MOA... I'm sure that I'm missing a couple... all permanent concessions...

AC Pilots to the rescue without snap back, without quid pro quo, just an attaboy... we keep on giving....

So I guess to loop back and answer your question, absolutely the government can legislate AC Pilots to do whatever it wants because ACPA are such a weak and compliant association they won't do anything about it.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm
Spaceshuttle wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm It's truly Amazing that this story comes out just as the government votes NO to holding elections, as Government pensions would be in jeopardy for many if an election is called... Its amazing that CBC doesn't deep dive into ALL the raises government workers have gotten during this Blatant show of incompetence in response to Covid 19. Meanwhile they decimate Aviation...

How does that related to everything? Is a raise of 1% criminal in your mind?
1% ? has nothing to do with a lifetime pension, 90 MP's stand to loose a full pension if there is an election called. It's good to stay informed on todays events, not just where the media points you.

And yes, it is VERY bad to see pilots off on a reduced CRB, yes it was put forward to drop it from 500$ a week to $300 by our government, while top guys at AC get bonuses.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

altiplano wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:36 am

The government can legislate whatever it wants, the task is up to the union to fight for Charter labour rights.. ACPA LRD balked and withdrew the court challenge of the PASA despite other unions winning in the very same situation. That would have required them to work. and they don't like that, in fact some of them haven't been into work in years... they don't even live in the city.

Instead, after we lost in badly in illegal arbitration, LRD crafted a 10 year sub-inflation contract with the corporation to lick in our PASA FOS losses through what turned out to be the best run in the corporation's history, the flip side was that we couldn't take losses no matter what... and then we voted in more concessions anyways 2017 & 2020 openers, Covid MOAs, Cargo MOA... I'm sure that I'm missing a couple... all permanent concessions...

AC Pilots to the rescue without snap back, without quid pro quo, just an attaboy... we keep on giving....

So I guess to loop back and answer your question, absolutely the government can legislate AC Pilots to do whatever it wants because ACPA are such a weak and compliant association they won't do anything about it.
Thanks.

July 1st - should be “Set the Parking Brake” event.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Old fella wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 pm

I would answer yes because of “ legislation “ aka laws. A sitting Government can introduce legislation but it has to get final authorization from Parliament. With a majority, not an issue but currently in minority standing another opposition party has to concur. All sitting Governments (regardless of stripe) over the many years I have been around done exactly that.
Wonder if the PC/QC/NDP would collectively vote to “stick it” to them...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

The CPC would back Trudeau jr , after all they would embarrass themselves by not doing so.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is extremely difficult for pilots to bargain: they only have their labour to withdraw if they don't get their way, and we know how easy it is to replace them right now. Once things get going, it might be harder. I wish people all the luck in the world.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”