Birddogs & AC690's

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Birddogs & AC690's

Post by Bede »

I'm curious why almost all bird dogs are Turbo Commanders? It seems like every province uses only Commanders. Is it just that they're high wing and quick or is there some other quality that makes them desirable for birddogging?

BTW I'm asking about aircraft, not the shorts with built in underwear. https://www.birddogs.com/
---------- ADS -----------

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Birddogs & AC690's

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

High wing, agile and quick.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Probably a mix of cheap to pick up and same fuel type makes them good bird dogs as well.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I don't think fuel type is a factor. Ontario uses about half avgas commanders, half turbo commanders. If anything, that increases the risk of a misfueling.

I believe Alberta has a mix of Commanders and Caravans. Manitoba switched over from Cessna 310s to Turbo commanders.

Its probably more of a fashion thing. Province A sees province B has commanders, so wants some as well. If companies are bidding on contracts, they likely prefer to use the same airplane type the government is used too as well. Change is always dangerous.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Back when I was there, I was told the piston engine commander 500s weren’t able to keep up with the new CL415 as they are faster than the CL215 so that’s why they got the 690.

Let’s Go Brandon
_skyfall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by _skyfall »

As others said...the high wing, they're agile and quick.

Keep in mind the birddog should be the first on fire in order to establish control of the airspace and although we aren't going to out run an electra or q400, the turbines at least get us a decent cruise speed to/from the fire so the tankers aren't having to wait for us while orbiting outside the zone.

With regards to the Alberta comment about the commanders/caravans, the caravans are grouped with the fireboss/wheelie 802s, although we all do inevitably fly together at some point or another.

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

We use Turbo Commanders for the fast planes ( Electras), and King Air 100’s for the slower one. ( Fireboss, CL-215). Both are good for bird dogging, administration flights, and ferry with the engineers and spare parts for base changes.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”