How to train as helicopter operation manager ?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

woopyjumper
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to train as helicopter operation manager ?

Post by woopyjumper »

Hi everyone, I am looking at potentially switching from pilot to helicopter flight operation manager (Canada). I got no previous experience whatsoever and I am not sure what I want to do with it -either run a flight operation or have my own company- TBD.

There are lots of airline/general aviation courses avail online but I can not find any specific courses dedicated to helicopter operations (HAI has one but it is not appropriate). Those of you who went the management way, how did you learn the trade ? On the job ? Did you take a general management course or have some business background, unrelated to aviation ?

Would an airline management diploma be appropriate or too disparate ? Any books, courses, etc.. you could recommend ?

I was offered a management position in the past but did not take it as I feel I need some training beforehand.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your replies

Wj
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: How to train as helicopter operation manager ?

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

woopyjumper wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:24 pm Hi everyone, I am looking at potentially switching from pilot to helicopter flight operation manager (Canada). I got no previous experience whatsoever and I am not sure what I want to do with it -either run a flight operation or have my own company- TBD.

There are lots of airline/general aviation courses avail online but I can not find any specific courses dedicated to helicopter operations (HAI has one but it is not appropriate). Those of you who went the management way, how did you learn the trade ? On the job ? Did you take a general management course or have some business background, unrelated to aviation ?

Would an airline management diploma be appropriate or too disparate ? Any books, courses, etc.. you could recommend ?

I was offered a management position in the past but did not take it as I feel I need some training beforehand.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your replies

Wj

Canada’s helicopter “industry” if you want to call it that is extremely small and largely different company to company. There is nothing in the airline or corporate world that even comes close to the demand from maintenance and flying staff. I’d say unless you have some kind of experience in Canada’s market beforehand it may catch you off guard how…. Interesting things are. You say you’re a pilot, I’m assuming rotary if you want to go this route. I’ve done it and I am still doing the management thing. It’s very much learn as you go, operators in Canada don’t often invest in management training which is a good point as HR knowledge is extremely lacking as AMEs and pilots progress into these positions. AMEs and pilots should be managers to their respective departments absolutely, they know what it’s about. As for business training I think you’ll be on your own to progress to MBA or the like at your own expense usually. I don’t think it’ll matter at the end of the day with owners as to your remuneration and schedule or lack thereof, but you’ll be better equipped if you do some management training for sure. Sorry I can’t offer much else than the obvious which you’ve already pointed out.

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to train as helicopter operation manager ?

Post by EasyTarget »

Step one, look up the qualifications of the position under the CAR's. Although this one states "aeroplanes" the process is the same.

CAR 723.07 (2) Qualifications and Responsibilities of Operational Personnel

(a) Operations Manager

(i) Qualifications

(A) hold or have held the appropriate licence and ratings which a pilot-in-command is required to hold for one of the aeroplanes operated; or have acquired not less than 2 years related supervisory experience with an air operator of a commercial air service whose flight operations are similar in size and scope;
(B) demonstrate knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the Company Operations Manual, the Air Operator Certificate and Operations Specifications, the provisions of the regulations and standards necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities to ensure safety; and
(C) has attended a Company Aviation Safety Officer (CASO) course or attends such a course within 12 months of assuming the position of Operations Manager.
(amended 2000/12/01; no previous version)

From my memory of people that have gone through the process (I have not, nor do I have a plan to) you have to be nominated for the position by an operator, or be applying for an Operating Certificate. Once that occurs the process as laid out above will commence once they accept you meet the qualifications. Most people that move into these rolls have extensive operational flying experience. It would be tough go for someone with limited experience to step into the role.

You may want to check with some of the larger operators who utilize an "Assistant Operations Manager". This position holds no authority with Transport Canada, but you normally end up being one doing all the paperwork and learning the regs. Sets you up properly for the role you are seeking.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”