Flying Recreationally

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flying Recreationally

Post by C-GKNT »

Petit-Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:59 pm Chartering is not flying.
Is there a place in Canada where I can rent a helicopter, go somewhere, spend a few hours or the night, and come back at night or the next day?
As far as I know. No.

I have heard of a few places in the US but rare there as well.

Flying helicopters really requires a certain level of currency and are not great for the casual flyers. The insurance/rental market is a reflection on that.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

C-GKNT wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 am
helicopterray wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm Co-ownership with a group of like minded people to split the cost of the aircraft and maintenance.
There’s people that co-own private helicopters in Canada? Seen that with GA junk never fling wing
I know a group of 4 that owns an R44. They went liability only on insurance for a while...Can't imagine what would have happened if one of them wrecked it. However, they seem to be happy with the arrangement.
That’s too rich for my blood, no thanks lol

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Is there a place in Canada where I can rent a helicopter, go somewhere, spend a few hours or the night, and come back at night or the next day?
If you're enrolled in flight training it is possible, otherwise no.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Very highly unlikely due to the price tag associated with helicopters. It’s likely doable but not economical for either party involved. One tail strike from that day rental will ruin everyone’s lives for years in court

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

helicopterray wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm Co-ownership with a group of like minded people to split the cost of the aircraft and maintenance.
There’s people that co-own private helicopters in Canada? Seen that with GA junk never fling wing
Met a guy 2 weeks ago who bought a 206 in partnership with 2 other people.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

helicopterray wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 pm
Met a guy 2 weeks ago who bought a 206 in partnership with 2 other people.

Interesting, I guess jet rangers are getting cheaper it makes sense. They’re just flying under chapter 6?

Flyandfish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyandfish »

I wanted to reply to the original topic/poster.

The general theme in GA in Canada is that its expensive because there isn’t enough people doing it and there aren’t enough people doing it because its expensive. Like most things if you look outside the box a bit and do some research you can get to the goal. I fly an r22 privately but in order to afford it I did things differently. Firstly the cost of licencing is about half in the US so I went to a local doctor who could do both a canadian and american medical and then pooled my vacation time and some money to go down to the states and get my licence. Then I studied up and wrote the conversion exam to get a canadian licence. I drove down to the us and rented to stay current until I could afford my own machine. GA and private flying is much more common in the US so renting is easier.

For buying an R22 they have a 2200hr/12 year life limit and if you search around you can pick up one that is close to the limits and almost fully depreciated. I am just planning on selling mine at a smaller loss when it gets to the 12year limit and buying another one. I look at it as more of an x-year lease than a purchase and because of the time limits on robinsons the values are pretty easy to figure out.

For storage I just rent a spot in a shop at a farm outside the city. I took a few of the neighbours for rides and there have been no complaints. I also set up an avgas tank and by in bulk so I save about 15c/ltr there.

For insurance liability is affordable but full coverage is outside my means so I just fly often to stay current, never push my weather limits, and use a larger area to land and walk a bit if my spot is tight.

Like others have said an R22 is small and cant haul much but it suits me and there are more affordable options to make it doable on a blue collar wage. (Although it does take most of that wage). I don’t want anyone to misunderstand this as a cheap hobby though. I figure it costs about 20-25k a year for the depreciation and costs on the helicopter and I probably spent about 130k getting into it. But its still cheaper than an RV and a boat and I own a tent and a flyrod that fit in my helicopter so I can justify it to myself at least.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Flyandfish wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:27 am I wanted to reply to the original topic/poster.

The general theme in GA in Canada is that its expensive because there isn’t enough people doing it and there aren’t enough people doing it because its expensive. Like most things if you look outside the box a bit and do some research you can get to the goal. I fly an r22 privately but in order to afford it I did things differently. Firstly the cost of licencing is about half in the US so I went to a local doctor who could do both a canadian and american medical and then pooled my vacation time and some money to go down to the states and get my licence. Then I studied up and wrote the conversion exam to get a canadian licence. I drove down to the us and rented to stay current until I could afford my own machine. GA and private flying is much more common in the US so renting is easier.

For buying an R22 they have a 2200hr/12 year life limit and if you search around you can pick up one that is close to the limits and almost fully depreciated. I am just planning on selling mine at a smaller loss when it gets to the 12year limit and buying another one. I look at it as more of an x-year lease than a purchase and because of the time limits on robinsons the values are pretty easy to figure out.

For storage I just rent a spot in a shop at a farm outside the city. I took a few of the neighbours for rides and there have been no complaints. I also set up an avgas tank and by in bulk so I save about 15c/ltr there.

For insurance liability is affordable but full coverage is outside my means so I just fly often to stay current, never push my weather limits, and use a larger area to land and walk a bit if my spot is tight.

Like others have said an R22 is small and cant haul much but it suits me and there are more affordable options to make it doable on a blue collar wage. (Although it does take most of that wage). I don’t want anyone to misunderstand this as a cheap hobby though. I figure it costs about 20-25k a year for the depreciation and costs on the helicopter and I probably spent about 130k getting into it. But its still cheaper than an RV and a boat and I own a tent and a flyrod that fit in my helicopter so I can justify it to myself at least.
Just saw this. Some interesting ideas there and reminds me of a farmer I know of near st Thomas

Return to “Helicopter Forum”