Will instrument rating help with finding a job?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bravoh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Will instrument rating help with finding a job?

Post by Bravoh »

Hi Guys and Girls
I am pilot with 900 hrs of total flight time mostly on twin engine helicopters off shore as CP, I converted my foreign license in 2020 just before everything closed down and couldn’t get my instrument rating on my Canadian license. I have Been looking for a job since with no success, lately I’m thinking about getting my instrument rating and I was wondering if it could help with finding a job in Canada. Would appreciate your opinion and experience in the matter.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Will instrument rating help with finding a job?

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bravoh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 am Hi Guys and Girls
I am pilot with 900 hrs of total flight time mostly on twin engine helicopters off shore as CP, I converted my foreign license in 2020 just before everything closed down and couldn’t get my instrument rating on my Canadian license. I have Been looking for a job since with no success, lately I’m thinking about getting my instrument rating and I was wondering if it could help with finding a job in Canada. Would appreciate your opinion and experience in the matter.
Not a whole lot of work for that in Canada most guys are getting out of Canada for that kind of work. The list of companies looking for that here I can count on one hand and they’re all a pretty stacked deck for pilots. What kind of work you looking for? Canada is mostly Daytime VFR work

Bravoh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravoh »

Thanks for the reply, I was looking for VFR work but since I couldn’t find any I thought getting my instrument rating will help with finding a job.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bravoh wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:19 pm Thanks for the reply, I was looking for VFR work but since I couldn’t find any I thought getting my instrument rating will help with finding a job.
It’s been really thought for local guys for years here with oil and gas and exploration drying up. There’s too many guys and aircraft not enough work

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Probably not.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

How much PIC time do you have? And what country were you flying in?

Problem could be, despite your TT, that you may not have enough PIC for VFR work.

Bravoh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravoh »

Thanks for the reply everyone, I have 350 hours pic and I flew in South Africa and Iran.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bravoh wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:08 pm Thanks for the reply everyone, I have 350 hours pic and I flew in South Africa and Iran.
Good luck to you

Return to “Helicopter Forum”