Yukon Trip- Fuel and Weather

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

gryph0n
Rank 0
Rank 0

Yukon Trip- Fuel and Weather

Post by gryph0n »

Hi all,

I am originally from the Yukon (Carcross area) and would like to fly up in my C 140. I live in the US currently, and had a few logistical questions for any GA pilots who fly in northern Canada.
1. My aircraft has about 4 hours fuel total, and does 100 mph. I noticed there are very few airports that sell 100LL. How do you handle refueling at more remote airports? I see alot of barrels at remote airports, do you stage your own fuel?
2. How does one get enroute weather updates? Are you able to call ATC anywhere and get a destination METAR? Is there an altitude you normally need to be at to be able to raise ATC?

Thanks and sorry for the naive questions.
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Yukon Trip- Fuel and Weather

Post by rigpiggy »

Are you on foreflight? 3 routes depending on where you're coming from. Coast/trench/highway. Gas, until north of the YXT/yXS/YXJ line is plentiful after that Watson Nelson/Dease Lake/Ketchikan/Juneau. Enroute weather is tricky, but with cell phone data, and an ipad, a lot easier. There are also a number of CARS stations along the way. Since it is in the rocks, I would only go when she puts is 6+/3000'

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Yukon Trip- Fuel and Weather

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

For your airplane the coast route and the trench would be problematical

From Vancouver the route would be one of the lower mainland airports, Williams Lake, Fort St John, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse , Carcross.

Starting East of the Rockies whatever works to Fort St John and then the above route

All of these airports except Carcoss "should" have avgas but you need to check NOTAM's as there have been several times when these airports have run out recently

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”