Floatplane accident analysis

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Floatplane accident analysis

Post by Bede »

A friend of mine recently published this paper. Should be required reading for all seaplane pilots.

Highlights:
1) Fatality rate for seaplane accidents ~10%
2) A majority of accidents were loss of control on take off or landing (54%)
3) Stall on approach was associated with the highest fatality rate (48%) but represented only 2% of accidents.
4) Gusty wind was the biggest risk for accidents (25%). Wind and waves the largest factor for fatal accidents (32%).
5) Sustaining injury was the egress factor with the largest fatality rate (79%).
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Adult paper.pdf
(543.45 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Floatplane accident analysis

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Talked to an experienced floatplane pilot recently. Here is a good potential lifesaving tip applicable to land and sea ops but more so to sea ops as inverted accidents are more likely and drowning can happen quickly.

If you are taking passengers, make sure their seatbelt is not just buckled but buckled properly(it is not unusual for them to get it buckled improperly). By properly, I mean that the section of the belt with the buckle is not twisted 180 degrees so that the release portion is backward and facing the passenger. That is because when the aircraft has crashed and is upside down, you or a rescuer will almost certainly not be able to unbuckle the belt because the weight of the person is on the buckle and preventing its operation.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Talked to an experienced floatplane pilot recently. Here is a good potential lifesaving tip applicable to land and sea ops but more so to sea ops as inverted accidents are more likely and drowning can happen quickly.

If you are taking passengers, make sure their seatbelt is not just buckled but buckled properly(it is not unusual for them to get it buckled improperly). By properly, I mean that the section of the belt with the buckle is not twisted 180 degrees so that the release portion is backward and facing the passenger. That is because when the aircraft has crashed and is upside down, you or a rescuer will almost certainly not be able to unbuckle the belt because the weight of the person is on the buckle and preventing its operation.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I would expect that for any passenger wearing a seatbelt, the pre flight safety briefing as to how to open it would reveal if it had been done up incorrectly, But sure, check it's not up side down!

On the topic of seatbelts, particularly in Cessnas (be they land or sea), be aware of the original Cessna single shoulder strap. It connected to the lap belt tang with a keyhole over pin arrangement. Okay - adequate. However, some left the factory such that the side of the lap belt which had the tang came from the outboard side of the fuselage, rather than the inboard. The result is that even if you open the lap belt, the shoulder strap and the tang side of the lap belt remain connected, and are not coming apart unless you remove the strain - which won't happen easily if you're suspended.

This is an unsafe condition, and I have commented it to TC more than once. Each Cessna owner should assess this, and have the lap belt changed around if possible. (Some won't change around and work). If not possible, assure that a seatbelt cutter is available, and brief its use.

As it's floatplanes, remember that you're likely only leaving with what's on your person going out the door, you're not going back for it. What do you want while you're floating in cold water, trying to signal for help? Lifejacket? Whistle? Light? Phone? Wear them while flying - phone in a waterproof bag - they work :oops:

In any case, remember that pilots are not invincible, the passenger(s) may be getting out with only the information you gave them before takeoff. If you briefed them correctly, they might save you!

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm

As it's floatplanes, remember that you're likely only leaving with what's on your person going out the door, you're not going back for it. What do you want while you're floating in cold water, trying to signal for help? Lifejacket? Whistle? Light? Phone? Wear them while flying - phone in a waterproof bag - they work :oops:

In any case, remember that pilots are not invincible, the passenger(s) may be getting out with only the information you gave them before takeoff. If you briefed them correctly, they might save you!
Great advice.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm I would expect that for any passenger wearing a seatbelt, the pre flight safety briefing as to how to open it would reveal if it had been done up incorrectly, But sure, check it's not up side down!
Apparently the scenario I gave is based on an actual recent accident. I suppose someone could also unbuckle their seat belt in flight and then buckle it up again the wrong way. From what I have read, the average passenger tends to remember little from a briefing, or they may speak a different language.

Good thought about the single shoulder harness. There is one plane I was flying that had the single shoulder harness. I mentioned that it really should be replaced as a sudden deceleration would have you rotate around the shoulder harness.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

a sudden deceleration would have you rotate around the shoulder harness.
Or break a clavicle, and end up with it an inch shorter than before!

I extra like four point harnesses now!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”