AME Helicopter Lifestyle..?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AoA2021
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Helicopter Lifestyle..?

Post by AoA2021 »

Hi all, here is a recent graduate working in the automotive industry on composites because of the pandemic,living in Toronto (kills me how expensive it is!) wife and 2 kids. Please let me know the good and bad about working in helicopters...I love the countryside and riding my trail bike in the weekends....very interested in working on helicopters. Better pay? Advantages? Disadvantages? Thanks all for your help and God bless!
---------- ADS -----------

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AME Helicopter Lifestyle..?

Post by MOAB »

Depending on what/where you work it won’t be a Monday to Friday type deal, at least year round.

Most places I’d expect the summers to be tours 28/10 ish and winters more of an even split. Most of my good friends are AME’s and they like job, they have been at it for 8-10 years so they are in a good spot. Starting out it can be a grind, but decent depending on where you want to be and what you want to work on.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

AoA2021 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:42 am Hi all, here is a recent graduate working in the automotive industry on composites because of the pandemic,living in Toronto (kills me how expensive it is!) wife and 2 kids. Please let me know the good and bad about working in helicopters...I love the countryside and riding my trail bike in the weekends....very interested in working on helicopters. Better pay? Advantages? Disadvantages? Thanks all for your help and God bless!
It’s horrible in Canada right now but looks like things turning around slowly? The pay isn’t good anymore and there’s little to no schedule to start, if ever. You’ll be 5-10 years before you have any sort of rotation that’s reasonable. Advantages you’ll see lots of Canada while you get paid(ish) but most places are sh1tholes, Arctic work is sparse anymore. Disadvantages, where do I begin, if you have a family you care about I’d seriously consider something else, you’ll be gone lots, and the pay just isn’t there anymore here in Canada, especially given the hours and liability inherent with the work. All what you want if you like travel and being a gypsy with a family on the phone most of the time it may be for you, don’t expect to make big money for a long time.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

AoA2021 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:42 am Hi all, here is a recent graduate working in the automotive industry on composites because of the pandemic,living in Toronto (kills me how expensive it is!) wife and 2 kids. Please let me know the good and bad about working in helicopters...I love the countryside and riding my trail bike in the weekends....very interested in working on helicopters. Better pay? Advantages? Disadvantages? Thanks all for your help and God bless!
If you’re fresh out of school you’ll find work and get rode hard and put up wet. Little time at home and zero schedule, if you’re a family man I’d seriously consider something else.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

MOAB wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:27 pm Depending on what/where you work it won’t be a Monday to Friday type deal, at least year round.

Most places I’d expect the summers to be tours 28/10 ish and winters more of an even split. Most of my good friends are AME’s and they like job, they have been at it for 8-10 years so they are in a good spot. Starting out it can be a grind, but decent depending on where you want to be and what you want to work on.
Depends on your definition of a “good spot” lol

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

It has been great for me.

Traveled the world, met interesting people, went to places most people only look at in pictures and got paid well for it. Never had to worry about unemployment.

Downsides are: mosquitos, inclement weather and being away from home for extended periods.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:48 am It has been great for me.

Traveled the world, met interesting people, went to places most people only look at in pictures and got paid well for it. Never had to worry about unemployment.

Downsides are: mosquitos, inclement weather and being away from home for extended periods.
I’d agree with that I’ve been all over the place to the top of the world and bottom (literally). The pay is not what it was and that is a fact. Flight pay is absurd in Canada these days as well as the rates in general (fixing and flying). The extended periods from home thing is a problem, it’s cost me a divorce and several other relationships (not to mention how hard it is on kids). Mosquitos and weather never bothered me it’s part of the outdoors which I love. You never have to worry about unemployment as long as you’re willing to work for whatever is offered (which is a joke these days in Canada). I have my own gig and most of my work is states side these days, it’s a shame what Canadas vertical flight industry has become.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”