Layoffs coming?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Layoffs coming?

Post by Bil Derberg »

With the Omicron variant threatening domestic travel, and government mandating more restrictions just before holidays, word on the street is that we might see furloughs. Thoughts...
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Layoffs coming?

Post by imjustlurking »

Bil Derberg wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am With the Omicron variant threatening domestic travel, and government mandating more restrictions just before holidays, word on the street is that we might see furloughs. Thoughts...
Word on the street from who?

Those being recalled are protected for a minimum of three months as per the MOA. The only thing that can kick them out would be bump downs from WJ, but WJ is being forced to recall all of their pilots by May due to arbitration.

With that, it's possible but very unlikely.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

Bil Derberg wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am With the Omicron variant threatening domestic travel, and government mandating more restrictions just before holidays, word on the street is that we might see furloughs. Thoughts...
Yeah I'm not buying that.

Makes zero sense to punt out people just to need them back this summer. We have overwhelming evidence that this is going to be short lived. To suggest that it means that the some restrictions and load reductions mean punting out pilots is both illogical and ridiculous.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

You’re right, word from the other street that layoffs will be coming in 2023 because a new Ebola-Omicron will emerge.
Stay tuned!

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

QKZXKV wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:43 pm Makes zero sense to punt out people just to need them back this summer. We have overwhelming evidence that this is going to be short lived. To suggest that it means that the some restrictions and load reductions mean punting out pilots is both illogical and ridiculous.
HAHA, you do realize who are government is and that they could care less about evidence. In fact based on that they will probably ban travel just because.

No I don't think layoffs will be coming to most anyone called back. Very expensive for layoffs, and the fact that things are moving in the right direction I just don't see that occuring.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

flyinhigh wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:31 am
QKZXKV wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:43 pm Makes zero sense to punt out people just to need them back this summer. We have overwhelming evidence that this is going to be short lived. To suggest that it means that the some restrictions and load reductions mean punting out pilots is both illogical and ridiculous.
HAHA, you do realize who are government is and that they could care less about evidence. In fact based on that they will probably ban travel just because.

No I don't think layoffs will be coming to most anyone called back. Very expensive for layoffs, and the fact that things are moving in the right direction I just don't see that occuring.
yes I know who our government is. I probably trust them less than you do. Here's the thing, you see this thing spreading at the rate that it is and causing very little illness in the 18-50 age groups, partly because of the vaccinations staving off the worst of it, but also because of reinfection and a milder variant. We did very little with a more severe Delta in the fall (especially states side). Evidence isn't there; this is not 2020.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

1. The recall LOU means nothing. Omicron will be “out of their control”. Ref: see yesterdays public announcement from the company.

2. They put a position bid out earlier this week for April positions. The bid was put out well after the omicron wave started. Why would they put a bid out if their bookings were taking a hit?

3. The airport has been packed. Most people are over this.

4. Our pretty boy PM has said it doesn’t make sense to close borders.

Return to “WestJet Encore”