Random Applicant Question

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

stormymonday
Rank 2
Rank 2

Random Applicant Question

Post by stormymonday »

Hi everyone,
I have such a random question! LOL Seeing as we've lost almost 2 years of our lives due to the pandemic; I was curious, what is the general age of most applicants? I feel like I've been in the candidate pool forever, and feel the perception may be that I'm getting "too old" for a career change. Are a lot of you just starting out your career lives? I'm 42, to give you an idea.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

kaye.boe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Random Applicant Question

Post by kaye.boe »

Hey stormymonday!

I think I've been in the pool since early 2018 (had to postpone in-person assessments a couple times due to work). At this point, luckily pushed it though as I would have probably been one of the ones laid off if I had started in 2019/2020, assuming I'd be courses loaded. So, 4 years in the making here!

I don't think 42 is too old. Definitely on the older side I'm sure, but I've heard of people just entering the aviation industry in their 50s. I'll be hitting 30 shortly and this will (hopefully) be a pleasant career change. Considering you still have 20+ years possible in the work force I don't see why age would be a factor if you pass each stage of the application process. :)

atcguy98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcguy98 »

My goal was to get into ATC right after undergrad (or as soon as possible given how competitive it is), but that didn't happen due to the hiring freeze. Since then I've been completing a masters and working an internship while having my application in. At this point, I just hope to get invited to recruitment whenever that may be. I'm approaching my mid-20s.

With that said, NavCanada doesn't have any restrictions on age (others like EuroControl want recruits to start training before 25), so it's never too late here! Keep following your aspirations :)

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

No such thing as too old or too young to be hired, but keep in mind that training requires you to be on your toes, to retain and recall information quick enough, and to know how to dig yourself out of tough situations by being creative; I find older trainees tend to rely on trying to find the same solution for the problem and that gets them nowhere but out the door. The job gets harder to learn the older you get, and I say that without prejudice - just the nature of the beast. In saying so, it is definitely possible to qualify even when you are older.

TheGooseIsLoose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheGooseIsLoose »

I was 21 when I started training intially. I am 23 now after being recalled. Oldest in my class is 34.

Not sure how helpful that will be, I'm also not sure how they factor age into the hiring process.

Best of luck!

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Do not, I repeat, do NOT worry about your age one bit! Even if you are the oldest in your class age means nothing. I have seen younger trainees not put in the required work or are too lazy and I’ve seen older trainees work their asses off as they (generally) have more life experience behind and seem to appreciate what is ahead of them more.

Being younger can equate to learning easier or being sharper but if that’s the case for you all it means if you just work a little harder, practice a little more, study more frequent, etc etc.

stormymonday
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stormymonday »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:51 pm No such thing as too old or too young to be hired, but keep in mind that training requires you to be on your toes, to retain and recall information quick enough, and to know how to dig yourself out of tough situations by being creative; I find older trainees tend to rely on trying to find the same solution for the problem and that gets them nowhere but out the door. The job gets harder to learn the older you get, and I say that without prejudice - just the nature of the beast. In saying so, it is definitely possible to qualify even when you are older.
Hi Stabilizedapproach, thanks for the feedback! I can totally see how that would make sense. Funny, however, I feel that I'm way sharper now than I ever was in my "earlier" years! LOL I think 15 years ago, I would have never had the focus or drive for this type of career.

Reading all the "never too old" comments is awesome! Just solidifies my feelings... fingers crossed!

cheers!

Last edited by stormymonday on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormymonday
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stormymonday »

TheGooseIsLoose wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 pm I was 21 when I started training intially. I am 23 now after being recalled. Oldest in my class is 34.

Not sure how helpful that will be, I'm also not sure how they factor age into the hiring process.

Best of luck!
Thanks! This is the type of answer I was looking for. I don't think/would not think Nav Canada would factor age into their hiring process/decision (illegal) lol but, was more curious as to if there were a lot of "straight out of school" candidates or "step up in their career" type candidates.

cheers!

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Based on the guys at Nav I have talked to, the majority of candidates are not 18/19, but most are in their 20's somewhere with a few in their 30's. I think the only barrier with age is the lessons and habits it teaches you over the years, but that is just conjecture.

I am waiting to start in the VFR course this April in YEG and I just turned 30. A lot of controllers also wont sit at the screen/tower for their whole career either, some move to training or recruitment, some try the management route, just because you start as a controller later in life doesn't mean you wont have meaningful options throughout your career. I think the only caveat to it is likely the same thing pilots have: you must be able to hold your (Cat 2 for ATC) medical, but as long as you can do that and can safely perform the job, good to go.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”