Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Second WestJet pilot medical emergency inflight

Post by ALPApolicy »

Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am
In all my years of flying in the airlines I have not heard of a single pilot incapacitation resulting in an emergency landing, we train for it, but I’ve never seen let alone heard of it. Now to have 2 in the span of 4 weeks at the same airline and ppl say it’s just wild and crazy conspiracy theories?? Oh, and don’t you dare think otherwise… this seems like the real overreaction.
I am not sure if Bede has his ears on, but I recall him commenting at some point in some venue on the topic of 'clustering'. I can't remember the context of his post and I don't know if it is relevant but I throw it out there.

Additionally, it is well known that the human brain is a pattern recognition machine by dint of evolutionary forces favouring those creatures that could recognize patterns, remember those patterns, and in the case of danger associated with those patterns, avoid them or take protective action. Although a dataset of two is tough to make a pattern from, our brain wants to. Everything in our primate brain urges us to assign a pattern to a temporally random grouping of two events.

I get it Transition9er2. There is a powerful desire to associate the two events. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything connecting the two events other than time.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Whatever...... I wish both pilots at WJ a complete recovery and nothing but the very best going forward.

By your leave.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am
In all my years of flying in the airlines I have not heard of a single pilot incapacitation resulting in an emergency landing, we train for it, but I’ve never seen let alone heard of it. Now to have 2 in the span of 4 weeks at the same airline and ppl say it’s just wild and crazy conspiracy theories?? Oh, and don’t you dare think otherwise… this seems like the real overreaction.
I am not sure if Bede has his ears on, but I recall him commenting at some point in some venue on the topic of 'clustering'. I can't remember the context of his post and I don't know if it is relevant but I throw it out there.

Additionally, it is well known that the human brain is a pattern recognition machine by dint of evolutionary forces favouring those creatures that could recognize patterns, remember those patterns, and in the case of danger associated with those patterns, avoid them or take protective action. Although a dataset of two is tough to make a pattern from, our brain wants to. Everything in our primate brain urges us to assign a pattern to a temporally random grouping of two events.

I get it Transition9er2. There is a powerful desire to associate the two events. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything connecting the two events other than time.
Damnit ALPApolicy. My feelings toward you swing back and forth faster than a mole rat running from hole to hole. Right now I agree with you 100%.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am In all my years of flying in the airlines I have not heard of a single pilot incapacitation resulting in an emergency landing, we train for it, but I’ve never seen let alone heard of it. Now to have 2 in the span of 4 weeks at the same airline and ppl say it’s just wild and crazy conspiracy theories?? Oh, and don’t you dare think otherwise… this seems like the real overreaction.
But then again, maybe you all are right, maybe Pilot medical emergencies in flight resulting in emergency landings was quite common and this is simply an over exaggeration.
I've heard of plenty. A quick google search found several examples on skybrary aero...They happen all the time, especially with an aging and sedentary population.

https://skybrary.aero/articles/pilot-incapacitation

Kevin Keswick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kevin Keswick »

Arnie Pye wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am In all my years of flying in the airlines I have not heard of a single pilot incapacitation resulting in an emergency landing, we train for it, but I’ve never seen let alone heard of it. Now to have 2 in the span of 4 weeks at the same airline and ppl say it’s just wild and crazy conspiracy theories?? Oh, and don’t you dare think otherwise… this seems like the real overreaction.
But then again, maybe you all are right, maybe Pilot medical emergencies in flight resulting in emergency landings was quite common and this is simply an over exaggeration.
I've heard of plenty. A quick google search found several examples on skybrary aero...They happen all the time, especially with an aging and sedentary population.

I checked out that link but did not find any data on the frequency of such events just anecdotal information.

I posted earlier a UK study from 2004. From that study for the year of 2004 there was only one incident of pilot incapacitation resulting from either a cardiovascular or cerebrovascular event. I would imagine in 2004 the UK had as many commercial pilots as we do today in Canada so I think this is a valid comparison although I would like to find more studies.

Here is a link to the study - refer to table 2 https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/fil ... f/3395.pdf

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Kevin Keswick wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

I checked out that link but did not find any data on the frequency of such events just anecdotal information.

I posted earlier a UK study from 2004. From that study for the year of 2004 there was only one incident of pilot incapacitation resulting from either a cardiovascular or cerebrovascular event. I would imagine in 2004 the UK had as many commercial pilots as we do today in Canada so I think this is a valid comparison although I would like to find more studies.

Here is a link to the study - refer to table 2 https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/fil ... f/3395.pdf
Kevin, did you know that you can infect others with COVID through your fart?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am
Kevin Keswick wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Kevin, did you know that you can infect others with COVID through your fart?
That’s why they are now drafting up public policy that in addition to a medical mask, you must wear a proper fitting diaper when out in public.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:41 pm That’s why they are now drafting up public policy that in addition to a medical mask, you must wear a proper fitting diaper when out in public.
No more running to the bathroom in between flights

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”