Unvaccinated student pilot

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
Dragon1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Unvaccinated student pilot

Post by Dragon1969 »

Hello,

Just asking for a friend who is wondering whether the government vaccination mandate also applies to a not fully vaccinated student pilot flying with a free lance flight instructor on their own private airplane.

thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Unvaccinated student pilot

Post by PilotDAR »

Upon reading this, several questions come to my mind. My best reaction to the questions which have come to my mind would be to post: [nothing]

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Dragon1969 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 am Hello,

Just asking for a friend who is wondering whether the government vaccination mandate also applies to a not fully vaccinated student pilot flying with a free lance flight instructor on their own private airplane.

thanks in advance
The answer is "tell your friend to stop being a little bî†çh and get vaccinated"

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Ugh, I hate these vaccination threads. The Covid sub was bad enough. Anyways, last time I checked, it depends on the airport. TC mandated any person on certain airports (most reasonable size ones like YQT & YYB) to be vaccinated. No idea who is enforcing though...

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

imjustlurking wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm

thanks in advance
The answer is "tell your friend to stop being a little bî†çh and get vaccinated"
How about you do your part to improve the world by just not talking.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

thanks in advance
If the instructor is happy and the student is happy, carry on. One minor potential future glitch might be finding an examiner willing to go with an unvaxed candidate.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

tsgarp wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:01 pm

thanks in advance
How about you do your part by getting vaccinated and stop making stupid remarks such as
tsgarp wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:04 amI suggest you hedge your bets and start learning Chinese.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

imjustlurking wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:20 pm

How about you do your part by getting vaccinated and stop making stupid remarks such as
tsgarp wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:04 amI suggest you hedge your bets and start learning Chinese.
I am Vaxxed. I’m also well versed enough in science to realize that this vaccine is far from fully proven and constitutes an elevated risk when compared to other vaccines that have been around longer and that other people not having the vaccine doesn’t pose any real risk to me.

I still think you should learn Chinese, assuming you’re smart enough.

And with that, I cordially invite you to go pound sand.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:57 am

I am Vaxxed. I’m also well versed enough in science to realize that this vaccine is far from fully proven and constitutes an elevated risk when compared to other vaccines that have been around longer and that other people not having the vaccine doesn’t pose any real risk to me.

"well versed enough in science to realize that this vaccine is far from fully proven and constitutes an elevated risk"

That's a poor interpretation of the data.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

Nearly 90% of Ontarians 12+ are fully vaccinated. We can also see that it's roughly a 50/50 split of people in ICU with COVID-19. That means that the 11% of people who are not fully vaccinated account for 50% of ICU cases.

Sure, vaccines don't prevent you from getting sick, but no vaccine prevents you from getting sick. If you don't understand that concept, please read up on the basics of vaccines.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:50 am

"well versed enough in science to realize that this vaccine is far from fully proven and constitutes an elevated risk"

Nearly 90% of Ontarians 12+ are fully vaccinated. We can also see that it's roughly a 50/50 split of people in ICU with COVID-19. That means that the 11% of people who are not fully vaccinated account for 50% of ICU cases.

Sure, vaccines don't prevent you from getting sick, but no vaccine prevents you from getting sick. If you don't understand that concept, please read up on the basics of vaccines.
Uhhhh what? So how did we eradicate certain diseases such as smallpox, if no vaccine prevents you from getting sick? How come there is essentially no more polio in the developed world? Please stop spreading misinformation

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

If you insist on declining my invitation to pound sand, please read this before you reply.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068665

Significant chance of myocarditis for young men who get the vaccine. Even the vaccine manufactures have acknowledged this. These are only the known side effects so far. Normal vaccines take years or decades of testing before they are put into use. This one was brought in in about a year under huge political pressure. Who knows what other long term side effects it could have.

What this comes down to is that each individual must assess the risk factors relevant to them and act accordingly.

My invitation to go pound sand remains open.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

twa22 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 am

Uhhhh what? So how did we eradicate certain diseases such as smallpox, if no vaccine prevents you from getting sick? How come there is essentially no more polio in the developed world? Please stop spreading misinformation
Now don’t be too harsh on him; he’s a product of a compromised education system.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:43 am I am Vaxxed. I’m also well versed enough in science to realize that this vaccine is far from fully proven and constitutes an elevated risk when compared to other vaccines that have been around longer and that other people not having the vaccine doesn’t pose any real risk to me.
tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:43 am https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068665

Significant chance of myocarditis for young men who get the vaccine.
The risk of myocarditis isn't from the vaccine, it's from an immune response. Yes there is a slight increased risk of myocarditis in young men above baseline. But the risk to young men of myocarditis following a Cov-2 infection is approximately 10x greater than the risk following a vaccination.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm

I'm curious, you said that you're well versed in science. Sorry to be a dick, but what's the most advanced science course you've ever taken?

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:43 am

If you insist on declining my invitation to pound sand, please read this before you reply.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068665

Significant chance of myocarditis for young men who get the vaccine. Even the vaccine manufactures have acknowledged this. These are only the known side effects so far. Normal vaccines take years or decades of testing before they are put into use. This one was brought in in about a year under huge political pressure. Who knows what other long term side effects it could have.

What this comes down to is that each individual must assess the risk factors relevant to them and act accordingly.

My invitation to go pound sand remains open.
Do you read your own "proof"?
Of 3 482 295 individuals vaccinated with BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech), 48 developed myocarditis or myopericarditis within 28 days from the vaccination date compared with unvaccinated individuals (adjusted hazard ratio 1.34 (95% confidence interval 0.90 to 2.00); absolute rate 1.4 per 100 000 vaccinated individuals within 28 days of vaccination (95% confidence interval 1.0 to 1.8)).
At the same time, there are higher risks of long term negative effects from COVID itself.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:50 am I'm curious, you said that you're well versed in science. Sorry to be a dick, but what's the most advanced science course you've ever taken?
B.Sc. Hons Chem. You?

Dude, I'm not saying don't get the vax and I'm not saying to go get the vax. I'm saying look into the risks, apply them to your situation and decide for yourself. Also, don't give other people a hard time over their choice.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm
Bede wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:50 am I'm curious, you said that you're well versed in science. Sorry to be a dick, but what's the most advanced science course you've ever taken?
B.Sc. Hons Chem. You?
Ok fair- you're well versed. Most people who are "well versed in science" have spent their time learning science on Youtube.

Anyways, to answer your question, PhD. Biophysics.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm
Do you read your own "proof"?
Of 3 482 295 individuals vaccinated with BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech), 48 developed myocarditis or myopericarditis within 28 days from the vaccination date compared with unvaccinated individuals (adjusted hazard ratio 1.34 (95% confidence interval 0.90 to 2.00); absolute rate 1.4 per 100 000 vaccinated individuals within 28 days of vaccination (95% confidence interval 1.0 to 1.8)).
At the same time, there are higher risks of long term negative effects from COVID itself.
Ya missed a bit there son...
Conclusions Vaccination with mRNA-1273 was associated with a significantly increased risk of myocarditis or myopericarditis in the Danish population, primarily driven by an increased risk among individuals aged 12-39 years, while BNT162b2 vaccination was only associated with a significantly increased risk among women.
Anyways, like I told Bede above; I don't give a dead rat's ass if you or anyone else gets the COVID vaccine. Weigh the risks, apply them to your situation, and decide for yourself. If you don't agree with someone else's decision, disagree as vigorously as you want; just do it in your own head, silently. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody cares what you think.

If you give me your address I'll have Amazon send you some sand and a hammer with which to pound it.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm Anyways, to answer your question, PhD. Biophysics.
...what the hell are you doing wasting your life flying airplanes dude? :smt040

You're almost qualified enough to teach at Seneca....

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm
Bede wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm Anyways, to answer your question, PhD. Biophysics.
...what the hell are you doing wasting your life flying airplanes dude? :smt040

You're almost qualified enough to teach at Seneca....
lol. At the end of my post doc I had to decide, go into academia all in, or keep flying. At the time I was a part time FO at WestJet. I made just a hair more than my fully tenured supervisor who was recruited from Harvard to LU. No brainer.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Bede wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:10 pmlol. At the end of my post doc I had to decide, go into academia all in, or keep flying. At the time I was a part time FO at WestJet. I made just a hair more than my fully tenured supervisor who was recruited from Harvard to LU. No brainer.
The fully tenured supervisor had a heck of a lot more job security...

Return to “Covid”